New student in Law Enforcement.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by cop2b, Feb 7, 2012.

1. cop2b

cop2b New Member

I've shoot the G17 and G22 and also the 92fs. I'm trying to find which departments issue weapons and which ones they allow you to carry. I've heard a lot about Sig's. But I also rent my firearms untill I make a choice which one I want to get. Can anyone help?

2. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

Help with what? You never really asked a question. Are you looking for a department that lets you choose your own weapon? Or which weapon we recommend?

3. cop2b

cop2b New Member

Honesty, both I'm in WI near Milwaukee, is there any departments that allow you to pick your weapon? Also which firearms do you perfer?

4. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

Every PD is different, some issue only 1 firearm, some make you buy only 1 firearm, some allow you to pick about any sidearm within a caliber range.

I carry a Glock 22, and it's a fine firearm, but if I had my choice I'd carry a Wilson Combat or Nighthawk :D

5. cop2b

cop2b New Member

Is it safe to say to pratice shooting with the G22? As most departments issue that weapon.

6. bhale187

G22 is a safe bet yes, but you might be hurting yourself more than helping if you are not already proficent with a handgun. A good recruit trainer can make a great shooter out of a person who has never shot and learned bad habits. If you are doing anything wrong and practising it you'll have a tougher time unlearning bad habits.

7. cop2b

cop2b New Member

Yes I totally agree I've only taken the G17 G22 and 92fs out on the range for an hour. It's hard to want to pratice but also not hurt yourself by learning bad habits.

8. bhale187

Check around to see if there's a good instructional program in your area. If you can get into one, even a short course it can get you ahead of the game.

9. jimmyalbrecht

Glock 22 is great or the 17 as well. If you like the .45 cartridge and the department allows go for the 21. Any Glock is going to be an impressive firearm. To get a firearm of similar from a manufacturer such as Sig, you would have to spend at least double what you pay for a Glock.

10. bhale187

Not necessarily. The Sig 250 or 2022 can be had for about the same price as a glock

11. cop2b

cop2b New Member

I have never shot a Sig yet, hard to find ranges near Milwaukee, Waukesha that let you rent Sig's. Would love too, the G17 is most comfortable then the G22 personally.

12. cop2b

cop2b New Member

On the note of a teacher its hard to find a civilian to teach when your going into law enforcement, so you don't learn bad habits.

13. bhale187

The 40cal is a bit snappy, especially for newer shooters. You get used to it, but the added snap can start a bad habit of flinching in anticipation of the round going off. When I take a new shooter to the range I always get them started with a 22lr so they get the basics down before they have to start thinking about recoil.

14. cop2b

cop2b New Member

I so agree, my first time shooting the 9mm Glock was alil shock never knew it had that much recoil being my first time with Glock. After I shot the G22 the G17 just felt so much more comfortable. But yes I've jumped a few times on the G22.

15. deputy125

deputy125 New Member

TX
    you may find some depts are prejudiced against certain makes of guns and calibers.......that fact there is no escape.

take your time and do not rush. stay mainstream in gun selection.

a general safe bet would be the glock, smith mp, sig, and beretta. check your holster options as well before you buy the weapon.

9mm is pleasant and inexpensive
    40 is a tad more rodeo and more expensive

reloading is our friend.

You can find sub $400 used glocks and berettas on the used market if costs are a concern. going into law enforcement...get use to it.......money and future funding for more guns will always be a problem.....;);)

if i was starting over again today, i would be looking for something mid-size for on and off duty carry and easy to control.

16. Sarabian

Sarabian Slightly Opinionated

Couldn't have said it any better. I second this and recommend the same things.

17. jimmyalbrecht

Yes, but the Sig 250 and 2022 are not as accurate as a Glock, and the triggers are not as good, nor are they as reliable as a Glock. I my personal opinion, a Glock will be much better out of the box.

18. Sarabian

Sarabian Slightly Opinionated

I'm sorry to disagree with you, but I have found the SigSauer line to be as good as the Glock across the board. I have had a P228 9mm for about 18 years now and have fired numerous others (from a P220 in .45ACP to the new P229 in .40S&W) from my department and others. Very reliable and one of the best traditional double action triggers on the market. I carried one on duty for a couple years before I just missed my Glock and had to change back. I never felt any less protected or felt like I was downgrading. I also won a duty gun shooting competition with my 228, so I think they're very accurate as well.

19. bhale187

Trigger reset is a little shorter on a Glock than on a p250 or sp2022, but trigger pull is not any better on a Glock IMO. As for accuracy, both the p250 and sp2022 are easily as accurate in equally capably hands, none of them are bullseye competition tack drivers out of the box.

20. Redhawk41mag

Redhawk41mag New Member

Im not LEO but Im surrounded by them at my work. Most of the LE/Customs Border Patrol officers here {Miami/Ft Lauderdale} Ive seen carry Glock or Sig chambered in .40S&W. Now, my close friend issa Broward County Sherrif and he carries a G21 and swears never to carry less than .45ACP. So, if ya leave the tundra and venture south to PARADISE...you can have cake and eat too!!

Good luck to ya, wanted to be LE is a commendable thing,

Redhawk41mag