Glock Firearms banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,283 Posts
Plus--as we all know--the most important safety, which is the trained human holding the Glock.
Oh I have pics of a non trained human front press checking a 21 with his finger on the trigger.

·
Registered
359 Posts
WRT the OP: my G30 9 and 10 round mags are very, very stiff. Loading a full mag into the gun with the slide closed is very difficult. I’ve tested the gun in this +1 configuration and it does work. That said, when I carry the G30, it is loaded to mag capacity with one in the chamber (i.e. with a 9 round mag, there is one round in the chamber and 8 in the mag). I have tried all the tricks to soften up the mag springs, but they are still very stiff.

With all of my other glocks (all 9mm), I can easy load +1 without a problem.

·
Registered
396 Posts
WRT the OP: my G30 9 and 10 round mags are very, very stiff. Loading a full mag into the gun with the slide closed is very difficult. I’ve tested the gun in this +1 configuration and it does work. That said, when I carry the G30, it is loaded to mag capacity with one in the chamber (i.e. with a 9 round mag, there is one round in the chamber and 8 in the mag). I have tried all the tricks to soften up the mag springs, but they are still very stiff.

With all of my other glocks (all 9mm), I can easy load +1 without a problem.
My G30 mags are tight also. When I carry a 30, I carry 2 9 rd. mags, each one less than capacity.
8 + 8 + 1 is enough for me.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Went shooting today with a DOC Officer. Learned that she does not carry one in the chamber when off duty because she is required to carry without one in the chamber while at work.

There is a lot to be said for consistency and muscle memory, but what to you all think?
What would you do in her situation?

·
Glockin’ since 1993
38,845 Posts
Went shooting today with a DOC Officer. Learned that she does not carry one in the chamber when off duty because she is required to carry without one in the chamber while at work.

There is a lot to be said for consistency and muscle memory, but what to you all think?
Probably an agency that has little faith in their officers being responsible. Administration weighing liability over life of their people.
Basically comes down to the old adage, “would you rather be judged by 12 or carried by 6?”
I’ve had a few jobs that I violated company policy when it came to firearms.

·
Premium Member
13,283 Posts
Here’s where this “one in the chamber” gets me. What about revolvers? If your uncomfortable carrying a Glock +1. There are DA/SA semi autos you can carry.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
38,845 Posts
The department just switched from .357 revolvers to the G45. Policies might change as administration's comfort grows.
Big jump transitioning from revolvers to autos. Lots of agencies had issues and incidents.
Once the agency gets adequate training and familiarity hopefully the empty chamber policy will end.
A thing I find interesting, large agencies, I’d imagine a State DOC would be, usually are given a technical package along with the guns and gear. The area LE firearm rep provides training to agency designates that will become armorers and instructors. Firearm training, policy and procedures manuals are also supplied.
Funny thing is most agencies made the switch in the 1990’s.

·
Premium Member
13,283 Posts

In your friends case I’d keep it the same as she is required at work. Otherwise she may forget to rack a round at work, or think she has one in the chamber when off duty. Kind of a crappy situation, imo.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used to carry my 1911 45 auto "cocked and locked" with one in the chamber, in a holster that had a strap holding the hammer back, I found myself checking the safety regularly. I carried a 44 Bulldog in a holster or in my pocket concealed. I carried the Glock with one in the chamber. My thought was if you are in a close conflict scuffle or fight your gun needs to come out ready to go, you may not get the time to chamber a round and fire

·
Registered
396 Posts
In your friends case I’d keep it the same as she is required at work. Otherwise she may forget to rack a round at work, or think she has one in the chamber when off duty. Kind of a crappy situation, imo.
I was leaning toward that opinion also. Like I said, there is value in consistency. However, there is also value in one on the chamber.

Thanks all for sharing your thoughts.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
38,845 Posts
Was expecting the video to be trash but it wasn’t. Although he could’ve delved deep in testing he basically nailed the points that a good holster is paramount and carrying with one in the chamber is ideal.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
38,845 Posts
I worked in a jail for a short while. No guns allowed in the facility except shotguns for roof duty. Pistols were allowed for transport.
Your point is valid though. If they train you to rack one in the chamber, that will become your response. Not a fan but it is what it is.
If the Israelis have been doing it for ages I guess it’s not completely without merit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Was expecting the video to be trash but it wasn’t. Although he could’ve delved deep in testing he basically nailed the points that a good holster is paramount and carrying with one in the chamber is ideal.
I stumbled upon it just the other day and thought it was good. It shows how quickly a bad guy can close on you and how easily and often minor errors happen. I say minor because he was able to get shots on target. However, if the paper targets had arms and hands, he would not have gotten those shots off before the bad guy had put his hands on him.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts