Newbie with a Glock 19

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by dbmcclus, Jul 18, 2012.

1. dbmcclus

dbmcclus New Member

I am a newbie with a Glock 19 and I have a question for the group. I have a CCP and a Blackhawk Serpa holster. I am familiar with the safe operation of the Glock and the use of my index finger to remove the pistol from the Serpa holster. I also know that you never place your finger on the trigger until you have your target in the sights.

Here is my question: do most of you(civilians) keep a round in the chamber when you carry? Some may say what good is a gun if it is not loaded? I can quickly chamber a round if I hear someone inside my house, but what if I am out in public? Case in point, just two days ago a man entered a bar in my state with an assault rifle and began firing. A total of 17 people were shot, but thankfully no fatalities. Had I been there or some other person with a concealed weapon, things may have been different. I know a concealed weapon has the advantage of surprise to the bad guy but what if he hears you chamber a round? My gut tells me to keep a round chambered, but I am reluctant to walk around with a loaded weapon. Thanks for your advice to a newbie.

2. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Welcome DBM!! Enjoy the forum!

3. darthraven0

darthraven0 New Member

Most states forbid ccw in bars. To answer your question though yes keep it chambered. Know your state laws and be safe.

4. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

Welcome to the Glck Forum! Stick around you will like it.

About your post...some states do not allow weapons in bars..... :(
    I always carry with one in the chamber. It is all what you are comfortable/trained to do. Be safe out there!

5. 10mil

10mil Is That a .40....nope its a 10MM!

GA
    Welcome to the forum! & by any chance are you in al? I heard something and the radio about that this morning. And al you cannot ccw in a bar so it would not have helped. But Atleast that guy turned himself in for what he did. Owned up for his mistakes. Thou i don't have details on the subject this could really hurt gun owners in al. With elections so close....

6. henerey

henerey New Member

I wouldn't call shooting 17 people a mistake

7. henerey

henerey New Member

Idk crazy people in this world ya know bet he pleas temp insanity too smh

8. 10mil

GA
    I didn't mean mistake as an accident. More are less for what he did wrong.

9. dbmcclus

dbmcclus New Member

Yes, I am in Birmingham, Al about 40 miles east of Tuscaloosa where the shootings took place. Still not sure of his motive but he did say he wanted police " to take him out" then got scared and left. He is currently on suicide watch. Thanks.

10. 10mil

GA
    Dang i didn't hear all that. Wth was he thinking...

11. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

Your Question has already been answered but her is my 2 cents worth. As KeenansGarage said Carry as your Comfort and Training allows you to. Not sure why anyone would not carry with one in the chamber but if that is how you are comfortable then do it that way. As long as you have a holster with the trigger covered you will be fine! Make sure you train with your Glock and get what professional training you can afford. Practice, practice practice!

12. SteveC

SteveC New Member

I agree with everything folks have told you about doing what you're comfortable with and like sgtcowboyusmc said, "practice, practice, practice." That should include practice drawing your weapon. I also have a G19 and carry it in a Serpa (when I can - I'm a small-frame guy and it's hard to conceal that gun in that holster) and I feel very comfortable carrying it chambered in that configuration. I've practiced the draw hundreds of times (unloaded with ammo in the next room) and recommend you do the same. I hate the idea of not getting my weapon out of the holster if I need it. It's worth thinking about getting some snap caps so you can practice with dry fire.

13. havik72

havik72 Senior Member

Welcome to the forum, and as has been said by the rest, logic tells us to carry with one in the pipe for the same reason we own a Glock in lieu of a Beretta with a thumb safety/decocking lever...with a Glock it's point and shoot...nothing to forget, but with other systems it's too easy to forget all the necessary steps to fire in a high octane situation, plenty of examples of folks who were shot or killed even though they out drew the BG because they did not practice enough to get the thumb safety ingrained into their automatic reaction (yes people do well with those guns, but they do so because they practice often.)
    I suggest one in the pipe, a solid holster, and practice.

14. Just a quick reply...yes keep a round chambered, otherwise your carrying an expensive paperweight! You have to have the upper hand on your attacker "if" needed!

15. chilly613

chilly613 New Member

Agree with this 100%. Plus if shtf and you draw, the attacker already has you dead to rights as his weapon is already locked and loaded. You won't realize that you dont have a round chambered in a high stress situation, draw your weapon and hear the most God awful sound in a gunfight..."click!"

16. dbmcclus

dbmcclus New Member

Thanks everyone for your good advice. I have decided to keep a round chambered. I will continue to practice safety, target practice, and continue to get more familiar with my Glock. Thanks again to all of you for sharing your experience with a newbie!

17. Good choice! Practice makes perfect, only way your going to get comfortable with your gun. By the way, welcome to the forum. You will love it here!

18. RRoss

RRoss If it goes boom or bang, I want to play with it! Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum. I too carry with one in the chamber. I HIGHLY suggest getting a pack of A-Zoom snapcaps (about $15) and practice your draw and fire. Use what ever your every day carry (EDC) setup might be. If it's Inside the Waistband (IWB) with a shirt over the gun, then practice the lift and draw motion 15-20 times before ever pulling the trigger. Every movement should be smooth and deliberate. Lift, draw, thrust, acquire target, squeeze.

Good luck and practice, practice, practice!