Glock Firearms banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got my first slide bite yesterday. Out shooting the Glock and a 44 mag revolver. Without thinking, I crossed my non trigger hand thumb over the top of my trigger hand, fired, and now have two nice divots on the knuckle of my thumb. Stupid mistake.

Anyone else guilty of this? I want my firing grip to become automatic. Maybe I need to spend a lot more time dry firing than I thought. Definitely done want this to happen again.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
There are tons of videos explaining the proper grip for semi-autos. It's pretty basic once you get a hold of it.

·
Registered
624 Posts
My dad did that once. (he was used to old revolver and is not a gun guy in general) I tried to tell him but he said that's how he felt comfortable. Bad mistake! Cut the crap out of him. The guy in the next lane over was trying not to laugh. So I told the guy, "It's ok, he deserves to be laughed at since I tried to warn him!" Ah memories.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
brutusvk said:
My dad did that once. (he was used to old revolver and is not a gun guy in general) I tried to tell him but he said that's how he felt comfortable. Bad mistake! Cut the crap out of him. The guy in the next lane over was trying not to laugh. So I told the guy, "It's ok, he deserves to be laughed at since I tried to warn him!" Ah memories.
My son and his friend laughed for quite a while as I bled all over the various pistols we had. Live and learn!

·
Registered
94 Posts
geeteeohh said:
Well I got my first slide bite yesterday. Out shooting the Glock and a 44 mag revolver. Without thinking, I crossed my non trigger hand thumb over the top of my trigger hand, fired, and now have two nice divots on the knuckle of my thumb. Stupid mistake.

Anyone else guilty of this? I want my firing grip to become automatic. Maybe I need to spend a lot more time dry firing than I thought. Definitely done want this to happen again.
I'll fess up. I did the same thing a month ago with my High-Standard Sport King.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
If you have never been bitten, you have not shot enough:D

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I got one this past Saturday. I was helping my 9yr old son shoot my G23 for the first time. I was helping with his grip and bracing his wrists a bit but didn't pay attention to where my own hand was. Bang! Slide bite.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve recently purchased a Glock 27. Until now I have always been a revolver guy crossing my left thumb over the right thumb (right handed shooter). I fired my first round from my new G27 and got my first big surprise and lesson. After the bleeding stopped I started practicing figuring I had at least learned a valuable lesson. Well, about eighty rounds later I forget what I had learned a few minutes ago. After the bleeding stopped a second time all’s been ok. Have fired about 1000 rounds through it and absolutely love my G27. I guess that sometimes you just gotta teach an old dog new tricks.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,608 Posts
I did it in police academy. They had us transition to weak hand. We didn't know we were going to shoot with other hand. Don't think I ever shot with my left hand before. Before shooting the course of fire, I knew something didn't feel right but pulled the trigger. Found out real quick what was wrong. Nice tear in thumb. Continued to fire through string. Other classmates were yelling at me with blood dripping off my elbow.
No timeouts keep shooting.

BTW; blood takes bluing off real quick!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Never happened with me. Before I try a live fire technique, I do Dry Fire drills.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.