Glock Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

· Registered
401 Posts
bhale187 said:
Very cool story, my kids are still a bit young for anything other than firearm safety training (3 and 6 years old). For my daughter's 7th birthday I'm thinking of either getting her a high powered break barrel pellet gun or else a (her pick) pink Cricket 22 rifle.
Don't go with the break barrel pellet gun. Takes to much leverage and strength. Start with 22.

· Banned
14,103 Posts
Don't go with the break barrel pellet gun. Takes to much leverage and strength. Start with 22.
Very true...when I started teaching my daughter to shoot at 10 years

old, I thought the springer (break barrel) would be a good way to start,

but I had to break and load after each shot due to the strength factor

involved with the loading process. Then, when I decided to skip right

to the .22 rifle, she had no problem working the bolt, which led to a

feeling of accomplishment because she did the whole process herself.

I can still she her smiling as she tore a single ragged hole in that target.

Here's the rifle...

· Premium Member
4,099 Posts
I had thought about her being unable to do it herself, which is fine as I won't let her shoot alone. I had not considered the sense of accomplishment she'll miss out on, good point.

· Registered
401 Posts
bhale187 said:
I had thought about her being unable to do it herself, which is fine as I won't let her shoot alone. I had not considered the sense of accomplishment she'll miss out on, good point.
Agreed they like to do it all on their own. My sons first gun was a 20 gauge 870. And he would get frustrated when I hovered and helped load, rack, aim etc. Finally I just backed off and let him go. Then he started grinding the clay pigeons. I help coach kids trap and he was 7.

· Banned
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I bought my 11 year old a Ruger 10/22 for his Bday and told hims to pick out any accessories he wanted . Only catch was he had to install them. Well he picked out the Archangel kit , a try mag kit , front grip lol , flash light , nc star scope and a cool skull magazine release...I sat with him but he did all the work ..It was a great father / son project .. I also recently got him a S&W 22a ... He is a really good shot.

Now my 9 year old daughter wants a rifle , but we have to get the hello Kitty stock LMAO !!!!
Awesome story man, good to see that people are teaching children how to responsibly handle firearms at a young age :)

· Premium Member
4,099 Posts
Posted this on the Marlin forum, figured I'd share it in this 22lr thread too

This is my Dad's old Model 99 M1 squirel gun. He gave me all his guns to hold for awhile during a move. After he got moved back in and I returned all his guns he told me to go ahead and keep this one. Great family heirloom, alot of memories of hunting and target shooting this gun with Dad.

It's a dead on shooter, I had to polish the feed ramp a couple times, and replaced the magazine tube assembly once. It's got thousands and thousands of rounds down the pipe and still spits em out right where you aim.

Attachments

· Banned
739 Posts
Very cool story, my kids are still a bit young for anything other than firearm safety training (3 and 6 years old). For my daughter's 7th birthday I'm thinking of either getting her a high powered break barrel pellet gun or else a (her pick) pink Cricket 22 rifle.

I agree . I never started my kids off with pellet guns but actually may with our 4 year old . Training is key . My 4 year old won't even point a nerd gun at your face ... LOL

· Registered
114 Posts
Went out today and zero our 22's. An old 19 shot Marlin and two 10/22's. Bought a case of Remington Cyclones and every other one was a pop or crack. Made for a tough time zeroing our scopes for 50 yards. I woild auggest staying away from Remington Cyclones for awhile at least. I think we got a bad batch of bullets.

· Registered
295 Posts
Marty said:
Went out today and zero our 22's. An old 19 shot Marlin and two 10/22's. Bought a case of Remington Cyclones and every other one was a pop or crack. Made for a tough time zeroing our scopes for 50 yards. I woild auggest staying away from Remington Cyclones for awhile at least. I think we got a bad batch of bullets.
Thanks for the advice. I've got some Elly Prime Aguilla round nose & a box of 525 bulk pack of Winchester hollow points. haven't tried the Winchester yet.

69 Posts
bhale187 said:
I just got my 10 year old daughter a pink Crickett. Great little gun! She loves it!

Attachments

· Premium Member
4,099 Posts
I just got my 10 year old daughter a pink Crickett. Great little gun! She loves it!
Awesome.

I backed out of buying my daughter one for her birthday or Christmas, I was close, but just never did it. I'm still torn on getting the cricket or a 10/22 in pink. The cricket is obviously lighter and shorter LOP (I think), but I'm leaning towards the 10/22 because its a gun she could keep and use forever along with upgrading it later if she wants.

I spent the day today looking for a pink camo 20ga for my 17 year old niece for deer hunting. No luck at the gun shop, Scheels had them in the Mossberg 500 Bantham, but she wanted a Remington 870. Looks like she's going to buy a synthetic 870 and DIY pink camo dip or else duracoat it.

· Registered
2,764 Posts
For my wife and I, a couple of nice Beretta Neos pistols.
I picked up a Neos about a month ago to have something cheap to plink with.
It's a lotta fun. I just have the plain black, although I like the colored insets.
Accurate, easy to field strip, and eats any ammo.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts