Not glock related... Have issue with my fiat and need some help.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Gun_Aficionado, May 13, 2012.

1. Gun_Aficionado

Gun_Aficionado King of my Castle until my wife comes home Lifetime Supporting Member

Ok folks here is the issue my 1974 fiat spider has the timing all screwed up. I need to know if anyone knows of somebody in Phoenix area that knows these cars and could help me out. Of course willing to pay for said help. Thanks folks for your assistance...

2. Levelcross

Levelcross New Member

Hey dj, not in your area but I might be able to help.

Pull the plug on #1 cylinder and rotate the engine until the piston comes all the way to the top, pop the distributor cap off and see if the rotor button is pointing at where the plug wire for the #1 cylinder should be or somewhere real close.

If so then you are not that far off, if it is pointing 180 deg. away rotate the engine over again until the piston is at the top. Loosen the hold down clamp on the distributor until you can turn it with light effort. Replace the dist. cap and the plug and wire. Try to start the car, if it doesn't start turn the dist cap just a little one direction or the other and try again. You are looking to get it to start, it may not run smooth but to start is the first step.

Once it will start turn the dist. cap a little more in the same direction until it smooths out. If you have a timing light the timing you are looking for is 8.5°BTDC @ 800-850 RPM (most distributors turn clockwise so you want the rotor button to be just before the #1 plug wire) when the car is warmed up. Once you get that snug down the hold down clamp on the dist. and take it for a short drive, just stay close to home until you are sure it will run ok.

Hope this helps you out.

3. Gun_Aficionado

Gun_Aficionado King of my Castle until my wife comes home Lifetime Supporting Member

Thanks level cross I appreciate it will try it out... I read up on these and they said should be on cyl. 4 to start and that the dual over head cam pulleys must be on the dot ( guide markings) I am not sure if to take to a shop I have had really bad lick as I pay a boat load of money and car runs same or worse....

4. Levelcross

Levelcross New Member

Now if you are that confident, give it a try and see just to make sure that everything is in place. Disconnect the vacuum line to the distributor when you are checking the timing with a light. I haven't done a Fiat yet so the #4 cylinder may be correct, Alldata doesn't go that far back for the info. If you can find a Haynes manual it will give you most of the tuneup info. and a fair run down of how to set the timing from scratch.

I hate that some shops charge sooo much, I understand that they have to make money....but $118.00 labor rates are crazy. If I can help any just let me know.

5. You know what Ford means dont ya? Fix it again tony!

Your thinking of a Fiat Dale

6. TampaBaySean

TampaBaySean New Member

Just advance the timing 10* .. O wait nm thats a free way to steal a few points on a race car lol....

7. Gun_Aficionado

Will role up sleeves over the weekend and try to fix! Ty level C. I may be callin on ya.

Nukin I have heard them all and for the most part agree!

8. Gun_Aficionado

Just gives me more chances to hone my mechanical skills... Lol many many more chances... But she does look sweet on the road...

9. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

I live here in Phoenix. Only guy I let touch my truck except me is Gilbert. He owns frontier automotive on cave creek road north of greenway. Great guy, good friend. Don't know if he does fiats but the man is a god of auto knowledge.

10. it's from an early king of the hill episode haha

11. Gun_Aficionado

I think I remember that one... KOH was one of my favorite shows!