Ok this is my first Groundhog climbs a tree in front of me..

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Pat Harmon, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Pat Harmon

Pat Harmon Well-Known Member Supporter

Came home from work,took the scraps and burnables up in the upper yard. I had my back to my dogs,a Dalmatian and Pit Bull Mix...I hear a big ruckus and turned to see something run into the fence then go under it. It ran to the fencerow and skittered right up a tree 12-14 ft.. I ran to the house to get a weapon,but he managed to get back down and I didn't find him..Been after him for a few weeks,but everytime I open the back door,he bolts to his hole.. 117206460_10157286197056674_7155054252778124560_o.jpg

2. John in AR

John in AR Well-Known Member Supporter

I won't preach or judge, but just something to consider. If your gun had been on you - even a little one - the quest might have been ended at that point..?

There are times I'm not carrying what a lot of people would consider a real gun; nothing more than a little pocket 380. That's usually when I'm right at home or just out on the property and not around other people, but that little gun has killed LOTS of critters in situations very much like you encountered. Carrying a big one can be a hassle, but carrying the little one has paid off many times.

Old Bloke likes this.

3. Pat Harmon

I work for Penn Dot and I am not allowed to have a weapon in my car. I literally walked in the back door and grabbed the stuff and let the dogs out. It kinda startled me in less than 3 minutes at home..He's a smart little devil. I have been watching him and sneaking out the front door trying to outsmart him..I am losing...lol

Old Bloke, John in AR and Danzig like this.
  4. Watch for him out the back window, then sneak out the front door and wallop him.

Old Bloke likes this.
  5. Pat Harmon

Tried that a few times..He is really quick. I must not be as stealthy as I think I am...

Old Bloke likes this.
  6. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
  7. John in AR

Yeah, that would be a hard position to be in. As a smarter man than me once said, “all you can do is all you can do”. Maybe the dogs will turn it into a game. Or make a new friend..? :cool:

Old Bloke and Danzig like this.
  8. j102

j102 Well-Known Member

Call your wife on your way home and ask her to get the 22lr ready by the door. Come in, grab the gun, and come out shooting.

wrpNYFL likes this.
  9. Olga17

Olga17 C19 sounds like G19 Supporter

I used to catch hell from the wifey years ago.
    Would shoot 22 LR from in the kitchen, open the door and then remove screens from screen door.
    Lay on kitchen table and shoot the foxes, we had many chickens and ducks back then.
    This was a stealth mode advantage for me!

This was always done early morning but the smell of powder tends to linger.

Old Bloke, j102, wrpNYFL and 2 others like this.
  10. John in AR

I've only done a few animals that way, but it works very well. I tend to be lazy and just view the security cameras on my phone to see movement out there rather than watching out the windows themselves. It lets you see multiple areas of the yard at one time, without having to move around from window to window, or even get out of your chair.

Southlake likes this.
  11. mattm

mattm last one, I promise Supporter

To get a rodent, ya' gots to think like a rodent. 1543525525259-1697051927.png

12. Pat Harmon

One of my coworkers said the same thing today ...I laughed then and now again...

Old Bloke likes this.
  13. Olga17

Olga17 C19 sounds like G19 Supporter

14. Old Bloke

Old Bloke Why Me Lord ? Why Me! Supporter

[​IMG]

The ultimate Rodent /Vermin control kit

Olga17, mattm and Danzig like this.
  15. mattm

Hold my beer. DSCN0516.JPG.jpg

16. Danzig

Texas
    That’s just ridiculous, Pat doesn’t have his pilots license.

Old Bloke, mattm and Pat Harmon like this.
  17. Pat Harmon

Mr groundhog will be meeting this soon..Now, he's starting to tear up my yard.. 20200812_160146.jpg

Old Bloke and Danzig like this.
  18. Danzig

Texas
  19. Old Bloke

Old Bloke Why Me Lord ? Why Me! Supporter

[​IMG]

After several weeks of having a Groundhog out wit him.......Pat decided it was time for the gloves to come off :mad:

wrpNYFL, mattm and Danzig like this.
  20. mattm

Careful what ya' wish for.. 20200418_212826.jpg

wrpNYFL and Danzig like this.