Glock Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not for me but my brother. He just picked up one of these, a CMMG Banshee 300 MK10 in 10mm, though this isn't a pic of what he actually got.
He likes classic firearms just as I do but also likes these types of firearms and already has an AR15 in .223 and an AR10 in .308 with all the bells and whistles.
He said he's going to keep this one pretty simple but I've heard that before. Fortunately he already reloads 10mm for a couple of his handguns so I told he better get busy making ammo. :)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...............
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Machine gun

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
He hadn't even shot it yet and was busy cleaning and getting to know it when I talked with him the other day. Then I imagine he spent a day just loading ammo for it. :)
Good thing he got it now because he's in Colorado and they're talking about creating more firearms restrictions especially for these types.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...............

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have wanted a 10mm "sub-gun" after reading about the MP10 years ago. Seems like a great home defense option.
It probably would be a good home defense option in the hands of someone that knows how to use it but my brother has a number of other rifles, handguns, shotguns, that would work just as well for home defense so I think his main incentive was just satisfying a desire for one.
Nothing at all wrong with that though because we all do it don't we? :)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp..............

·
Grumpy Old Man
8,478 Posts
It probable would be a good home defense option in the hands of someone that knows how to use it but my brother has a number of other rifles, handguns, shotguns, that would work just as well for home defense so I think his main incentive was just satisfying a desire for one.
Nothing at all wrong that though because we all do it don't we? :)
I can relate to that! Some years ago ,when I was young and single . I brought a Westerly and Richards double rifle chambered in .500 NE ! When I took it to the police station to register it, the cop looked at it and exclaimed! That's a Elephant rifle! What do you want a Elephant rifle for? I calmly explained that if the Elephant at the Adelaide Zoo, ever went Rouge! I was only a phone call away!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Westerly and Richards double rifle chambered in .500 NE !" Now "that" is a Big Boom Stick! :eek:
Very similar to the answer I give people when they ask why I have a 45-70 buffalo rifle. Well, one day I may need to stop a rampaging buffalo or something similar, like a semi truck. ;)
Though to be truthful I got just because I've always wanted one and it's fun to shoot. Kind of like having a small artillery piece. :)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.....................

·
Grumpy Old Man
8,478 Posts
"Westerly and Richards double rifle chambered in .500 NE !" Now "that" is a Big Boom Stick! :eek:
Very similar to the answer I give people when they ask why I have a 45-70 buffalo rifle. Well, one day I may need to stop a rampaging buffalo or something similar, like a semi truck. ;)
Though to be truthful I got just because I've always wanted one and it's fun to shoot. Kind of like having a small artillery piece. :)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.....................
My Marlin in 45-70 tends to get the same questions! I always explain that when, I take people out, for their first Camel hunt on foot! I have the best insurance I can carry ! It ain't to protect a lousy shot and a pissed off Camel ! It insures ,my safety as I'm too old and fat to run or climb trees these days 🧐

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The too old and fat to run or climb trees part definitely rings a bell. :ROFLMAO:
You have to wonder about folks that say a 45-70 is too slow. Oh yeah? Let's see you outrun it.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.............

·
Grumpy Old Man
8,478 Posts
The too old and fat to run or climb trees part definitely rings a bell. :ROFLMAO:
You have to wonder about folks that say a 45-70 is too slow. Oh yeah? Let's see you outrun it.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.............
Amen to that Brother! I don't know of anybody who has used the 45-70, who hasn't fallen under it's spell ! I quite fondly remember a rather self rightest child of about 15 yrs at the local rifle club, up home . I was plinking away with the Marlin. I was using squib loads, the kid was watching with great interest, I asked him if he would like a shot and he jumped at the opportunity! He had a shot and the little ingrate turned round and boasted his .243 had more kick! Now to begin with it was his fathers .243 and secondly, it annoyed me greatly, ,that he said this as though he was a great expert! So I asked if he would like another shot ? Several of my mates knew what was coming and wandered over to watch the lesson the 'Child' was about to be taught ! He'd fired a shot comprising of a 300 gr pill being pushed along by (from memory) about 11 grs of AR2205 (H4227) The next shot I gave him was a 405 jacketed being whipped within an inch of it's life, by 60 grs of AR2205! This load is used for Camels who have been wounded and are looking to do me 'grievous bodily harm'! The idiot shot the rifle whilst sitting! What followed was in a word 'spectacular' ! Kid near drops rifle and starts screaming his shoulder is broken and is nearly in tears! Round of applause from the spectators ( I take a bow)!
Several weeks later same range, same Kid ,same rifle. The difference? This time his got a Mate with him! The Mate comes up and is watching me shoot! His mate ,asks very politely, What sort of cartridge are you using? I explain it to him! He asks does it kick badly? At this point 'brains of the world' can't help himself! He tells his mate how the rifle near broke his shoulder! I can't help myself (being the Ba$%trd I am) I tell his mate, if you can shoot a .22lr ,you'll have no problem with this! Ignore your mate! His a 'big girls blouse' ! The kid somewhat reluctantly has a shot ,(a squib load) his as happy as a 'pig in poo'! Now I have proof that lightning does strike the same place twice! 'Brains of the world' demands (that's right demands ) another shot! Now I'm not completely without feelings! I make a point of showing him the Jacketed round (as apposed to lead round) but neglect to tell him the difference (hey he knows everything ) Once again he sits and fires and once again he screams and yells! His mate watches in fascination, then tells me I'm right! His mate, is a big girls blouse and wait till the kids at school hear about it! I even give the kid a empty cartridge to show the other kids! 😁 😆 🤣

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since my Highwall (a Uberti replica 1885) has a steel butt-plate I had a shooting vest made from an old Levi jacket with a gel pad sewn into it at the shoulder. One guy asked to shoot it and I offered him the vest. Nope, he didn't need it. Okay.... He pulled the trigger on a factory 350gr half jacketed hunting load and immediately changed his mind. :)
I have some Remington Express 405gr Core-Lokt soft point rounds but shooting one of them is like shooting a whole box of 300gr or 350gr target loads so they're on the "just in case" shelf in the safe.
When I got my Highwall a bunch of people asked me why I would buy something in an antique cartridge like the 45-70? After a couple of them shot it they were suddenly very interested in the "antique" cartridge and after doing some reading and watching videos ended up buying lever action "guide guns". Mostly Marlins but also Winchesters and Henry's.
A lot of folks here in Wyoming shoot 45-70 and 50 cal single shot rifles for fun and black powder competition but use lever action 45-70s for hunting for the ability of having quick follow up shots.

·
Grumpy Old Man
8,478 Posts
I had a shooting vest made from an old Levi jacket with a gel pad sewn into it at the shoulder.
I have a similar thing! Except mine is a pocket in which I insert a small sand bag! They're called a 'sissy bag'! I don't give a damn ,what they're called , I'm of a age where I don't have to prove my manhood any more! Nothing better than shooting .375 H&H or heavier all day from a bench with no discomfort! 🧐

1 - 13 of 13 Posts