Next glock, .357,.40,.45?!?

Discussion in 'What Glock Should I Get' started by deadlift560, Jun 17, 2012.

1. deadlift560

deadlift560 New Member

Fell in love with my g19. I want another at tax time. The wife is getting a g26, so I want another too :) figured I'd start looking and I can't make up my mind! I hear the .45 has less recoil then the .40? Just want something more powerful then my 19, just in case :) I want powerful, but less recoil, so the little wife can shoot it. That i can ccw. And readily available ammo in a small country town, aka, Walmart. Lmfao. Thanks guys!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  2. 45sAndHighFives

45sAndHighFives New Member

I would go with the Glock 30 compact size in the big bore .45 great to shoot and handle not as much recoil as you would expect great for CC or home defense if you want that extra stopping power also I would go with sf model for sure

3. deadlift560

deadlift560 New Member

I keep hearing the .45 how does the 30 compare in size/weight to the 19? I think I will need up going .45 but I like the gap, but heard its harder to find. I also really like the .357 round

4. Dragonheart

Dragonheart New Member

If you love your G-19, get a G-36 (single stack 45 acp) and put on magazine extensions to increase the capacity to 8 rounds. It's small frame feels just like your G-19, shoots great and you will fall in love again. I would also recommend doing a simple trigger job by changing out the connector to 3.5 pounds on all guns. Changing out the trigger spring is also simple and will help a little more.

5. deadlift560

deadlift560 New Member

I have never thought of a trigger job. Till the boys get a little older I'm gonna stick with this, so I know they can't pull it just in case. How does the acp and gap rounds compare? I hear the gap was made just for glocks

6. 45sAndHighFives

The Glock 30 dimensions are almost identical to the G19 just a few MM shorter on hight and width as well as that nice 10 + 1 capacity where the g36 has only 6 + 1

7. Grabber GT

Grabber GT New Member

Ohio
    I'm gonna go with the 36. Already have a 21, 19 and a 26.

8. 45sAndHighFives

The 45 GAP is a shorter 45 acp so the grip can be the same size as the 9mm and the 40 more companies make the GAP cartridge now but you basically have to get the ammo online no store I have seen yet carries GAP because Glock is the only pistol chambered in it

9. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

You could always go with a G23 or G32 and get another barrel in the other caliber. Then you can have 40 and 357.

If I were going to get a mini Glock in 45 I would go with the G36 just due to the grip feels awesome. Of course the XDs45 is still calling my name so that may be why I like the G36 too.

10. deadlift560

deadlift560 New Member

I really don't know. What's the biggest difference between .357 and .45 in glock? I want compact at least. Ammo price, and recoil would be biggest things. Recoil most. Want something my wife can shoot too lol

11. ash1012

ash1012 New Member

I am a big fan of the 40 cal. More power than a 9 with less recoil than a 45. That being said I will say I like all the calibers mentioned. I think a 45 is as American as home made apple pie. But the 40 seems to fit me best. Plus you can get the conversion for 357 and use the same mags as the 40.

12. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

ROYALE-W-CHEESE New Member

I've always felt (pun intended) that the .40 actually had more felt recoil than the .45. Whereas the .45 was a solid "thud", the .40 presented a "snappier" punch. More muzzle flip, as well.

Glock 22 and Glock 21SF are my reference comparisons.

13. ash1012

ash1012 New Member

You make a valid point. I primarily shoot 40 cal and 9mm. Maybe I am just used to the recoil of the 40. I still stand behind the 40 tho. It's just my preference. I believe that you should carry and shoot what ever cal you prefer and trust.

14. Dragonheart

Dragonheart New Member

The 45 GAP offers a little more velocity, but it's more expensive to shoot that 45 ACP and the ammo is much harder to find. The 357 Sig is a higher velocity 9mm that once again is more expensive and harder to find ammo. The .40 is an in between round that has more of a recoil bite that the 9mm, is more expensive than the 9mm and lacks the power of the 45 ACP. The cost of the ammo has a direct correlation on the proficiency of most shooters. I think it's pretty simple, if you want capacity go with a 9mm if you want stopping power go with a 45 ACP. These two cartridges have been and still are the choice of the military around the world.

15. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

If you're going to go with the .45ACP in a Glock, you need to either have good sized hands or a strong grip to keep a good hold on it. Even in the SF frame, I could touch my middle finger to my thumb (almost, but not quite) and I don't have particularly small hands. Because I've lost grip strength to arthritis, the 10mm and .45ACP Glocks are not comfortable. In other guns, for both calibers, I have no problems because they have smaller grip circumference.

The .357Sig is a lot of fun to shoot. For as small as it is, it makes a big bang. The first time I shot it, every head in the range turned to look.

To be clear, the 30 is wider than the 19. All large frame Glocks are wider than the smaller frame Glocks. It's not much, but it's there.

The .357Sigs are on the same size frame as your 19. The 32 would be exactly the same size as your 19. And, as has been mentioned, you could buy a .40 conversion barrel and shoot either caliber.

The .45GAP isn't that much more than the .45ACP. I just bought a load of both and I paid very close, if not the same, price for both. It takes a little more searching, sometimes, to find a good price. If you want 185gr rounds, you can get it from Georgia Arms for $17.50/50 or less.

Local availability of .45GAP depends heavily on area usage. If you're in one of the states where the state police have adopted the .45GAP, or in an area where locals have, then it's much more available than in other areas.

The same is true of .357Sig. It's readily available online and if a department in the area has adopted it, then it's readily available locally. It, too, can be found at reasonable prices online.

9mm, .40 and .45ACP are, generally, going to be the most available locally and no major caliber is cheaper than 9mm. .40 is close. .45ACP and .45GAP are probably next, with .357Sig being among the most expensive. That said, we're not talking several dollars a box difference. If you don't look around, you'll pay $25/50 of .357Sig or .45GAP, but that's just being lazy and foolish...or desperate.

16. deadlift560

deadlift560 New Member

Would you say the .357 or .45 has less recoil. I thought the .45 acp was gonna be my choice. But from your statement it would be hard for my wife to shoot with her tiny kinda weak hands

17. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

ROYALE-W-CHEESE New Member

Deadlift, have you and your wife taken any of these calibers for a test drive yet?

Most ranges also rent handguns. Glocks are very common to rent. You can do your side-by-side comparison in a practical format which will answer many of your latest questions that can't be easily quantified online (how does it feel, which has more felt recoil, which one fits better in my hands, etc). I doubt you would purchase a car without a test drive, eh.

On the other hand, if money and time are luxury commodities, then you could always sell any handgun you don't like, after putting a few hundred rounds through it.

18. deadlift560

deadlift560 New Member

We don't have ranges here, let alone one that will let us rent. And once I buy one it's mine lol. We can't "test drive around here. We can look at it. Which will tell me nothing about how the glock will shoot. Which is why I am asking advice from the guys whom already have said glocks

19. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

These are my recommendations, go with either a .357, .40, or 10mm. With the .357 and .40, you can interchange barrels and have two calibers. With the 10MM, there are so many conversions you can do it isn't even funny. If I'm not mistaken, it us possible to convert a 10mm to .45 even.

20. deadlift560

deadlift560 New Member

I may do conversion barrels one day. But looking for something that works best for now