Washington Okay to open carry in bars?

Discussion in 'North West USA' started by scott_see, Jan 29, 2014.

1. scott_see

scott_see New Member

So it's illegal to conceal carry in "no minors" area of bars, but is it okay to open carry in them? I don't remember reading anything about this.

2. snippy07

snippy07 New Member

It may depend on state regulations. I know here in Florida at the bar is a big no no. In the restaurant is ok. But def not in the bar area. There's a lot of grey area, best to err on the side of caution.

3. snippy07

snippy07 New Member

And obviously Florida is not an open carry state. (Unfortunately)

4. MLSG19gen4

MLSG19gen4 Certified Glock Armorer Lifetime Supporting Member

Same is true here in Michigan:In the restaurant is ok. But def not in the bar area. Even if they are in the same building. If you stay in the restaurant area you are OK, but can't go into the bar area. In Michigan, there is always(supposed to be) a clear mark of where the restaurant is and where the bar is. Usually bar is hard floor and restaurant is carpet.

5. scott_see

scott_see New Member

Ill do some more digging and let you know what I find.

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Forum

6. Zack_T92

Zack_T92 New Member

7. nmyg19

nmyg19 Certified Glock Armorer

VA is an oc(NO permit required)/ccp (shall issue) state. it is legal to carry a concealed weapon in a bar, oc is ok (if management allows)but you shall not consume alcohol
    "No person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in Section 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia; may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises. A person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of such a restaurant or club and consumes alcoholic beverages is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. However, nothing in this subsection shall apply to a federal, state, or local law-enforcement officer."

8. jctyler3

jctyler3 Member

The OP is speaking of open carry in a bar. In Michigan it is absolutely legal, with a CPL, to open carry in a bar. You cannot CC in a bar, nor can you open carry without a CPL.

9. g21gen3est93

g21gen3est93 New Member

In wa state I believe I was told and read cannot carry in any place with liquor board. So bars smoke shops and restaurants in the bar area are a no no

10. DoverG2327

DoverG2327 Member

Off topic, but Michigan is an open carry state you can legally walk around carrying a firearm in plan view, but once you pull you shirt down or get a a car your breaking the law. You do not need a CPL to open Carry in Michigan

WE THE PEOPLE

11. g21gen3est93

g21gen3est93 New Member

Same in Washington state

12. DoverG2327

DoverG2327 Member

Now as far as carrying in a bar in the great state of Michigan, you can't carry concealed or open in a establishment that make more revenue from alcohol sales then food sales

WE THE PEOPLE

13. 40caljim

40caljim Active Member Supporter

I would venture a guess that most states would not allow the carry of a firearm where alcohol was openly served and consumed. That would be asking for trouble right there.

14. jctyler3

jctyler3 Member

Sorry, but that is incorrect. In Michigan, if you have a CPL, you can open carry in any bar not posted by the owner. PFZ's only apply to concealed carry.

15. DoverG2327

DoverG2327 Member

Ahh ok your right I apologize I was incorrect I'm not a fan of open carry so I guess I shouldn't have but my two cents in without know all the facts about open carry. IMO tho why in the world would you wanna carry in a bar that just sounds like trouble waiting to happen. Again my OP

WE THE PEOPLE

16. walkingwolf

walkingwolf New Member

NC
    For the same reason anybody carries anywhere. We hear this argument all the time, about "why do you need to carry here, or there?". The truth is nobody, unless they have a crystal ball, knows where a tool may be needed. And parking lots in any location are prime attack points for criminals.

Unless of course you are going to carry to the bar door and then throw the gun back to the car.

17. dtom1776

dtom1776 New Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Disaster waiting to happen.

18. Audioph1x

Audioph1x Well-Known Member

This right here^ yeah, that.

19. g21gen3est93

g21gen3est93 New Member

Actually shooting competitions don't allow alcohol because its a performance enhancer

20. Audioph1x

Audioph1x Well-Known Member

I'll grab the popcorn