New member from MD

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Xfade, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Xfade

Xfade New Member

Hello all from Maryland. I just recently purchased my first handgun, a G17 gen4. I have shot handguns before, though not extensively, so I'm not exactly a complete noob. But I still have a lot to learn.

I have noticed that the trigger is different on glocks from some of the other brands I've shot eg Sig & HK, and it doesnt seem as accurate. Although, I didn't buy this gun for its accuracy, I bought for its reliability.

If anybody has any references on how to correct grip, stance, etc. based on results I'm getting from the range, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome to the Glock Forum!

3. VCMike

VCMike New Member

CA
    Welcome to the forum!

4. Welcome from Damascus, MD.

5. Grabber GT

Grabber GT New Member

Ohio
    Welcome to the forum. It takes practice and some mods to get really accurate. I have an STI that gives patterns a third of the size of my Glocks without trying. But even my worst will get the defensive job done. I shoot competition with my 19 and will be upgrading to the 34 soon. Best of luck to you.

6. if the trigger seems to be the problem I would venture a bet that you are not squeezing smoothly, but rather pulling at the shot because you are anticipating the recoil. Dry fires do not hurt the glock, so unload it and play the bart simpson game.

Watch tv, and anytime bart or whoever you choose comes on, aim and squeeze. Remember that smooth is fast, and fast is smooth. Even just practice the trigger pulls over, and over. What you will notice, watch the front sight, is that just before the click you are pulling the gun off target. You should be squeezing, focusing on the target and not the trigger. When the click surprises you then you are doing it right, and you will see an increase in accuracy.

7. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

Welcome to the Glock Forum! I second dry-firing. You cannot hurt it! Also, it never hurts to have some one on one time with an instructor, not matter how experienced you are.

8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the Glock Forum !!

9. Grabber GT

Grabber GT New Member

Ohio
    Thanks everyone. I am doing all of that practice, dry fire and watching the tip of the gun for pulling. I'll get there.

10. Xfade

Xfade New Member

Thx for the suggestions. I have been dry firing when I can. I don't like the kids to see me doing that (don't want them to think I am "playing" with it).

I had a friend from Texas about ten years ago who took me shooting. Lets say that I was consistently hitting low left or low right or whatever it was, he adjusted my grip somehow that quickly solved most of that problem. I use the grip with both thumbs high, pointed forward. But anyways, I was wondering if there was some sort of chart or something that instructors use to correct grip based on consistent shot placements.

For instance I see some shooters on youtube that use the same grip as I am, but put their non-dominant index finger on the front of the trigger guard. By doing that, or other grip adjustments, how does it effect your shots?

11. marylandjeep91

marylandjeep91 New Member

High firm grip w/ trigger hand's thumb laid on top of support hand's thumb point straight like you said u had. (weaver position) firing arm extended forward but not locked out. Opposite arms helping to hold up n steady the pistol. Feet shoulders width apart with Firing sides foot slightly back. ( isosceles position) both arms extended forwarded but not locked out. Feet shoulders width apart aligned side by side.

Sight alignment sight picture, focus on the sights with the target blurred in the background. Slow steady squeeze, don't jerk the trigger at all.

12. des2013

des2013 New Member

Xfade

Welcome to the forum. I have been lurking here for a short while. Where are you at in MD? Wish you luck with the Glock, they are a great guns. I have a Glock 22 GEN 4 myself.

13. JRiddle

JRiddle New Member

Welcome Baltimore MD here

14. mwdenko

mwdenko New Member

Ohio
  15. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome to the Glock Forum!

16. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Hello, Xfade, and WELCOME to the Forum!

In regards to your question, I would recommend against putting any finger of the support hand on the trigger guard, especially the front of the trigger guard. If you flinch, this will tend to pull the muzzle of the gun to the supprt hand saide. For instance, right-handed shooter with pistol held this way, flinches, rounds impact left and low. If the support hand grip is not firm, the rounds land low and right.

There is another thread where a member as posted a chart that helps identify grip issues. I will look for it.

Again, WELCOME, and Cheers!

17. MiguelAngel

MiguelAngel New Member

Welcome to the forum!!

18. I shoot right handed and I use this exact grip with a Glock 21. Reason why is because my particular trigger does not have a clean crisp break, and my shots tend to waver just the slightest bit to the right. So I hook my left index finger across the front of the trigger guard so that I can put a little leftwards pull on the frame in order to counter my tendency to pull slightly right.

You don't *have* to do it this way though. You can accomplish this by non-dominant fingers over the dominant fingers on the front of the grip as well but I find this to require more effort compared to using the front of the trigger guard. You'll have to practice a bit and find what's comfortable for you, but you'll get there.

Welcome to the forum :)

19. iamthedood

iamthedood The dude: "This aggression will not stand, man."

^^
    "yep"
    Glad you're here :cool: