Off Body Carry

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by BLCKWLF, Apr 25, 2012.

1. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Anyone carry off body? Like in a Maxpedition Versi-pak, a briefcase, backpack, fanny pack, "Glock Purse", or Jacket?

What are your opinions?

Experiences?

Pros and cons?

I am really looking into getting an Ares Armor RAD Pack. Really cool!

http://www.aresarmor.com/install/ecom-prodshow/RADPACK.html
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0FMspTizyU[/ame]

2. Blades

Blades Senior Member

I shy away from max stuff, but I have carried my G30sf inside my Remora holster in one of the pockets of my Paladin/S.O. Tech "Mission Go Bag".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure about the Ares pack. I suppose with practice you'll be quick, but it may take a lot of practice. I like that it has armor, and plates can be added for more protection.

3. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Nice bag! Sorta screams "tactical gun freak" though...

4. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

I generally discourage off body carry. It has to be done correctly to be able to deploy the weapon and to minimize the risk of losing the weapon.

On the occasions that I do, I have a Maxpedition Jumbo LEO Versipack. I have their holster, which I adjusted for my Glock and has held every gun I've put in it, without needing adjustment. It's probably one of the better ways to carry off body, because it puts the gun right where it needs to be and even if you're looking at it, you wouldn't know it's there. There's more than enough room to carry whatever you need; I've even stuffed gym shorts & a t-shirt in it. Of course, I couldn't put my work clothes in it after I changed...

Whatever you use has to be securely on the body. That's one of the reasons I like the Maxpedition; the strap is designed to go across the body and it has a "belt" strap that you can use to secure it to your waist. I've never felt a need to use it, so it's removed and folded away.

Ultimately, it depends on when/how you plan to use it. That's what will determine what will work best for you. The ARES looks cool, but I'm sure it's $$ and I don't carry a backpack enough to use it. I'd have to see it in person and try it out to be comfortable that there was nothing that could go wrong during deployment. One thing I don't like is the deployment; there's no way to be discreet about it, should the situation call for it.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  5. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

I have a gun purse with a special gun compartment for off body carry but only use it when I don't have the option to carry on body. I prefer on body carry. Off body doesn't seem as secure to me. You have to really be conscious of where your purse, bag, etc is at all times and who's around.

6. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Gotta admit its pretty BA though! That's my main concern is the security of the firearm. I like it to be on my person but should that be impractical..,. What method do you think is best.

7. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

Oh, it is that! What method is best? That depends on you and the situations you'd likely to carry off body. I'm far more likely to throw the Maxpedition over my shoulder than I am to put on backpack, especially because you would have wear it with both straps on all the time, unless there's some alternate deployment method, at which point you have to ask why you spent the extra $ on it in the first place?

Even when I carry a backpack, unless I'm carrying it for a long time, it's only going to be on one shoulder. Long standing habit and one that's hard to break.

8. TheKraken

TheKraken Surviving Covid-19 Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

I use to carry my G19 off body in my brief case until about 10 years ago when my briefcase was stolen at a hotel in Dallas. I lost all my work, my laptop and yes, my G19. I of course called the Police. They came out and took a report and then afterwards really read me the riot act. I mean they let me have it for not carrying my firearm on me. If I would have been carrying it on me, it wouldn't have been stolen. They told m that the CCL is a license to carry the firearm on my body and not license to carry it where someone can get to it must less steal it. I just stood there and listened and took everything they told me in stride. After getting my butt chewed out royally, they shook my hand and told me to keep my firearm on my body at all times. I said yes sir and I have never carried off my body since. Lesson learned on my part.

9. dslmac2

dslmac2 New Member

I do carry a backpack days I do not have baggy enough shirts. It is a Acteryx Hiking backpack with my iPad, FlashDrives and other tech stuff, but it has a nice pocket on the top part and the G26 in a Blackhawk size 5 holster fits great.

I keep it open in the car, zip it when walking. I do agree that it is not the best and/or quickest way to protect myself, but usually I do this to and from work.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  10. thinkricky

thinkricky Member Supporter

This is so funny. I was just thinking about this today. Putting mine in my briefcase.

11. Blades

Blades Senior Member

Oh yeah, with all the patches on it, it sure does. If I take them off, then its better. :D

12. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

My first impression when seeing your pictures are that I can't help but think that your weapon is loaded. The magazine is in and the trigger is forward. But it appears the LCI indicates there is an empty chamber (maybe) it's hard for me to tell in the photograph.

From others experiences, I have learned soft bags and soft holsters are a bad way to carry loaded firearms. The trigger needs positive coverage to prevent anything from entering the guard when stored to prevent a ND. Of course pressure on the side of the holster can cause this too.

Try to make it a practice to store all unused guns empty. If you are going to have a weapon stored loaded, maybe an extra holster with a positive trigger guard would be better for safety.

Many of the oldtimers have witnessed the bag grab, go bang! gun. Worst thing in the world at the range and only lady luck is left to keep you and yours from harm.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  13. When I go on business trips and have to stay in a hotel, this is my carry travel case. You know, JIC. This is a Samsonite briefcase.

[​IMG]

14. thinkricky

thinkricky Member Supporter

I'm impressed.

15. Blades

Blades Senior Member

It does have an empty chamber. The Remora holster does a good job of protecting the trigger, no concern there.

Nice! What does it weigh when fully loaded?

16. LOL, not sure, never weighed it. But ~ 160 rounds of ammo, and two pistols, plus case, cleaning kit....

17. While I'm not a big fan of off body carry, it's a lot better than not carrying. Whatever method you choose, be sure to practice your presentation a lot.

18. littleposerfish

littleposerfish New Member

good god! lol.

19. littleposerfish

littleposerfish New Member

as for "off body carry", i would rather have it at my fingertips sort of say. you never know how fast you will need that puppy out you know?

20. If you don't mind the asking, what is it you do to require carrying that kind of set up? Just looking at it and thinking about the weight of carrying it all around makes me want to go see a chiropractor.