night shift

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement & Military' started by trigger252, Apr 10, 2012.

1. trigger252

trigger252 New Member

Any of you guys ever have problems bc your significant other or wife didn't like for you to be on night shift?

2. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

For the first few years of marriage yes, it was a challenge. We got through it and I got off nights though.

3. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member Supporter

I worked nights for nearly 18 years, but by doing so, it allowed me to have weekends off, which really helped compensate for the sucky hours. When she cashed my paychecks with the additional night premium, that made her REALLY satisfied!

4. trigger252

trigger252 New Member

The reason it came up its bc I got engaged while I was in the police academy and now that I'm graduated and just got hired I will be starting FTO in two days and of course on night shift so my fiancée is worried and I kno she will have problems feeling alone at night so I'm trying to see how you guys have handled it and wat might help

5. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member Supporter

You just need to explain that while in training, you need to be on top of your game and can't be worried whether she is bothered or not. As time progresses, you will bump up in seniority and finally get to pick what days and what hours you work. I sure don't want to pee in your pudding, but wait until you have small ones and you are forced to work the holidays, especially Christmas. Once again, seniority cures all, so just have her hang on a bit!

6. trigger252

trigger252 New Member

Thanks....I appreciate your input

7. SgtShowtime

SgtShowtime New Member

My wife had the biggest complaints when it came to the kids. My son was born while I was in the academy. And you know what happened when he woke up crying and I wasn't there to help. It takes a strong woman to put up with us. You have to do your part by taking advantage of the time you get with your family. That means missing the Mayweather fight to play Scrabble or watching Titanic for the 8th time. Learn to separate the evils of the job from the love of your family RIGHT NOW and she will gladly put up with all the BS.

BTY keep the scary police stories to yourself. Tell your buddies about the crazy guy with the butcher knife. Share the funny stuff with your wife. It will ease her worries if she FEELS that every thing you do isn't so dangerous.

--10 years as a cop---11 years as a husband---9 years as a dad

8. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

Getting a dog made my wife much more at ease with being alone at night. Dog kept here company and served as an early warning system in case someone was lurking about.

That and remind her, as havasu said, in time you'll be off nights, you just have to pay your dues as the rookie.

SgtShowtime has a good point to, I have always left work at work, don't come home telling her your hero stories because all she is going to hear is "I almost got killed tonight". Better to have her thinking you are Barnie Fife in Mayberry than thinking you are Sean Penn in 'Colors'

9. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

Now that I'm with the feds I actually have to work different shifts and my SO hates it! I don't mind it too much except I really miss my son. Right now I'm on the 1600-2400 shift Friday-Tuesday. She works 8-5 Monday through Friday. I never bring home work with me but she always does and that can really make things tough (trying to stay awake while she talks about it).

10. Kmurray96

Kmurray96 Well-Known Member Supporter

A rat terrier. They're a great companion dog, a great alert dog but they don't go crazy barking like a Jack Russell (which comes from the fox terrier side of the breed).

They don't mix well with toddlers, though. Although the dogs want to play with them, small children have a tendency to step on their paws.

11. Kmurray96

Kids are grown. 3rd herd is good for us. We actually sleep better alone. The itty-bitty ol' ma makes animal noises when she snores and I roll over a lot due to the start of arthritis in my hips.

12. trigger252

trigger252 New Member

Haha that's one way to look at it I suppose

13. ckuenzer331

ckuenzer331 Member

My wife hates me on mids!! We've been married almost 2 years now and she's hated every night I've worked... She ends up on my schedule though... My opinion is that this is the schedule I was meant to work, so she's gotten better at dealing with it.

14. ckuenzer331

ckuenzer331 Member

I watched a great friend go through the same thing. He ended up leaving the department I work for, move across the country and work a 4p-2a shift. After a year he got on a SWAT team and his wife threatened to leave him if he didn't quit the team. Good luck Brother!! It is very challenging!!!

15. Kmurray96

With the itty-bitty ol' ma, it was about my union activism. I was in the NJCIT when I was an independent trucker. Me and ol' ma shut down The NJ Truck Stop (Rube's) in JC, NJ by ourselves during the independent truck strike in '79.

Then in the early 80's when I drove for a supermarket chain, I was in the TDU (Teamsters for a Democratic Union) when we went after the corruption with the old "business as usual" Teamsters. I even won a DOL decision against the supermarket chain. Got 42 guys in the union with all benefits with the stroke of a pen. Got death threats during that one. Used to walk out to the lot after work and throw my logbook on the car to see if it would blow up.:eek:

In the NJDOC, I've been a shift rep in two different prisons and was the last one to shut down East Jersey (Rahway). And I did it twice.

I finally announced to ol'ma that I was going to run for Institutional Vice President. She jumped up and screamed, "Enough! Let someone else live the aggravation! You run and I'm taking the dog and leaving."

Now, I really love that dog...:rolleyes:

16. ckuenzer331

ckuenzer331 Member

Wow!!! She walked out huh? That sucks!!!

17. Kmurray96

Nope. She finally convinced me that it was time for the young kids to learn how to walk on their own two feet.

It's hard when you've been a crusader over 30 years to put the shield down. It's even harder to realize that now, you're the old goat.:(

It's one of the reasons I took a third herd bid out of the jail at the minimum camp. I wasn't scared of catching a whooping from an inmate. But I was scared my inability to perform up to par would get another cop hurt.

"A man's got to know his limitations", might be a movie line, but it's got a lot of truth to it.

So, in 10 1/2 months, I'm just going to be gone. Ain't saying good-bye or nothing. I want those guys to one day say, "Hey, anybody see the Skipper around?"

18. ckuenzer331

ckuenzer331 Member

Exactly how I want to leave myself brother!!

19. ckuenzer331

ckuenzer331 Member

Being from the other side of this coin, how do you deal with it?