Glock Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a recent conversation with a State Trooper friend of mine. He said that when he joined the State Police (about 15 years ago), as the department switched from Beretta to Glock, there was a firearms instructor who told the Troopers that Glock pistols were not designed to carry a full magazine, plus 1 in the chamber. If I understand this correctly, it is not recommended to insert a full magazine, chamber a round, then remove the magazine, insert another round in the magazine and reinsert the magazine into the firearm. I don't see anything about this in the manual. Anyone have any thoughts on the why?

·
Premium Member
ıסмм
184 Posts
Had a recent conversation with a State Trooper friend of mine. He said that when he joined the State Police (about 15 years ago), as the department switched from Beretta to Glock, there was a firearms instructor who told the Troopers that Glock pistols were not designed to carry a full magazine, plus 1 in the chamber. If I understand this correctly, it is not recommended to insert a full magazine, chamber a round, then remove the magazine, insert another round in the magazine and reinsert the magazine into the firearm. I don't see anything about this in the manual. Anyone have any thoughts on the why?
My thoughts on why is simply the "instructor" was misinformed.

·
Super Moderator
73,251 Posts
My thoughts on why is simply the "instructor" was misinformed.
Agreed, I always carry my Glocks with a full magazine and one in the chamber.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
38,820 Posts
I’ve heard many expert opinions on “correct” loading, maintenance and usage of firearms. Some were plain wrong.
There were top gun writers and trainers that said the Glock was too dangerous for civilian use back in the late 80’s and early 90’s. Most if not all of them reversed their views over the years.
Research and come to your own conclusions.
Myself and I’d dare say most members here, feed one in the chamber off the magazine then top off the mag for carry.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
So let me get this straight,if there was any truth to this claim,it would be the fault of glock oem mag that would not feed 100 % reliably unless you were sling shotting a round into a empty chamber?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So let me get this straight,if there was any truth to this claim,it would be the fault of glock oem mag that would not feed 100 % reliably unless you were sling shotting a round into a empty chamber?
I thought the same thing, that an OEM mag ought to feed reliably. Seemed like an odd thing to teach the Troopers.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
38,820 Posts
Some might say regarding certain firearms that having a fully loaded mag could cause excessive pressure on the slide or bolt and hamper the feeding cycle. I don’t recall having this issue in any Glocks.
Slamming home a fully loaded mag on a closed slide or bolt could also cause deformation of the top round too. I have seen that but wasn’t too concerned.

·
Registered
1 Posts
NEVER ever heard that! Sounds like personal preference to me! I have always carried with one in the chamber! In a self defense situation "Time is very important."

·
Registered
643 Posts
Many "experts" are only expert at convincing you they are an expert.
Have carried a Glock since '93ish, and always carry +1. All my LE friends carry that way.
Some magazines, and maybe even some Glock mags, will be hard to seat on a closed chamber, but I haven't run across that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry,

Kind of old thread, but just saw this. Back in the late 80’s and early 90’s it was common for LEO’s to carry -1 in the mag. Yes, there were rumors that with a full mag and one in the chamber could cause a failure in the cycle of operation. This was because when fully loaded the gen I and II mags had a pretty stiff spring in them. Also, back then there was no ‘interweb’ to ask questions to. Even high speed spec ops types would go -1 in the primary weapon mags. Times change, but it doesn’t make the old days stupid.

Respectfully,

Aaron

·
Registered
643 Posts
Sorry,

Kind of old thread, but just saw this. Back in the late 80’s and early 90’s it was common for LEO’s to carry -1 in the mag. Yes, there were rumors that with a full mag and one in the chamber could cause a failure in the cycle of operation. This was because when fully loaded the gen I and II mags had a pretty stiff spring in them. Also, back then there was no ‘interweb’ to ask questions to. Even high speed spec ops types would go -1 in the primary weapon mags. Times change, but it doesn’t make the old days stupid.

Respectfully,

Aaron
Not sure anyone is saying one is right and one is wrong, just wondering what others do. It may help someone make a decision, or answer the question of why some do and some don't.

Reactions: RevV and elk creek

·
Registered
18 Posts
When I got my first Glock in 1987 it was a new unfamiliar, design for the trigger safety and there were accidental/unintentional discharges caused by everything from the design of the original bullet box to simple mishandling. Carrying a combat firearm without one in the camber seems ill advised, a proper holster with the trigger protected would seem mandatory. I would guess people have been shot presenting a gun with an empty chamber having forgotten to chamber a round.

·
Registered
993 Posts
We still have guys that want to download our AR mags by two.
I had to write it in policy that's not allowed.
Some do the same with their pistol mags and others load their pistol mags to 16 because it can fit. So another policy written that the mags will hold 15, no more, no less and your chamber is to be loaded and still have 15 in the mag.

🤬

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have seen a video on here by two or three guys on shooting that highly recommend that you carry a Glock downloaded by at least one round (it maybe even was 2 rounds) but these were pretty experienced guys. But I really don't remember what their reason was if they said. But it seems that it was to avoid some issue with the gun, but why would Glock make a magazine to fit a gun that had to be downloaded by some number of rounds ?

I don't carry +1 normally but if I was pretty sure I was going into a battle situation I sure would !

·
Premium Member
13,272 Posts
I’ve had to draw my weapon 1x. I had to beat a knife. I promise if I had to rack my slide I’d have been probably stabbed. As it ended up. The guy didn’t clear the knife before I cleared my pistol. Luckily he tossed the knife. Fwiw.

·
Registered
18 Posts
To over simplify, when the last round is fired and the slide is locked back, you slap a fresh magazine in and let the slide go forward, you now have 16 rounds in the mag with one in the camber, thats how the pistol should be loaded. Carried in a proper holster with trigger protection, and never in the waistband of your sweat pants or tucked in your jeans on the dance floor doing back flips

1 - 20 of 61 Posts