Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking thru the 2011 CCW manual online, as they don't have one there for 2012 (dunno why.. ) It doesn't say much detail on whether you are required to cover the trigger of the handgun or not. I know it is a good idea to, but I was looking thru different ideas to carry and one was the belt clip, kinda like what is on many knives for a pocket clip. Nice idea, but the trigger is not protected. Is there any laws that require the trigger to be covered? Looking mainly for Ohio. Where would you find out?

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/...ublications/Concealed-Carry-Laws-Booklet.aspx

·
Dude
246 Posts
I was looking thru the 2011 CCW manual online, as they don't have one there for 2012 (dunno why.. ) It doesn't say much detail on whether you are required to cover the trigger of the handgun or not. I know it is a good idea to, but I was looking thru different ideas to carry and one was the belt clip, kinda like what is on many knives for a pocket clip. Nice idea, but the trigger is not protected. Is there any laws that require the trigger to be covered? Looking mainly for Ohio. Where would you find out?
]
That's about the only place to look. I don't believe there are any laws governing HOW you have to carry it, however...if you do use one of those clips, DO NOT carry the gun 'hot'. i.e. one in the chamber...that's just ASKING for negligent discharge.

Those things scare me.

·
Call me Bronco...
133 Posts
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf

I would avoid the clip as well!!! Tommy Theis http://theisholsters.com/ makes a great holster that is light and comfortable for $55. I'm in Cleveland and there is a guys here that makes custom holsters that are outstanding http://www.zlogonje.com/blog1.php

I have both and they are IWB. There has been a lot of people very unhappy with the clip just from the comfort aspect alone not to mention safety.

PS Without one in the chamber you might as well carry a hammer in your pocket...

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
The simple answer to your question is no. There are no laws in Ohio that say you have to have the trigger covered. Obviously you know that it isn't exactly a great idea though.

There used to be wording in there that stated that if you were in a vehicle it either had to be "in a holster, on your person" or "in a locked compartment/purse/bag etc." That changed last year in September.

There isn't a 2012 book because there hasn't been anything that has changed legally since 2011. No need to print a new book if nothing has changed I guess.;)

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,592 Posts
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

My PF-9. I've been carrying it between the belt and the waistband since I bought it. Trigger is heavy and long. No worries about AD/ND.

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wasn't sure how safe they'd be, which is what made me wonder about the laws. I saw them while looking at some PT111s. Doubt that I'd use one, unless it was on something like the PT111 or the PF-9 like Danzig's - designed to make you fire it, not release a hammer to fire it...

Was looking at this site ( http://www.zlogonje.com/blog1.php ) and I like the one for the LCP, but that looks like it'd be very easy to knock out!

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,592 Posts
Some open tops make me nervous. With leather I like a thumbsnap for weapon retention. Kydex has excellent retention and is open top. You might want to look at those.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just got my ccw. Been carrying my G27 with the clip draw in my pants and it hasn't went off yet. If I was carrying a fire extinguisher it would only go off if I squeeze the trigger. Same goes for the GLOCK.

Product Gadget Font Technology Electronic device

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
SHUB281 said:
Just got my ccw. Been carrying my G27 with the clip draw in my pants and it hasn't went off yet. If I was carrying a fire extinguisher it would only go off if I squeeze the trigger. Same goes for the GLOCK.
That doesn't mean you couldn't bump it or god forbid drop it in a movie theater or something. Just be careful

·
Lurker
106 Posts
If you are really interested in a minimalist holster, you should consider the Raven Concealment Vanguard or Vanguard 2. They are minimalist holsters but still cover the trigger. I dont have one.... yet... :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Their is no law regarding holsters in Ohio thankfully. The last thing I want is a politician dictating what kind of holster I have to use. Law aside I have a rule that I will not use a holster that does not cover the trigger. Personal choice not government mandate.

·
195 Posts
That doesn't mean you couldn't bump it or god forbid drop it in a movie theater or something. Just be careful
That's what the striker safety is for. Not going to go off unless you pull the trigger so use the M.I.C. to cover trigger and it should be fine with the clip.
I use a holster though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My hip on one side and my clothing and belt on the other side covers the trigger. GLOCK is only "half cocked" so bumping it won't cause a discharge. I would have to have a hook penetrate my clothing at a vertical angle, disengage the trigger safety while pulling straight back and releasing the striker. The odds of that happening are as about as high is ever having to present the weapon.

·
Carry on my friends!!!!
974 Posts
Clipdraws won't unsecure unless you use force to remove it and it won't magically come undone. Also if you drop your glock it does have a drop safety.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use a MIC holster to carry my G26 and love it. It is so fast to put on and go it's ridiculous. I have a supertuck crossbreed that I switch back and forth on...but in a hurry I always reach for the MIC first. It makes it impossible to have an ND with one.

·
Registered
95 Posts
cutlass327 said:

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/files/Publications/Publications-for-Law-Enforcement/Concealed-Carry-Publications/Concealed-Carry-Laws-Booklet.aspx
In Ohio there is no mandate for a holster even while in your vehicle. On the AG site you will see updates, just slowly. Also you can stay current with Ohioans for Concealed Carry. They will give you great info and back it up with code sections and case law.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In Ohio there is no mandate for a holster even while in your vehicle. On the AG site you will see updates, just slowly. Also you can stay current with Ohioans for Concealed Carry. They will give you great info and back it up with code sections and case law.
Thank you, good to know!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts