Glock Firearms banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
1,611 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!! You will find both responses, for and against. For me, it would be for 1 in the chamber because you do not have time to rack one in, in a life or death situation, you might as well be dead without one in there.

With training it doesn't add much time to rack the slide when drawing, key word "TRAINING".

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
Adding time being the the opposite of the purpose of training "to put more rounds accurately down range faster..."

·
1,310 Posts
Pierre said:
Im kindda scared to put a round on the chamber while carrying my glock
Are you scared or concerned and not comfortable?

Anyway, I'm in the minority here as I carry now like I carried in garrison, in condition 3, with a loaded mag and empty chamber. Folks saying a loaded gun and empty chamber are incorrect, and while there are certainly scenarios where split seconds count, I believe there are many more where I have time to rack the slide.

But please understand...I practice at least 39 times (3 X G23 mags) twice a month to draw from concealment, rack slide, and fire. I also practice one hand racking on my belt weekly using dummy rounds. I practice how I carry, how I draw, and how I deal with one handed gun techniques.

I reconcile that I am giving up a bit of readiness and tactical advantage, but this is how I choose to roll, and just like carrying or not, what to carry, how to carry, etc., it's a personal choice I make. I would also bet I can engage a target faster than folks carrying in condition one who rarely/never practice, especially with two hands free. I don't have babies any more, and anything I may be carrying will surely be dropped like a hot potato if I find myself in a gunfight.

Regardless what you choose to do, practice your moves, abide the four safety rules, and remember that your primary weapon isn't the one with the trigger, it's the one between your ears.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
With training it doesn't add much time to rack the slide when drawing, key word "TRAINING".

That, of course, assumes that you always have both hands available. If you can carry groceries, your kids, hold your dog's leash, etc, and still have both hands available, then I imagine you've had a third arm attached?

Or never shop, or always have someone do a carryout for you; never carry anything from house to car or car to house; don't and never will have kids; never hold your significant other's hand in public or put your arm around them; will never have or never walk or take your dog anywhere; never have to carry a briefcase, gym bag or luggage; never go to the range or always buy/rent everything when you get there so you don't have to carry a range bag; the list goes on...

·
1,310 Posts
Seriously, your gonna hang on to your groceries/gym bag/whatever if you have to draw your gun? Other than the kids, what else really matters? Not to mention, if I keep holding my wife's hand, I'm stopping her from drawing her gun. LOL!

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
Seriously, your gonna hang on to your groceries/gym bag/whatever if you have to draw your gun? Other than the kids, what else really matters? Not to mention, if I keep holding my wife's hand, I'm stopping her from drawing her gun. LOL!
valid point! lol

·
1,611 Posts
Adding time being the the opposite of the purpose of training "to put more rounds accurately down range faster..."
Open carry is even faster for putting rounds "down range". An extra .5 seconds isn't going to let me put that many extra rounds "down range". :D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGD2j9ks38g[/ame]

That, of course, assumes that you always have both hands available. If you can carry groceries, your kids, hold your dog's leash, etc, and still have both hands available, then I imagine you've had a third arm attached?

Or never shop, or always have someone do a carryout for you; never carry anything from house to car or car to house; don't and never will have kids; never hold your significant other's hand in public or put your arm around them; will never have or never walk or take your dog anywhere; never have to carry a briefcase, gym bag or luggage; never go to the range or always buy/rent everything when you get there so you don't have to carry a range bag; the list goes on...
True. You need both hands, I want both hands to clear my garment. I want both hands to do a proper draw. I want both hands to clear a misfire. I want both hands to reload. I guess I have to add another .5 second so I can drop "whatever" and draw my gun. :)
Time for more "training".

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMsAvWOEj-k&feature=related[/ame]

·
1,310 Posts
LOL! I do hold her hand...stayed married 20+ years by holding hands, opening doors, etc. I simply meant if events cause me to draw down, I'm letting go of her cause I don't want to hamper her response either!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
No, but the point is that if it's in C1, I don't need my other hand. Yeah, I'm going to drop whatever I'm carrying, but have you ever gotten a plastic grocery bag twisted and stuck on your hand? Have your hand run through your dog's leash?

It can take a lot more than 1/2 second to clear your off hand of whatever is in it when you need to. Do you practice dropping grocery bags or whatever else you might be carrying? No, you probably don't. If you're like me and everyone else I know, you probably try to carry more and make fewer trips. There have been plenty of times that I've had trouble untangling my hand and plenty of people are approached in their driveways or open garages.

Since I often pocket carry, I absolutely don't need both hands to draw my gun and fire. No cover garment to clear, my pocket holster stays in my pocket, by design, so I don't have to worry about it. Even when I'm carrying on my belt, I can clear leather one handed almost as fast as I can when I'm pocket carrying, but that's partly because of how I conceal and the rest is just years of practice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Pierre said:
Im kindda scared to put a round on the chamber while carrying my glock
The Glock has three internal safeties that will keep the weapon from discharging the round if dropped or banged around. The only way the pistol will fire is if your booger hooker is in the trigger guard when it shouldn't be or you play Joe the Gun Plumber on the internals without the proper training.

Bottom line do not be afraid to carry a Glock with a round chambered. Perhaps some additional range time or a shooting class will give you some additional confidence in the pistol.

·
Is That a .40....nope its a 10MM!
563 Posts
when i was 16 i was robbed coming from a late movie i had walked the girl to her car a headed to mine across the parking lot by the time i got close i noticed it look as if 3 guys was following my to my car so i grabbed my knives from ny pocket and kept going ad by the time i got my car unlocked i noticed they was close so i opened my car door to block them in between my car and a truck. being a cocky person i looked at them and said maybe next time at the time i had not noticed a fourth guy until i went to sit in my car he had a steel pole in his hands i tried to fight him off with my knive but failed to slash him by the time the other guys got to me to grab me i took that pole across my jar broke a tooth and fractured my jaw i lost 20 dollars and a cell phone. but yes i always carry one in the chamber. and trust my glock above all others

21 - 33 of 33 Posts