Glock Forum banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

· Banned
995 Posts
Rugby as typified by the 1995 SA Springboks vs New Zealand All Blacks match is the ultimate version of football.
I never did really figure out the rules of Rugby, it looks like a massive bar brawl with a ball thrown in to qualify it as a game, but, as a Belgium fan of the game once told me, it makes American football look like a game for weak girls. :)
My favorite sport though is MotoGP best exemplified by one rider, Valentino Rossi. As I used to describe it to my students it's like high speed ballet; when you're riding at your ultimate skill level you're perfectly balanced on the edge of crashing or you've crashed.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp..............

· Banned
995 Posts
Wait, wait, hold the press ... maybe I just don't understand how to break in a leather holster. Applying a little bit more pressure it does seem to fit. Maybe leave it in there overnight so the leather can adjust to the form of the gun.

(insert jokes here "you have to ram it in Peter! that's how it works!" - ok bring it on already - go on, just do it)

View attachment 273643
I saturate a stiff holster inside and out with leather oil then place the handgun in it and let it sit for 2-3 days in a warm spot as the oil absorbs and the leather forms around the handgun. If the holster has a regular style belt loop I put a belt in the loop doubled up. Be aware though that this will darken non sealed leather.
I've used all kinds of leather treatment products and my preferred leather oil is Obenauf's.
All my leather stuff, belts, holsters, saddlebags, etc., get treated with it at least once a year.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.............

· Banned
995 Posts
Common sense gun safety laws?
Despite 50 years or so of common sense after common sense Gun laws being enacted it seems that common sense ain’t working!😤
That's because despite all evidence to the contrary some folks still don't understand that while intelligence and common sense can be taught and used they cannot be legislated.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.................

· Banned
995 Posts
That's interesting. Under Missouri law apparently the identity of CCW permit holders may not be released to any federal or state entities, so the audit request by the FBI is probably not going anywhere.

That said I would be interested in knowing the crime statistics for CCW holders. My educated guess is that is it probably pretty low, since in many States they have to pass background checks etc. and if you fail those, you won't get the CCW permit.

The USCCA has some data points on their website, but that is for a few counties and States.

While some CCW permit holders no doubt commit crimes I seriously doubt that many real criminals apply for CCW permits so as usual the Feds are going after the wrong people.
But what can you expect from an organization that was set up by a man, J. Edgar Hoover, who said, "Justice is merely incidental to law and order." Meaning that "law" has little to do with what is "right & just" and much more to do with what the State considers "order".
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...........

· Banned
995 Posts
Excellent article.
"People on both sides of the gun control debate just like to cite whatever study happens to support their narrative or position"
Data can always be manipulated to support one opinion or the other. Which is why none of these studies, no matter which side is using the data, can be trusted.

· Banned
995 Posts
Update to Missouri story. The Missouri county sheriffs are telling the Federales "not going to happen".
County sheriffs tend to be that way with anybody trying to tell them what to do in "their" counties, especially Federal people.
Sometimes that's a good thing and sometimes it's not. In this instance I definitely consider it a good thing. Here's to the sheriffs. (y)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...............

· Banned
995 Posts
"Found this website with numbers of crimes committed by CCW holders"
One of the first things that caught my eye at the site is this, "These incidents include homicides, suicides, mass shootings, murder-suicides, lethal attacks on law enforcement, and unintentional deaths".
So the creators of this "data" base have lumped all manner of firearm related shootings and deaths by CCW holders together and then cherry picked whatever information supports their claims.
Sounds like well balanced research to me. :rolleyes:
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp............

· Banned
995 Posts
Oh now, come on, remember when you could buy a 1921 Thompson machine gun or a 1918 BAR by mail order?
I do. I also remember seeing milsurp rifles in 55 gallon barrels at gun shops with price tags like "$50 your choice" on the barrels. :) My 1st large caliber rifle was a sporterized 1903A3 in 30-06.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp..................

· Banned
995 Posts
Other than to just add more confusion and red tape to an already screwed up State and situation what is the point of these new Californication regulations?
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp................
Ah, I see Danzig has already posted a plausible explanation. :)
IMO just more reasons never to step foot in the State. Not that I needed any more reasons!

· Banned
995 Posts
"The way I see it, there are roughly three categories of people who should not have access to guns"
To address your three categories.
#1. The "Gun Show Loophole" is another fabrication of anti firearm groups used by them and the media to exaggerate a real but quite small problem. While a few criminals might go to a gun show to look at and possibly buy a firearm I doubt, considering the type of folks that frequent gun shows which always includes a number of off duty LEOs, that most would feel comfortable in doing so. Numerous studies by both anti and pro firearm advocates have shown that the vast majority of firearms used by criminals are stolen and sold illegally on the black market by other criminals.
So while the 1000s of laws that are suppose to keep criminals from obtaining firearms legally do work they have done little to nothing to keep criminals from obtaining firearms illegally. More of the same type of laws will be just as ineffectual.
#2 The father was an idiot that acted criminally and unfortunately is raising another generation of idiots but he is not typical of those firearm owners that through poor or no training do careless and stupid things like leaving firearms unsecured where children can get to them.
IMO the best way to address this problem would be to mandate completion of a firearms safety and shooting course as a prerequisite to purchasing a firearm. All studies, both anti and pro firearm, have shown that correct training is the most effective method to lower the numbers of injuries and deaths that occur from acts of carelessness and stupidity.
#3 The Uvalde shooter and the majority of his compatriots had been brought to the attention of various agencies and authorities prior to the shootings for threatening comments and/or acts but due to faults in the systems that are suppose to recognize and identify these types of people, along with a lack of cooperation between different authorities and agencies, they fell through the cracks.

· Banned
995 Posts
A couple simple solutions for those intending to commit a crime with a handgun; either use a revolver or have the pistol in a bag to catch the empty brass.
Seriously though, obliterating any identifying marks on a breech face would be a simple matter. Of course I imagine the proponents of this useless law have a secondary law in mind to make doing so a crime too.
But in the end this would simply result in two more laws for criminals to ignore.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.............

· Banned
995 Posts
Great video. I recognized the Oude Kerk, the Leidseplein, and some other locations. :)
Growing up riding bicycles and being taught and following basic rules of safety makes riding a bicycle much safer over there. Even the car drivers grow up riding bicycles, and most still do, so they're more careful around them plus having bike paths "everywhere" keeps bikes and cars from having to share roads outside of town.
Having neighborhood bakeries, butcher shops, cafes (bars), and other shops near where you live also makes it easier and more convenient to use a bike or public transport for almost everything.
Not to mention that getting a driver license over there is both very difficult and expensive, as is fuel, so altogether using a bicycle just makes more sense.
Totally different lifestyle and mentality between there and where you are now.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp............

41 - 60 of 78 Posts