New Shooter's Practice Time

Discussion in 'Glock Accessories & Gear' started by Ltrain, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

Hello I'm a new shooter and I keep reading that I should shoot a .22 for practice and to save on ammo costs. Some suggest a .22 conversion kit, some say a dedicated .22 some say just shoot your own 9 mm gun. Any advice? Sorry if this question had been asked before. I tried to find it on the forum with no luck. Thanks in advance.

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Thread moved to Glock Accessories & Gear...

One suggestion... .22 conversion kit by Jonathan A. Ceiner

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012

3. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Hello, LTrain, and WELCOME!

I know you had a thread "Glock Gen4" but it didn't mention much about you. Could you add more, in this thread, and we can call it your Introduction thread?

Cheers!

4. unit44justin

unit44justin New Member

What are you practicing for? are you doing competition, just want to get used to the firearm (I assume you have a G26 from your previous thread), practicing to get rounds down range on target? I personally wouldn't waste my time with a .22 unless you are going to going to get a competition target .22 firearm. I picked up a Sig mosquito for something to just have fun and plink with, to tell you the truth its not that fun. It doesn't have the boom power or recoil of any of the larger calibers. The mosquito has been a reliable firearm for me as I haven't had the issues that may others have had, it just isn't the same as a larger caliber firearm.

5. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

I decided on the 19. I've never shot before so I would be practicing shooting in general. Thanks

6. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

Hello I'm a new gun owner, at 42, from Western MA. Never shot a gun before taking the class. I'm nervous and excited about being a gun owner. Enormous responsibility, especially w three kids in the house. Love this forum. Very informative and friendly to us rookies.

7. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

Ps still getting use to navigating through the forum.

8. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

I don't think having a .22 would be good practice for your larger firearm, but a .22 is just fun to plink around with and unload on some tin/aluminum cans.

9. Glock19

Glock19 New Member

Most gun owners I know have a .22 for that very reason. It comes in handy for pests too. lol

For me the 19 is easier to shoot and handle than the 17. The 17 is nice, but the back strap hump is uncomfortable. I thinking I'm going to trade un my 17 for another 19 or a 30 sf. Haven't handled the baby Glocks, but I suppose my 36 is close to the same feeling only slightly thinner. Mine is the 19 RTF2 and I have yet to shoot any Gen4 models.

10. unit44justin

unit44justin New Member

I would stick with the G19. you could shoot all you want with a .22 and still be uncomfortable with a higher caliber. Also the firearm does not make someone a good shooter, the big focus should be on form and technique. Hickok45 has some pretty good videos about technique.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1Cf0WEeXZk[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22msLVCtPk8&feature=relmfu[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xa5JPLGIsU&feature=relmfu[/ame]

11. Augi

Augi New Member

I shoot the caliber that I plan to use for protection. Unless your going to use 22 cal for protection, I recommend shooting 9mm. When the kids are old enough to handle a gun, 22 may be a better choice. Even if you've never shot before, you will get used to shooting 9mm pretty quick. Problem is, the addiction may drive you to buy a larger caliber weapon. ;)

12. Matthew780

Matthew780 Very Sensitive Guy (^;)

Hello LTrain...

If you already had a .22 cal pistol, I'd recommend you take that gun and wear it out while you develop your form, technique, basic knowledge of a firearm and safety. But since you don't, you might as well go all in and use the gun you're planning on using. That way, you'll be familiar with every aspect of the gun, from how handles, to how it feels and the way it all works.

Ammo cost is always a consideration, but you can get good "range quality" ammo alot cheaper than the bullets you'll keep in your clips to carry on your person for protection/defense.

This is only a recommendation, but I suggest you find someone else if at all possible to shoot with you, so they can guide you through the basics. Once you have your fundamentals down, then you can practice, practice, practice. Like anything else, starting from ground zero, you have alot of work & practice ahead of you... and it's best to have a guide of sorts to help you begin. Maybe you could find a "New Shooter's Class" to enroll in through your local gun club or something. I would definitely recommend some form of personal instruction for you being as you are starting brand new to firearm mechanics, technique and safety .

But brother, it's a bunch of fun. Main thing is to do it safely (developing good safety habits is a process) at all times, and learn the fundamentals right the FIRST time. That way you won't have to break bad habits later.

Find you a good local range and go hang out there. Most times there will be people around that would love to help you get started.

Let us know how it goes for you. eh? May even be someone on the forum here you could meet up with.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  13. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

Thanks for the sound advice . Great forum, very friendly to new shooters.

14. Matthew780

Matthew780 Very Sensitive Guy (^;)

It's a pleasure. If there's anything anyone here can do for you, please just yell.