Glock Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

· Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #338 ·
To anwer your question, it's two things:

1. 1. Curiosity. There is a big debate in the US about whether are good or bad, whether they should be regulated, why there are mass shootings, and so on and so forth. I was just curious what it would take to buy a gun myself, how difficult it would be, what paperwork would be involved, what it would be like to own a gun, etc etc.
    2. Self-protection and protection of others. This is really not the primary reason, it's a distant second. But I am serious about it, and I want to become proficient as a shooter.
Hi pr5992,
No offense, but you bought a gun for the wrong reasons. I hope that with time, gun ownership is to you what it means to us.
We understand and accept the responsibility that comes with gun ownership. It is part of our lives, part of who we are as individuals and as a country, and what we stand for.
We own guns for hunting, sporting activities and self defense, but we also believe in the importance of the 2nd Amendment and gun ownership to guarantee the security of a free state and the freedom of its people.
Good luck.

· Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #352 ·
Don't get me wrong, I am not opposed to the second amendment, and I am not on a mission to take everyone's guns away.

I am just curious about the gun culture, as a new citizen, and why there is such an obsession with guns in this country.

I purchased a gun for self defense but also for educational purposes, so at least I have an understanding of how guns work.
We are not obsessed with guns. That is an important clarification, as we are not the picture that media outlets paint of legal gun owners.
We grew up around guns, they are part of our history, part of our American DNA. And as history has shown, the first thing dictators go after is guns and the right of the people to speak freely.

· Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #369 · (Edited)
are you sure they sent you the right one for that model ?
crossbreed is a good holster too.
I have several similar to those from Versacarry , excelent quality, and they have always fit my guns just fine, but for sure need to be broken in, Holster Break-In Instructions

View attachment 273525

View attachment 273524

View attachment 273526
View attachment 273527

I have tried a lot of holsters, and I seem to like my full kydex ones the best for ease of removing and putting back in easily and quick.
the only negative I can say about my kydex holsters is they put wear marks on the slide, but hey ! I like my guns to look used, I use them everyday and never sitting under glass just to look at.
Nice selection!
Concealment Express / Rounded Gear applies a coating to the inside of the holsters that doesn’t scratch the guns.
I agree, scratches add character to the guns. But if one if looking for that little extra protection, check Concealment Express holsters.

· Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #472 ·
pr5992,
I think you should concentrate on practicing at 7 yards only for a while. It is easier to see what you are doing (right or wrong) at shorter distances.
Anything you are doing wrong now, is augmented when you shoot the target at 25 yards.
I see you are determined to improve your shooting skills. Keep at it and you will. Good luck!

· Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #551 ·
And as to category three, this video shows exactly what I am talking about about. The recording video of Nikolas Cruz, yet another young white male who is emotionally and mentally unstable who goes off on a shooting spree.

"With the Power of my AR, You Will Know Who I Am".

Parkland, Florida.

"It's going to be a big event."

That is what is wrong with America, people.

That proves that Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc., and the FBI and similar entities are the ones failing the American people.
Btw, it would be best and appropriate to refer to these individuals as individuals (or criminals) instead of the “young white male” comment. That comment could be seen as an attack on a certain part of the population, when in reality (1) criminals come from anywhere and (2) there are millions of young white male individuals who are a great example of character and behavior.

· Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #552 ·
If gun control laws worked Chicago would be the safest city in the nation.
We all see how that's working out.
Exactly!
We don’t need gun control laws. What we need (besides the training and safety requirements Dr. Tramp mentioned) is tougher penalties for those who commit a crime, with or without a gun.

· Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #571 ·
To be sure, I am not saying that all while young men are evil, that's silly. Most of them are probably of great moral character. I'm also not talking about criminals, I'm talking about the crazy kid that goes over the edge mentally and thinks shooting everything and everyone is the solution for his problems.

If you look at the numbers of all active attacks over the last two decades (research by ALERTT, the agency affiliated with the University of Texas which also provides active shooter training for law enforcement) the "typical" mass shooter is a. caucasian (over 50%), b. is 33 years old on average, c. uses a firearm and d. has no relationship with his victims.

ALERTT is an independent organization which trains law enforcement, and was set up in partnership with law enforcement. So I doubt they have a secret agenda either pro or against guns, their job is just to train law enforcement and try to figure out what the issue is.

View attachment 274276

I'm not a shrink but there's something going on with these kids.

View attachment 274275

What percentage of the US population is Caucasian, African American, Latino, Asian, etc?
If you consider that number, you can see which group has a larger percentage of “bad” guys.
Add to that, not only mass shootings, but all the crimes commited by each group and I bet that the young white male is the less “dangerous” one.
The point is that when one starts a conversation profiling an individual, one is doing so with the wrong idea in mind.
We should call criminals, criminals, without looking at their race, sex or political affiliation.
I’m tired of the label the media and the left puts on every white, conservative, republican men or women, when in fact, even though there are crazies in every group, most white men/women, conservatives and republicans are good people, good hard working people.

· Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #584 · (Edited)
….yet another young white male who is emotionally and mentally unstable….
You didn’t get my point.
You should have said: “yet another INDIVIDUAL who is emotionally and mentally unstable….”
Saying “another young white male” sounds a lot like profiling and puts the wrong label on many wonderful young white men. Along those same lines, we have many wonderful African Americans, Latinos, Asians, etc., that should not be labeled for the bad things others do.
Btw, I don’t mean that you are profiling. It just sounds bad, so we should avoid doing so.

· Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #601 ·
I buy the 6 inch targets for my wife to shoot at. You can get 60 of those for 11.99 on Amazon, and they are plenty big enough to shoot at for her. She shoots them at 10 yards and can put all shots inside the 8 ring which is about 3.5 inches in diameter. You can also cover the shots with the furnished dots and re-shoot at the same target and save money that way.
The Shoot-N-C targets are the best.
I prefer the 6 inch targets too.

· Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #602 ·
I think you are spot on. I don't know how much further I'll go competition-wise, but probably not much further than what I'm doing now, so mastering the factory trigger seems the most prudent and practical thing to do at this juncture. Besides, I'm much more inclined towards practical, defensive shooting and training, so factory reliability is paramount. I might still hit one of the local gun stores and handle a G34 to see if the trigger is any better out of the box. Based on your description of striker-fired pistol trigger characteristics, I'm guessing it's not a significant improvement over the 19. There's also the potential for better accuracy with the 34 due to the longer barrel and slight radius, but I guess I'm looking for an excuse to acquire another gun...Anyway, sage and sound advice - I'll stick with the factory trigger and work on mastering that.
Take a look at the G45 too. I have a couple of G19s, a G17 and other Glocks, and the G45 is becoming my favorite.
I don’t have a G34 to compare it to though, but for me, the G45 shoots “better” than my G19s and G17.

· Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #701 ·
The conclusion should not be linear, because the cause is complex.

Black homocides are ENVIRONMENT related, not race. The gangs account for a large amount of the homocides, but also self-defense in crime intensive areas. Why does lily white Europe have such low number of homocides? Because handguns are not avaiable, even though now gang access to firearms from the Balkans is increasing and law enforcement is expecting a large influx of firearms on the black market from the war in Ukraine, which will lower the price, which will allow access to the low class and alcoholics. If EU soccer hooligans and old disgruntled white men could buy guns in any candy store for the price they could easily afford in addition to their hooch, then Europe would easily trump the USA in homocides. I have seen some real wonders in European incidents that are unthinkable in the US.

Germany of 104 years is a prime example of white violent crime. The country had an almost non-existing homocide rate between 1945 and 2000, but an usually large violence rate measured by hospital admissions and police reports. So violent that in demos the police would regularly get beat up, with crow bars, fists, whatever, even though the police engagend in company strength, 100 riot cops with gear. The difference in homocides were, that no firearms were available. After WWI the German veterans brought their guns home with them, from the front. What ensued between 1918 and 1939 is plain for all to see, including pocket revolutions. After 1945, all the guns were confiscated by the Allies, on the Soviet occupied side with house to house searches including metal detectors, and between 1945-2000 the homocides where the lowest anywhere. Oddly enough, the homocides have increased drastically in the last 20 years, the available weapons are knives, and distinctive are the perps willing to use them.

Detectives have a good motto, motive/opportunity/means. The USA has the means, no-one else does, other then Afghanistan, Iraq, etc. Even Switzerland, which had every adult male in the reserves with an assault gun in the closet, had changed its modus operandi and limited access to firearms, even for the reserves, drastically.
Are you saying that guns are the problem?
Not the people or the declining society’s values we see nowadays?

· Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #830 · (Edited)
Sometimes they’ll have a number or email for the instructor of the class. I’d check in with him for recommendations on holster and gear.

Remember everything breaks when you don’t want it to so I try to bring extras of everything. Ear protection, extra ammo, magazines, extra gun, tools, etc.
Come on! Glocks don’t break.
Seriously, I agree with you. I have not had one fail, but every time I take a class I bring a second gun, spares, and extras for everything.

· Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #862 ·
Thanks ... they still sell something that at least looks similar. $37, pretty close to the hip though.

Signature OWB Holster

I also saw this Black Scorpion, little more expensive ($100 on Amazon). It sits a bit further away from the hip. Any thoughts on that? Not good for concealed carry probably but this is just for competition.

They both look good. I have used Blade Tech before. I like their holsters.
Btw, don’t forget to buy a good gun belt.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts