Glock Firearms banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone gone through an NRA Basic Pistol Instructor Course and became certified to instruct other people? I'm going through the course in a month or so and I only know its a 16 hour course and "x" amount of money but don't actually know any details. Thanks!

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
You take the course, which is mostly dry lecture, but pay attention.

There is a written test which is numbered. You fill up the form as a last step in the class, and mail it to the NRA together with your payment. You will never know your score (at least, I haven't, for any of my certifications), but in a couple of weeks will get your NRA Instructor parchment and ID card (which is a paper credit card sized thing and will bear your certifications and your Instructor Number (which is actually your NRA Membership ID number) and which I recommend laminating). Unless they have changed the procedures, the cert is good for a year on the first year. When you renew for the first year, you will receive a questionnaire which you fill up and send to the NRA with your renewal fee. After that, you can renew online and pay with a credit card, and can renew for up to four years. One of the things you will be asked is if you want to be listed as an Instructor for your zip code area on the NRA website, together with your phone and/or email address.

In the actual training class, you will cover the entire Basic Pistol Course (the whole booklet) and then you will focus on how to train, and if your training counsellor is like mine was, the truly fun part is the "how to deliver instructions" part. Do not sit in the front of the class unless you want peanut butter on your shoes, LOL!

Overall, it is simple and straightforward, no trigonometry or algebra involved (yeah!) and in many areas of the class and the test it is easy to find the logical conclusion or answer. There is no course of fire involved. And already having a CCW permit is of no benefit. Leastwise it wasn't when I took the class.

The training class to become a Training Counsellor (to be able to teach and certify others to become Instructors) is more involved, more time-consuming, and more expensive, but worth every single cent, too!

You will enjoy it!

Cheers!

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
And the best part is once you are certified, you can then download (from the NRA website) the JPEGs of the NRA logo as well as the NRA Certified Instructor logo to print (by tacit approval) on your business cards!

Talk about legit!

Then, go to your local Sheriff's Office and ask about becoming an Accredited Instructor in your area, if approved after you apply, your name will be on their website as a Certified Instructor! Woot!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Happysniper1 said:
And the best part is once you are certified, you can then download (from the NRA website) the JPEGs of the NRA logo as well as the NRA Certified Instructor logo to print (by tacit approval) on your business cards!

Talk about legit!

Then, go to your local Sheriff's Office and ask about becoming an Accredited Instructor in your area, if approved after you apply, your name will be on their website as a Certified Instructor! Woot!
Ya that's what I'd like to get into actually, I'm in my local LE Academy and I'm trying to plan out my career within the PD and I wouldn't mind instructing other officers and such.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Ya that's what I'd like to get into actually, I'm in my local LE Academy and I'm trying to plan out my career within the PD and I wouldn't mind instructing other officers and such.
I taught Firearms, Use of Force, Baton, Chemical Agents, Pepper Spray, Taser, and other classes in our Department. It is well worth it!

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
I just finished my first day today. Make sure you get into a good instructor's course.

there are a lot of certificate "mills" as it were.

Of to do homework.... day two tomorrow and range day on sunday.

D

·
Administrator
133,389 Posts
Did my class what homework? Only hard part was the pre course with the shooting with a pinched nerve and new glasses please fill us with details on your class

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Did my class what homework? Only hard part was the pre course with the shooting with a pinched nerve and new glasses please fill us with details on your class
No homework?

Interesting.

D

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Do the first test and prep to teach one of the power points.

The TC for this class is excellent. Challenging every step of the way.

D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.