Glock Firearms banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since the Grandson's M19 seems to be picky about ammo, especially reloads, (apparently a fairly common trait of Glocks) I got one of these so I can gauge my reloads.
Tried it out on some of the 9mm ammo I've already done and they all fit though a few rounds were a might snug.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.............
Product Rectangle Font Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Waiting to pick up another 45 ACP when EGW has their yearly blem sale and the only thing blem is the exterior finish .

Reactions: j102 and Dr.Tramp

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Waiting to pick up another 45 ACP when EGW has their yearly blem sale and the only thing blem is the exterior finish .
I checked their site for blems before I got this one but they were out of blem 4 caliber gauge blocks. I don't shoot or reload for 38 super or 40 S&W and neither of my 45acp handguns are picky about ammo but it's still nice to have the other sizes in case I need them in the future.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp............

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I case gauge every round. The "hundo" gauges are awesome. Gauge a hundred rounds and then transfer straight to your plastic 100 round boxes.
Those are nice. Since the grandson will eventually be doing his own reloading I may get him one of those to go with the reloading equipment I'm putting together for him.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp..............

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Since the Grandson's M19 seems to be picky about ammo, especially reloads, (apparently a fairly common trait of Glocks)
No, not at all. What bullet are you using and what OAL? Did you plunk test any of those rounds? Glock barrels have far more generous chambers than aftermarket barrels. 99% of new re-loader issues are from not plunk testing, and usually because the OAL is too long. The SAAMI length of 1.169" is a maximum. Most reliable loads, depending on bullet shape, are 1.100"-1.145"

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
I can only speak for myself about reloads in Glocks, over 600,000 thru more than 2 dozen Glocks since 1992. Never an issue. And of course all the guys I've seen running Glocks in competition, every Saturday and Sunday, they occasionally have a failure to chamber, but then, they didn't plunk test every round...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
No, not at all. What bullet are you using and what OAL? Did you plunk test any of those rounds? Glock barrels have far more generous chambers than aftermarket barrels. 99% of new re-loader issues are from not plunk testing, and usually because the OAL is too long. The SAAMI length of 1.169" is a maximum. Most reliable loads, depending on bullet shape, are 1.100"-1.145"
First of all the grandson's M19 has a ZEV SOCOM slide and barrel (with polished feed ramp) and a ZEV reworked frame and was put together by a gunsmith. The internals are Glock and they've been polished too.
Did all the tests and double checked everything and while I've been able to lessen the feeding problems with tweeks here and there I haven't been able to eliminate them entirely.
It doesn't seem to like bullets heavier than 125gr and it doesn't like any hollow point or flat nose ammo, whether factory or reloads.
It works most reliably (99%) with good factory round nose 115gr FMJ ammo like Winchester or Federal but with reloads and cheaper ammo like Magtech or Armscor feeding problems arise.
Since it seems to have the least feeding problems with reloads using round nose 115gr bullets and an OAL between .130" - 140" that's what I've been making for it.
I use once fired and sometimes new brass with round nose 115gr FMJ and powder coated cast bullets. Both are loaded with mild target powder charges. I've tried heavier but not max powder charges and they works the same as the milder charges. I've also made some round nose 95gr powder coated bullets with mild powder charges and an OAL of 110" for it which worked okay.
A friend has two Glocks in 9mm and 40 cal that he reloads for and they have the same feeding problems. His pistols, other than the sights and optics, are stock. I've also read a number of reviews where the writers related similar problems with ammo, especially reloads.
My own 9mm is a Ruger P89DC. Compared to the grandson's M19 Glock it's big, heavy, and chunky but it's also utterly reliable and doesn't care what type or weight ammo I run through it. I've even run max length cast lead hot loaded reloads through it and they work fine.
So I'll continue to take great care with the reloads I make for the grandson's Glock and teach him to do the same but based on my own experience and that related by others, Glocks will never make my SHTF list of firearms.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...................

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
First of all the grandson's M19 has a ZEV SOCOM slide and barrel (with polished feed ramp) and a ZEV reworked frame and was put together by a gunsmith. The internals are Glock and they've been polished too.
Did all the tests and double checked everything and while I've been able to lessen the feeding problems with tweeks here and there I haven't been able to eliminate them entirely.
It doesn't seem to like bullets heavier than 125gr and it doesn't like any hollow point or flat nose ammo, whether factory or reloads.
It works most reliably (99%) with good factory round nose 115gr FMJ ammo like Winchester or Federal but with reloads and cheaper ammo like Magtech or Armscor feeding problems arise.
Since it seems to have the least feeding problems with reloads using round nose 115gr bullets and an OAL between .130" - 140" that's what I've been making for it.
I use once fired and sometimes new brass with round nose 115gr FMJ and powder coated cast bullets. Both are loaded with mild target powder charges. I've tried heavier but not max powder charges and they works the same as the milder charges. I've also made some round nose 95gr powder coated bullets with mild powder charges and an OAL of 110" for it which worked okay.
A friend has two Glocks in 9mm and 40 cal that he reloads for and they have the same feeding problems. His pistols, other than the sights and optics, are stock. I've also read a number of reviews where the writers related similar problems with ammo, especially reloads.
My own 9mm is a Ruger P89DC. Compared to the grandson's M19 Glock it's big, heavy, and chunky but it's also utterly reliable and doesn't care what type or weight ammo I run through it. I've even run max length cast lead hot loaded reloads through it and they work fine.
So I'll continue to take great care with the reloads I make for the grandson's Glock and teach him to do the same but based on my own experience and that related by others, Glocks will never make my SHTF list of firearms.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...................
My go to competition load in my G34's using factory barrels. Mixed brass, Montana Gold 147gr round nose flat point CMJ bullet, 3.4gr of Bullseye (or 3.2gr of Titegroup), Federal Primer, 1.15" OAL. 1.15" overall is the longest length that I can get to reliably feed 100% in a Glock mag. I am using a 13lb recoil spring for this load. My wife and I have shot 100k+ of this load without any feed issues. It is a very soft feeling load and extremely accurate.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Doesn't make sense if the ammo plunk tests ok in the ZEV barrel. And what grip? Unless you hold your gun like this, you can expect problems. High in the web as you can get.

Hand Black Gesture Finger Wrist

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
"First of all the grandson's M19 has a ZEV SOCOM slide and barrel (with polished feed ramp) and a ZEV reworked frame and was put together by a gunsmith. "

So it's not a Glock 19 then. Well, I guess you have a ZEV problem, not a Glock problem. So take it back to the "gunsmith" and have him make it right.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
I've run all kind of bullet shapes and weights thru my Glocks. 9mm, 95 gr RN, for Steel Challenge (SCSA), 115 gr RN, 125gr RN/JHP's and Flat Point, 147gr Flat Point and 160 gr RN. OAL from 1.050" to 1.175" (USPSA Major 9x19). OEM Glocks do not have problems with reloads, the shooter has problems producing acceptable reloads. I've also loaded 40S&W, 10mm, .45acp and 357SIG with never an issue. All are chrono'd to meet USPSA Major or Minor power floor. Upper left, 125 gr Montana Gold JHP going 1,380 fps to meet the Major floor. The rest of the 9mm's are loaded to Minor. The 357SIGs are all Major floor, 125's at 1,480 fps and the 151 gr Blue Bullet going 1,180 fps. That round has some recoil to it.

Ammunition Bullet Gun accessory Art Musical instrument

Wood Magenta Cone Fashion accessory Electric blue

Cone Ammunition Bullet Gun accessory Lipstick

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My go to competition load in my G34's using factory barrels. Mixed brass, Montana Gold 147gr round nose flat point CMJ bullet, 3.4gr of Bullseye (or 3.2gr of Titegroup), Federal Primer, 1.15" OAL. 1.15" overall is the longest length that I can get to reliably feed 100% in a Glock mag. I am using a 13lb recoil spring for this load. My wife and I have shot 100k+ of this load without any feed issues. It is a very soft feeling load and extremely accurate.
I'm going to shorten the OAL a bit more and see if that helps.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp..............

·
Registered
1 Posts
I case gauge every round. The "hundo" gauges are awesome. Gauge a hundred rounds and then transfer straight to your plastic 100 round boxes.
Yes, I follow this gauging routine described above for all my reloads: 9mm, 40 s&w, 45 ACP and 38 s&w. It has been good for my reload quality! Bull Montana

1 - 15 of 15 Posts