Glock Firearms banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a new rifle. It is a Swedish Military Mauser Model 1896 chambered in 6.5 Swedish in 1899. All matching serial numbers. I have never owned a gun that is over 100 years old before and never a Mauser. It is beautiful.

Has anyone had experience with one of these?

Attachments

·
Banned
14,133 Posts
That is a great rifle you got there pkaltx !!

Don't own a Mauser yet...but I've been looking real hard at a German K98k...

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
No experience here with one but that's a beauty!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Beautiful rifle.

I just sort of accidentally won a Norinco SKS 7.62X39 rifle on Gunbroker... I have been wanting one but didn't actually think I would win it. Hopefully it turns out to be every bit of $255 worth of SKS...

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
I picked up a new rifle. It is a Swedish Military Mauser Model 1896 chambered in 6.5 Swedish in 1899. All matching serial numbers. I have never owned a gun that is over 100 years old before and never a Mauser. It is beautiful.

Has anyone had experience with one of these?
They were really sought after during the 1960's. The the Mauser actions were commonly used for custom rifle build ups. And there weren't many issues of Guns & Ammo in those years, that didn't have a story on the latest custom sporting rifle based on a Mauser action.

It's cool that yours is intact. It would be a pleasure to shoot.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They were really sought after during the 1960's. The the Mauser actions were commonly used for custom rifle build ups. And there weren't many issues of Guns & Ammo in those years, that didn't have a story on the latest custom sporting rifle based on a Mauser action.

It's cool that yours is intact. It would be a pleasure to shoot.
I am just getting into collecting C&R guns, and my first focus in on Swedish guns. My wife is a full blood Swede and her dad was in the Army in the 30's. He had one of these Mauser's and I am looking for the pistol he carried now.

The Disk shows it has a 1 grade barrel and shot perfectly true vertically and horizontally. It is apparently rare to find one like this. I just lucked into it.

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
Yes you did. Is it chambered for 6.5 X 55?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it is 6.5 X 55. I have not shot it yet. I cleaned it up today and oiled it. I have the rounds and plan on taking it this week. Don't know what to expect.

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
Modest Recoil, and a high degree of accuracy.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Great find. In my opinion, Mauser created the best bolt action, short throw and the lug to barrel lock up is superb.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts