Glock Forum banner

night sights or laser?

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Glocksrgood 
#1 ·
What do you use? Im new here and would like to know whats best. I recently purchased my first Glock. A new Glock 27 gen 4 and I am thinking about upgrading the sights. I would like to know advantages/disadvantages of both. Thanks.

#2 ·
I use night sights (prefer mepros), and TLR-1 taclights. I don't use the laser because I really don't trust them to hold their zero. I've heard people say that a laser is good as a cowitness with iron sights incase you don't trust the laser, but then you're just slowing yourself down more by crossreferencing, ie defeating the purpose of the laser.

IMO, lasers are a great toy, but I would not count on a laser for aiming in a life and death situation.

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks"]]Thanks for the reply. I know what your saying. I would hate to have to use my gun for protection trusting a laser only to find out that the batteries have died.[/quote]

A laser is several things.A laser could change a BGs mind.If you've fallen or are in any situation where you can't line the sights up or only have a weak hand or are too busy moving. I remove mine or turn them off when I target shoot or train.Although a laser is an excellent trigger control aid when practicing because at 7 yds the slightest movement is displayed on the target.The farthert out the more movement.You may think you're holding the gun still, but a 20 yds the dot will move erratically and far.
I've had carried Crimson Trace lasers for a decade now and haven't had any isssue with them not holding zero.http:// I have both NS and laser.

#9 ·
I use Meprolight night sights on all my semis except for the little Ruger LCP. I also use Crimson Trace laser grips for all semis and revolvers, except my G19. I've tried many makes & models but they all seem to change the feel of my grip on the gun and believe me I really wanted them to work.
I would also like to take this chance to mention that the Crimson Trace laser grips & laser guards DO NOT drain the batteries when left on. Batteries are engaged only when the activation button is depressed.

#11 ·
NIght Sights all the way.... dont trust lasers to hold their zero, and dont want them running out of battery.... lasers are a nice toy, but not in SHTF situation

#12 ·
I have never owned a handgun with night sights or a laser before. But if I had to pick one it would be the night sights. I just don't like the thought of buying the best sights that only have a shelf life of 10-15 years. I do like the truglo tfo but I would not trust my life with them. At least for now until they come up with a better product or a better/longer warranty.

#16 · (Edited)
TFO over Viridian Green

We strapped a Viridian SXD on my fiance's XD .40 and it's pretty cool. It's a 10 on the "cool" scale and a ton of fun, but battery life can be an issue. We've only used the thing a few times and already have a dead battery. I might have left it on, or the foam padded case it was stored in might have pressed the button, who know's. The fact is it's dead until I go get another battery. The TFO's on the other hand should glow nice and bright for years to come. I think you'd be better off choosing something that you don't have to worry about, or eventually get both. Also, batteries might be hard to come by in a zombie apocalypse. That was my deciding factor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.