Glock Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Always in Learning Mode
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to be able to find a good set of sights that would work well for both target shooting and self defense. While I don't expect to become a world-class range shooter, I would like to be confident in hitting a plate from 50-75 feet, while being able to quickly find a clean sight picture in self defense mode.

After reading through the dozens of posts and threads on sights and night sights, I realize there as many opinions as there are enthusiasts on the forum. Here are the brands/sights I have narrowed down as contenders...

- XS 24/7 Big Dot
- Ameriglo Tritium, 3 DOT G/G, Pro Series
- Meprolight Tru-Dot
- Trijicon Glock Pistol 3 Dot
- Truglo Glock Low TFO

All are priced similarly on Amazon.com (between $78-$90), all seem to have pros and cons, and all seem to be good sights, but I don't have access to trying them out, or even seeing them in person, before buying.

I'm a 40+ year old guy who relies on reading glasses for small print and/or low light condition reading. I'm looking to re-sight my Glock 23 CCW right away, then pick up a Glock 42 in the near future as a summer CCW. I'm a righty, but cross eye dominant and working hard to keep both eyes open while finding my sight picture. One of the issues I'm working to overcome is that when focusing on my front sight, my sight picture is blurry as expected, but is often times blurry in double vision.

SO, with the mini-bio out of the way, of the listed sights, what say you?

Thanks for any and all constructive advice and opinions!

·
Certified Glock Armorer
4,715 Posts
I vote the TFO's, have used all the others. The TFO's work the best in daylight and the same as any other at night.

NRA member, GSSF member, GCA/retired
Sent from my Commodore 64 yesterday ©

·
Registered
566 Posts
Get the new TFX's (Gen 2 TFO's). They just came out and they look awesome, can't wait to get my hands on a set in January. They are about $30 up from your price range though.

·
Always in Learning Mode
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
69,916 Posts
My vote is the TFO's.
I have them on most of my Glocks and prefer them over any other night sights that I have used.

NRA Member...., GSSF Member...., NAGR Member....

·
Always in Learning Mode
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks!

After MUCH research, your suggestions, and reading dozens of reviews, I'm narrowing it down to the XS Big Dot and the Truglo TFX (2nd gen TFO).

My thinking, the XS Big Dots seem to be awesome for close range target acquisition (my primary reason for ccw), and I'm wondering if having to only "dot the i" would help with the double vision I tend to experience through lining up the 3 dots? The new gen Truglo (TFX) seems to have addressed the issue of the tritium tubes sliding, which was my only real concern with the TFOs.

Maybe I'll get one set for my G23 (TFX) and the other for my soon-to-be-coming-home G42 (XS Big Dot). :)

Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
566 Posts
I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks!

After MUCH research, your suggestions, and reading dozens of reviews, I'm narrowing it down to the XS Big Dot and the Truglo TFX (2nd gen TFO).

My thinking, the XS Big Dots seem to be awesome for close range target acquisition (my primary reason for ccw), and I'm wondering if having to only "dot the i" would help with the double vision I tend to experience through lining up the 3 dots? The new gen Truglo (TFX) seems to have addressed the issue of the tritium tubes sliding, which was my only real concern with the TFOs.

Maybe I'll get one set for my G23 (TFX) and the other for my soon-to-be-coming-home G42 (XS Big Dot). :)

Am I missing anything?
Sounds like a good plan to me. I don't care for the "dot the i" type sights but they are popular and I think everyone should try them given the chance.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts

The sight picture of my Ruger SR40C with the XS Big Dots. I have a and G19 a G26. Thinking of the XSBD or Ameriglo Pro I-Dots.

·
I'm a peacock, you gotta let me fly!
998 Posts
I'd pick the TFO over big dot IMO, I loved my TFOs. Thanks for the link to the TFX, I hadn't even heard about them.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
JimRhino,

I have the same eye issues as you. I find the TFO's work very well. I had a set of Heini Straight Eight Ledge that is the dot the i type. I had trouble with those in dim light. OK in the brightest or darkest settings. But the TFO's stand out in all kinds of light. The new TFX looks really good. I have a G17 with stock sights. I'll be purchasing TFX's for it sometime later.

·
Always in Learning Mode
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, was going to order the TFX for my 23 and wait on Big Dots for the 42 (since that one has a shorter sight range), but my bride went ahead and ordered the Big Dots for the 23. She's not a shooter and shops with the $$ in mind. LOL...she's a keeper. Oh well, looks like I'll be trying out the Big Dots in the next couple of days, since they'll be here tomorrow. I still want to get the TFXs, but will now wait a little longer.

Thanks everyone for your input!! I appreciate you all!

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Just a side note. I was at the range one day (Indoor) and the Booth was in dark shadow and target had the bright white lighting (Backlit) it did make it a bit harder for my 64 year old eyes to pick up front sight. Once I got a bit accustomed to the lighting situation (2nd magazine) I shot this with the XS BD

Attachments

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I have the same problem of being cross dominant, but my vision is 20/15. I have the XS Big dots on my GLOCK 23 and really enjoy shooting with me. I am interested in the new TFO sights though.

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems men face."--Ronald Reagan
Watch their hands, hands kill. In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

·
Always in Learning Mode
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just a side note. I was at the range one day (Indoor) and the Booth was in dark shadow and target had the bright white lighting (Backlit) it did make it a bit harder for my 64 year old eyes to pick up front sight. Once I got a bit accustomed to the lighting situation (2nd magazine) I shot this with the XS BD
Niiice grouping! I'm pretty excited to get them mounted and pointed down range!

·
Super Moderator
69,916 Posts
I just installed TFO's on my G19 today. I love them.
ImageUploadedByGlock Forum1419306075.519876.jpg

NRA Member...., GSSF Member...., NAGR Member....

Attachments

·
Registered
546 Posts

The sight picture of my Ruger SR40C with the XS Big Dots. I have a and G19 a G26. Thinking of the XSBD or Ameriglo Pro I-Dots.
Go with some I-Dots, the yellow is better than orange too so you know... I love the sights, I may buy trijicon HDs in yellow as the dot is just as big as the XS but with color and blacked out rear still... I would def try one of the two especially is you like your XS sights

·
Always in Learning Mode
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I left the office early today, but expect the XS' will be waiting on me when I get there on the 24th. Pretty excited!

·
Always in Learning Mode
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Santa delivered the sights and my first attempt at tool-needed-modifications to my 23 was a success! I have yet to get out to the range, but in dry fire practicing, I'm really liking how easy it is to quickly gain a clear sight picture.

Thanks again for everyone's responses! Here are some pictures of the change out...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts