Night sights

Discussion in 'Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights' started by purevilpleasure, Jan 4, 2012.

1. purevilpleasure

purevilpleasure New Member

Iowa
    I've been looking at night sights and would like to hear some first hand experience and reviews.

2. jfirecops

jfirecops New Member

I have XS Bigdots on my carry and I like them a lot for that purpose. I prefer factory Glock night sights for any target shooting.

3. 1108VA

1108VA New Member

I just put a set of TRUGLO TFO fiber optic sights on my model 34 and they seem to work pretty well. They are very bright during daylight hours but also glow in the dark.

4. purevilpleasure

Iowa
    Thanks for the inisght so far....I've looked at the Trueglos.

5. My G22C came from the factory with TruGlo fixed night sights. They work pretty well in my opinion. Easy to pick up at night and during the day.

6. nd4spd3001

nd4spd3001 New Member

Texas
    Go with Truglo TFO sights

Put them on my gen4 Glock 17 last month. They are amazing. Very bright in the day time and glows bright in a pitch dark closet. My wife even puts some holes through the center target. Highly recommended. Good luck with your decision!

7. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

I have Glock Night Sights on all of my Glocks; best bargin and they're every bit as good as the rest. I have Meprolights on the rest of my guns, basically for the same reason; I can get them for less than any of the others and they're every bit as good.

I put XS sights on my Glock 27. I hated them. I found I shot better with 3 dot sights and I could pick them up just as fast, probably because I've been shooting with them all my life. Most people seem to like the XS sights, but most people I've seen comment that they didn't like them felt the same as I do...it wasn't just dislike, but flat out hate. That was $100+ wasted. I sold that gun and didn't regret it for a minute, even though it was otherwise a great shooter. I sold all of my .40s, actually, in favor of 10mm and now .45GAP

8. purevilpleasure

Iowa
    Another question, is it worth the extra dough for the adjustable sights vs. the fixed sights?

9. I prefer OE nights as well.......
    they last like trijicon's and they have bigger dot's on the sights, and they have that nifty little symbol we all love so much;)

10. Kmurray96

Kmurray96 Well-Known Member Supporter

Meprolite nite sites.

11. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

Night sights aren't adjustable except drift adjustable, via sight tool or punch & mallet. If you're talking about regular fixed vs. adjustable, they're only worth it, IMO, if you're competing.

12. purevilpleasure

Iowa
    I've noticed that some people like to only install the front night site while leaving the rear stock, or even blacking it out.

Any thought on this?

Thanks again for everyone's insight....or nitesight to speak.....

13. fls348

fls348 New Member

Alright, I suppose I'm gonna get slammed for saying this but I don't buy into the night sights at all. I've been a LEO for 14+yrs now and have never had them nor ever felt the need to have them. Yes I have been in the mix a few times, still never felt the need to have them.

On my duty G17 I have a Hi-Viz green fiber optic on the front and on the rear is an Ameriglo .180" blacked out tactical sight. I happen to love this set up it just works for me.

On my off duty G19 it sports some basic Aro-Tek 3 dot sights filed out to open up the rear sight to a maximum width.

14. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member Supporter

I have to agree with you. I had them on my duty weapon but can't remember one time they helped me. I suppose in low light conditions while shooting at a stationary target, with plenty of time for sighting in, they might be beneficial. Unfortunately, those of us in law enforcement rarely have a need to use this "Camp Perry" style of shooting.

15. purevilpleasure

Iowa
    Thank you guys, that's some in field opinions that I like to hear also, not just target shooting.

16. kj4963

kj4963 New Member

I like the front sights with the orange ring around the tritium, makes shooting in the day easier IMO.

17. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

I keep putting them on my weapons, but I'm starting to wonder myself. It seems like a good flashlight or weaponlight make more sense. It's nice being able to see your sights, but it's more important to be able to see your target and you're right...you don't really have the time to sight in with them. If you can see your target, what's behind it and because of the weaponlight or proper flashlight use you know where you're gun is pointed, well, that's pretty damn good in 1.5 seconds.

18. The Boar Buster

The Boar Buster New Member

I have Meprolights on my 30sf and I have the xs big dot on my 26. I like the xs for a night stand gun because you cant miss that big glowing dot even if you just opened your eyes from a dead sleep. For carry sights I like the Meprolights.

19. huge fan of the TruGlo's myself......

[​IMG]