New guy

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by John Ward, Dec 5, 2020.

1. John Ward

John Ward Member

Just joined. First gun ever was a Walther PK380. Bought used in late October this year. Loved the feel and features. Took lessons. Went to range and had several misfires. Lost confidence in the gun being always able to provide the reason I bought it, home/personal defense. So, being aware of the choice of those who need a gun to always function when needed (Police, military), I decided on Glock. Hours of reading, watching videos, I chose
    the G43X and the G48. Still learning but I do trust them to do what is needed. Whewww, can’t believe how long this is.

2. TheKraken

TheKraken 2021, Hold my beer Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum from Oklahoma. You will not be disappointed because Glock is Perfection. Be careful though, they multiple quickly.

3. Olga17

Olga17 Legitimate Combatant Supporter

Welcome to the forum!

4. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Well-Known Member

No matter the brand, and unfortunately this is the WRONG time to get started, but every pistol, be it Jennings (are they still in business?) to Glock, HK or who ever needs a proving period.
    I recommend 1000 rounds, and run it like a rented mule from a man you hate. If it make with no malfunction that is the guns fault, then run a couple of magazines with varying load count of your intended carry ammo. This should be done without a failure. You should know the pistol by this point and not monkey up the works.
    We are in odd times, and IF you can find the resources to do this, it will not be inexpensive. It still should be done to some point. I broke a Ruger between the 400 and 500 round count. They were great about repair, and it made most of the above run after getting it back. I was in your shoes on 9MM, but was able to find some in February/March.
    Forest Gump Waving.gif

5. gladesbassin

gladesbassin Happy Member :) Supporter

Welcome from South Florida, as stated above work with your firearm that you are going to carry and or use for home defense. Become proficient with it and it will be your right hand man (or left if you are wrong handed lol). Glocks do what they need to do when you need something to go bang.

6. j102

j102 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum!
    There are excellent guns out there, but you will never be wrong with a Glock.
    The G43x and G48 are awesome guns. Just shoot 300-500 rounds through them for function testing and to get familiar with them and you will be good to go.

7. Southlake

Southlake Moderator Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the Glock Forum

8. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum

9. Danzig

Danzig Glockin’ since 1993 Supporter

Texas
    Welcome aboard from North Texas!

10. 34MOS

34MOS Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome to the forum from Fl.

MyKey likes this.
  11. MyKey

MyKey Member

Welcome from Northern Kentucky. Wonderful bunch here if you are looking for support and suggestions. Something to check out would be the GSSF. Glock shooters from all levels of experience and skills. Great bunch of people! GSSFonline.com

TheKraken likes this.
  12. elk creek

elk creek Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome to the forum from the hills of Idaho.

13. MagnoliaTom

MagnoliaTom Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum from NW Houston

MyKey likes this.
  14. djg1965

djg1965 Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome from Connecticut. A lot of friendly people here with a lot of knowledge. Don’t be afraid to ask any questions, no matter how trivial they may seem. You’ll never be ridiculed, but, you will get plenty of answers.

jhg and MyKey like this.
  15. Mark Lishchynsky

Mark Lishchynsky Active Member

Illinois
    Hey John,
    Welcome to the forum from Illinois. My first firearm was also a Walther PPK 380 ( the S&W version) and can't say I had any problems with it. I do now have the Glock 23 and 29 and love em both. Your Glocks should also work well for you but do as suggested above as to break em in.

Mark

16. John Ward

John Ward Member

Thanks for the reply. I sent the membership form in a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    MyKey likes this.
  17. Bayou

Bayou Well-Known Member

Welcome and Howdy from Houston. Lots of good, decent knowledgeable folks here. You’re going to like it.

18. glockin9

glockin9 Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome to the forum.

19. John Ward

John Ward Member

Ok, question:the different cartridge loads.....what do they signify and what is their purpose? Thanks in advance.

20. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Well-Known Member

The first number means the caliber in caliber (inches) or MM, (or close) the second used to means the water capacity of the case in grains (or close), not so much any more. It is still a designation.
    6.5X55-6.5 Grendel-6.5 Creedmoor all are different cartridge sizes, but the same size bullet. 6.5 Swede, 6.5 Remington Magnum are some others. Some will have a common name and a secondary number just to add to the confusion.
    There are a handful of 300 Magnums and other 30 caliber rounds. 308-30 06- 3030 all 30 caliber and the same round as the 300 mags use, just sitting on different cases.
    9X19 or Parabelum is the common 9MM round. 9MM Largo is longer cased and more powder volume, 9X18 or Makarov is a similar round to 380. 9MM bullet(ish), small case.
    Clear as Mud?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020