Non-Glock, do you carry one in the chamber?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by runman, May 21, 2012.

1. runman

runman New Member

It appears many of you own and/or carry weapons besides Glocks. I have already read the opinions on carrying Glocks with one in the chamber. Would you carry other handguns, without a manual safety, with one in the chamber? Are there any manufacturers you would stay away from? Thanks.

2. american lockpicker

american lockpicker New Member

I carry one in the chamber when I'm carrying a Walther. Also I keep them decocked.

3. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

S&W M&P have the same safeties the Glocks do. So when I carry those I do. If I'm carry for self defense I'm doing so chambered. It also means I'll do what I need to be safe.

4. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

A Springfield XDM 4.5 in .45 ACP is my day carry, one chambered, & riding in a secure holster.

5. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

My only other gun is a .357 revolver so yes, there really is no other option lol.

6. GlockIt

GlockIt Carry on my friends!!!!

Every other gun I carry is in condition one when it's either on or near me.

7. droopieG30

droopieG30 New Member

I prefer condition 3 with my glock. I know every second can make a difference but it doesn't take much time at all to go from condition 3 to 1.

8. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    If it isn't one of my Glocks I carry my LCR, S&W 629 or Colt 1911 cocked and locked.

9. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

Basically all of the polymer frame, striker-fired guns have the same safeties as Glocks. Both my Taurus and Walther pistols have all of the same safeties. My Walthers also decock, though I do not carry them decocked, and both of my Taurus pistols also have thumb safeties, but I choose not use them.

I won't carry 1911s. I don't like having to carry cocked and locked to be safe. The thumb safety is not part of my draw stroke and never has been. My two metal frame Taurus pistols have decockers/thumb safeties, so I can decock them or carry cocked & locked. I generally don't carry them, but if I were to carry them, they would be decocked.

I won't carry my EAA Witness, because it has to be carried cocked and locked. Plus it's huge.

My Sig has to be carried decocked.

Any gun I carry, even if I were stuck carrying something I didn't have muscle memory with, like a 1911, would have a round in the chamber. It's easier to adjust to thumbing off the safety than it would ever be to draw and chamber a round.

10. etbonds

etbonds New Member

Sometimes I grab my sig P290 in a remora pocket holster, a little heavy but a nice gun.

11. EvilD

EvilD New Member

All modern hand guns are made to be carried in condition 1. Said it a million times before, if you aren't' comfortable carrying that way, you probably shouldn't' be carrying.

12. EvilD

EvilD New Member

takes long enough to get shot, stabbed or severely beaten

13. runman

runman New Member

Excellent info all, thanks. Pretty much confirmed my thought, if you don't trust the weapon's safety(s) probably shouldn't trust it when SHTF.

14. rickjames

rickjames Hard Work! Dedication! Supporter

I like that. And agree 110%

15. zipper046

zipper046 Member Supporter

I sometimes carry a Kimber Tactical Ultra (sans magwell)

16. Levelcross

Levelcross New Member

You beat me to the point runman, if I am willing to carry it for SD then it will have one in the chamber, I have a couple of plinkers that I trade around with the buddies and they are always empty unless we are plinking.

The best safety is the one between the ears, if it can keep the booger picker of the boom boom switch everything should be fine.

17. shoognite

shoognite New Member

DB380 and my Walther PK380, are always ready to go bang

18. I actually hate to admit this but I carry my Ruger more than my Glock. I love the safety feature on my LC9, and the size is more comfortable. So in saying so, I carry my Ruger loaded (one in the chamber) but keep the safety on.

19. Condition 1, is so much fun. Anything else is stupid.

Jim

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  20. mcdiver

mcdiver New Member

I carry my Kimber pro carry II with one in the chamber, cocked, and all safety's in place. I have developed the muscle memory that when I draw from the holster, the safety comes off before the weapon is fully out of the holster. In my opinion, if you have to tack the action to load a round, that is the difference between life and death. It drives me crazy that the cops in movies do that. Bad bad writers.