Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1917 Colt service revolver in 45acp and have been looking for a 1911 in the same caliber but they've just gotten way too overpriced, even the import copies. While browsing the Armslist site for listings in Wyoming I happened to find this S&W 4566. It's on the other end of the state in Sheridan (I'm in Cheyenne) but the seller is asking a decent pre panic buying price for it and is tossing in four mags, two holsters, and around 300 rounds of ammo with it so tomorrow I'm making the 325 mile drive up to Sheridan.
The 45acp is my favorite handgun round and this has the features I like most on my 9mm Ruger P89; hammer fired, single/double action, with a de-cocker safety so I'll have a 45acp auto loader with the features I like most about my P89 in a relatively small package that resembles a 1911.
The grandson likes the 45acp round but isn't a revolver fan so I think he'll like this combination. Of course he won't get it until I croak or become to feeble to shoot :) but between his M19 and this he'll be set up nicely.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp..........
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
14,110 Posts
I have a 1917 Colt service revolver in 45acp and have been looking for a 1911 in the same caliber but they've just gotten way too overpriced, even the import copies. While browsing the Armslist site for listings in Wyoming I happened to find this S&W 4566. It's on the other end of the state in Sheridan (I'm in Cheyenne) but the seller is asking a decent pre panic buying price for it and is tossing in four mags, two holsters, and around 300 rounds of ammo with it so tomorrow I'm making the 325 mile drive up to Sheridan.
The 45acp is my favorite handgun round and this has the features I like most on my 9mm Ruger P89; hammer fired, single/double action, with a de-cocker safety so I'll have a 45acp auto loader with the features I like most about my P89 in a relatively small package that resembles a 1911.
The grandson likes the 45acp round but isn't a revolver fan so I think he'll like this combination. Of course he won't get it until I croak or become to feeble to shoot :) but between his M19 and this he'll be set up nicely.
View attachment 260999
I used to collect gen.3 S&W semi autos. I only have 2 left. I have the 4506 in 45 acp, & the 1006 in 10mm. They are awesome pistols, except the magazine safety kinda isn’t my favorite. Oh wait I almost forgot I have the CS9 chief special 9mm also.
Font Handwriting Electronic device Personal computer hardware Computer hardware

It took me several years to find the 1006 locally. I paid under the sticker price by $60. It was a consignment gun in the used cabinet. It looks like it was rarely shot though. Very nice S&W you have there!!

·
Premium Member
14,110 Posts
View attachment 260999
Is the one you got, have the DAO trigger?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like it’s in nice shape.
Can’t wait for your full report and range session.
I know I'm going to be tempted to pull off on a dirt road on the way back from Sheridan just to run a few rounds through it but I'm going to wait until after I take it down to clean and inspect it.
At least that's what I'm telling myself. :)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...............

·
Grumpy Old Man
6,862 Posts
I know I'm going to be tempted to pull off on a dirt road on the way back from Sheridan just to run a few rounds through it but I'm going to wait until after I take it down to clean and inspect it.
At least that's what I'm telling myself. :)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...............
My money is on the Dirt road option! Go on you know you want to 😉

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE:
So I made the drive up to Sheridan and picked up the 4566. It has a factory spur-less hammer so I sent an email to S&W to ask them what exactly I have and if I can replace the spur-less hammer with a spurred hammer.
Of course I had to pull off on a ranch road on the way back and give it a try. It operates perfectly and has the sweetest SA/DA trigger I've ever felt. :D
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp................

·
Premium Member
14,110 Posts
UPDATE:
So I made the drive up to Sheridan and picked up the 4566. It has a factory spur-less hammer so I sent an email to S&W to ask them what exactly I have and if I can replace the spur-less hammer with a spurred hammer.
Of course I had to pull off on a ranch road on the way back and give it a try. It operates perfectly and has the sweetest SA/DA trigger I've ever felt. :D
I like the spurless hammer.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I like the spurless hammer.
I do too and on this particular handgun the spur isn't really necessary but if I have a visible hammer I like having a spur on it. What can I say? I'm an old fart. :)
Here, along with 350 rounds of ammo, is what I ended up with. The black holster is a Gould & Goodrich 1700 and the tan holster is TEX Shoemaker & Sons 69R. The mags are all OEM.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.........
Wood Air gun Everyday carry Wood stain Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
14,110 Posts
I do too and on this particular handgun the spur isn't really necessary but if I have a visible hammer I like having a spur on it. What can I say? I'm an old fart. :)
Here, along with 350 rounds of ammo, is what I ended up with. The black holster is a Gould & Goodrich 1700 and the tan holster is TEX Shoemaker & Sons 69R. The mags are all OEM.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.........
View attachment 261117
Man that’s a sweet package. My advice is if you want more magazines. They are getting scarce. 1 1006 mag is almost $100.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Man that’s a sweet package. My advice is if you want more magazines. They are getting scarce. 1 1006 mag is almost $100.
I've been checking on mags and OEM ones are kind of pricey. The GunMag Warehouse has Promag 10 round mags for about $17 and 8 round mags for around $16 but I prefer to stay with OEM mags if possible.
Took the pistol apart and cleaned and lubed it, it wasn't filthy but it didn't look like that had been done in a while, and it seems to have a heavier recoil spring. I know a heavier spring is recommended for shooting + loads so I wonder if that was added?
After cleaning and lubing the slide was noticeably easier to pull back and the de-cocker lever moved easier too.
Amazing what a little lube at the right spots can do. :)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp............

·
Premium Member
14,110 Posts
I've been checking on mags and OEM ones are kind of pricey. The GunMag Warehouse has Promag 10 round mags for about $17 and 8 round mags for around $16 but I prefer to stay with OEM mags if possible.
Took the pistol apart and cleaned and lubed it, it wasn't filthy but it didn't look like that had been done in a while, and it seems to have a heavier recoil spring. I know a heavier spring is recommended for shooting + loads so I wonder if that was added?
After cleaning and lubing the slide was noticeably easier to pull back and the de-cocker lever moved easier too.
Amazing what a little lube at the right spots can do. :)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp............
I’ve never had good luck with ProMag.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’ve never had good luck with ProMag.

I found some 8 round OEM mags on Ebay so I'm thinking of getting 4 extra. The grandson came over to check the S&W out and liked it. He even figured out how to break it down and re-assemble it with just a little help from me.
Now we're going to take it and the Ruger P89 out so he can do some comparison shooting but I'm thinking he's going to go with the S&W, especially since he already has the M19 in 9mm.

·
Premium Member
14,110 Posts

I have these on my 4506, & I like them over the oem grips. FWIW.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I have these on my 4506, & I like them over the oem grips. FWIW.
I was looking at other grips including the Hogues and some nice looking wood grips. If the grandson decided he wants it I'll show him the options I found to see if any interest him. The P89 has Hogue grips on it and they definitely make a difference.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.......................

·
Premium Member
14,110 Posts
I was looking at other grips including the Hogues and some nice looking wood grips. If the grandson decided he wants it I'll show him the options I found to see if any interest him. The P89 has Hogue grips on it and they definitely make a difference.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.......................
There are some nice wood ones out there. Id like to get some wood grips for my 1006. I don’t really shoot it, so I might as well make it a good looking safe queen. 🤣

1 - 20 of 40 Posts