Newbie, Conceal Carry Questions

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by greg, Mar 31, 2012.

1. greg

greg New Member

Getting ready to take carry class and do have access to the B-21 targets. Can some tell me the dimension of the actual scoring area ?

2. scrubber3

scrubber3 New Member

I'm not sure on that one, but I can tell you that if you have fired a handgun before and can basically hit center mass at 7 meters you should be fine. Those classes are designed for you to pass unless you just fail to listen or are a complete idiot. On some occasions, things just happen and are understandable. The instructors are usually aware of the effort and determination of a student if it has been shown and will help as much as they can. I wouldn't worry one bit. Good luck!

3. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Hello, Greg, and WELCOME to the Forum!

If you could post a *Hi There* and tell us about yourself in the Introductions category, other Members will be able to welcome you as well.

Now, to your question....you did not mention your location, and the live-fire requirements vary by jurisdiction, so I will share what I know as it applies here in Nevada.

We shoot the B-27 Precision Target Silhouettes (see below, with both of the target arms at the sides). The target area would correspond to the x-Ring, 10-ring, and 9-ring. A simple way to think of it is this: with a regular piece of 8-1/2"x11" paper centered on the bullseye, all rounds fired must be within the boundaries of that paper sheet, fired from only 21 feet.

Now, you mention you will be using B-21 targets (see below, with one arm canted elbow out), and the target itself has scoring areas. I am not familiar with the legal requirements in your area, and hesitate to speculate, sorry.

Please post a *Hi There*, and maybe someone from your same location can help more.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

4. greg

greg New Member

Thanks Guys for the response. Guess it would help with a little background. I am in Ky. Not new to handguns, but have been long absent from the sport. A hundred years ago I did a lot of bowling pins and combat stuff. I guess my concern is more pride than anything else. At one time I was pretty decent, but the eyes, hands nerves ain't what they use to be. I wanted to put in as much realistic practice as possible so I didn't embarrass myself.

5. Matthew780

Matthew780 Very Sensitive Guy (^;)

I don't think you'll have any problems Sir, unless your condition(s) are extreme.

As far as your eyesight not being what it used to be, there's a few of us here in that boat. The guys here have alot of good suggestions as far as sight systems that can aid an individual with aging eyesight. A good sight system that works for you can do wonders for your accuracy and target acquisition time, even with less than perfect eyesight.

Have a look around the forums here and ENJOY!

Oh! WELCOME!

6. sconnie

sconnie Member

Work with your optometrist on a shooing specific Rx if you are having problems getting a clear focus on the front post.

I frequently have patients bring their hand guns into the office so hat we can refine their shooting specific Rx. Especially those shooters who are over 48 or so. Every day correction isn't always adequate or provide optimum focus for shooting.

7. Matthew780

Agreed. I have a friend that competes and his shooting was going downhill. Come to find out, he could no longer focus on his front sights. His optometrist helped him immensely. It takes you taking your firearm into your optometrist's office and getting a prescription that allows you to focus on the front sight in the stance you commonly shoot from. The distance between your eyes and the front sight will have to be measured exactly for your prescription.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  8. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Renamed thread to incorporate status, moved thread to Introductions.

9. dslmac2

dslmac2 New Member

Welcome to the Forum.

Some really good sights you could try, if needed, are the Advantage Tactical sights. I have them on my G26 and really like them. There website reviews have a lot of people that mention people that had a hard time viewing sights and with these installed it tremendously improved there accuracy. With the purchase, you get a 25 color combination that you can use for whatever your choose, which I thought was pretty cool. I have Orange back sights and a bright green on the front. These sights make pyramid, and you put the point (front sight) right under your target for pretty fast and accurate aim.

http://advantagetactical.com/

Photo here is from there website, using Red front and Yellow back sight.

image-1541046590.jpg

10. unit44justin

unit44justin New Member

I think it depends on the state and the instructor. I just took my PTC class on the 24th and My instructor required us to hit the silhouette with 90% of 20 rounds at 21 feet.

11. Matthew780

The more I see these sights, the more I like them. If they had a night-sight version of this system, I'd order them right away.

I love that 1st gen. 9mm too! ;)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  12. greg

greg New Member

Thanks all the advise and encouragement.
    I will let you know how I do, the course is this Saturday .
    No time to play sights. Maybe they handicap for blind guys.

13. DDPG17

DDPG17 New Member

Maine
    When I took my shooting course (Maine) in February I shot at a white piece of plain paper (8.5 X 11). If I could keep 100 shots in the paper, I passed. My wife just took a concealed carry class and there was no shooting and no test involved. Only took her 4 hours of class time and she passed. Good luck!

14. SFDPNB

SFDPNB New Member

In Kentucky to pass the course you have to score an 11 out of 20 on a standard silhouette. The round only has to break the line to count. At a distance of 7 yards. Hope it helps. Good luck.

15. MiguelAngel

MiguelAngel New Member

Welcome to the forum !!!!

16. odgreen

odgreen Senior Member

These look way sweet.

17. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the Glock Forum greg !!

Good luck today...

18. greg

greg New Member

Again, thanks for everyone's help. Aced the written test. I could cover all but a couple of shots with my hand,much to my own surprise.

19. scrubber3

scrubber3 New Member

Nice! Congratulations and job well done.

20. Matthew780

Congratulations!