Glock Forum banner
21 - 40 of 217 Posts

· Registered
739 Posts
I’d sure like to have a gun safe, but I simply don’t have the room in my house at this time. Once my 2 son’s leave the nest I’ll be able to get one then.
I have an Awesafe gunsafe for $150 from Amazon. Easy to use with biometric fingerprint, number combination and keylock in case everything else fails (or the batteries die). Plenty of room for my Glock 17. If you have several handguns and rifles you'll need something bigger though.

· Registered
739 Posts
"They were teachers in my country of birth, the Netherlands. The US is completely different from the Netherlands"
You definitely got that right. The education systems in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, and most of the rest of western Europe are so much better and more advanced that the US education system that they really can't be compared.
I worked as an instructor at the MMI (Motorcycle Mechanics Institute) Phoenix campus for several years and it was truly disheartening to see how uneducated and unprepared the students just out of high school were.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp................
That is an interesting discussion. I can't compare the high school system in Europe to the high school system in the US. Way back when I went to high school in the 1970s and 1980s you could go to university depending on what type of high school diploma you got. I don't know whether it has changed, but back then you had to have a 'atheneum' or 'gymnasium' degree. Gymnasium had nothing to do with a sports, it was a type of high school track that included Latin and Greek languages. Then when you graduated age 18 you either had to serve in the miltary (if you were a male) for 1 to 2 years or you went straight to university. Back then there was still a draft or conscription. I was not drafted because the military because they had enough guys of my particular age. No college! Might sound strange but that's the way it was, and maybe still is. When you are 18 you have to make up your mind what you're going to be -- lawyer, doctor, engineer, mechanic. I went to conservatory of music and law school and finished both within the 6 years allotted. Since my parents were middle class income, I got a partial scholarschip from the state. I ended up with two degrees, one as classical guitar teacher, and one as lawyer. And a small student debt of maybe a few thousand guilders (can't remember) which I paid off in a few years. Got a great job and had a good career.

My pet peeve with the US educational system, and college in particular, is that it is so EXPENSIVE $$$$. Law school graduates here can have hundreds of thousands of dollars in student debt ... how on earth are you going to pay that back unless you land a job with a major law firm where you work 100 hours per week?!

· Registered
739 Posts
Silly fact, but gun laws only affect the law abiding.
Yes and no. Criminals will find a way to get their hands on guns, sure.

But the real question is: how can we keep guns out of the hands of nutcases that plan to go a shooting spree in schools, churches, etc.? That guy in Uvalde had no criminal record. He was a law abiding citizen until the morning he walked into a school and started killing kids.

If you go back at look his personal history, there were certainly red flags about his mental state of mind. How do you prevent mental timebombs like that from getting their hands on guns?

· Registered
739 Posts
The state made it up to individual school districts to adopt or not programs that arm teachers.
Here is the text of the law;

School Marshal

HB 1009, passed by the 83rd legislature, allows public school districts and open enrollment charter schools to appoint School Marshals. The 84th legislature passed SB 386 to include Public two year junior colleges in the list of institutions that can appoint School Marshals. The 85th legislature passed HB 867, which allows private schools to appoint School Marshals.
The sole purpose of a School Marshal is to prevent the act of murder or serious bodily injury on school premises, and act only as defined by the written regulations adopted by the School Board/Governing Body.
After making application with the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement, a qualifying institution must send the candidate to an 80 hour training course, conducted by a law enforcement academy that has been specifically prepared to provide the school marshal curriculum. Among the topics covered in the School Marshal course are: physical security, improving the security of the campus, use of force, active shooter response, and weapon proficiency. No other course can be substituted or exempt an individual from the specific school marshal training course.
Appointing Entity Information
The Appointing Entity will be the School Board/Governing Body of a Public School, Open Enrollment Charter School, or a Public two Year Junior College.
Process to appoint a school marshal:
1. Appointing Entity must submit the completed Appointing Entity Number Application to TCOLE. This form designates all authorized signatures on forms and paperwork to follow. (Provided upon request).
2. Appointing Entity selects candidate(s) for School Marshal.
  • Candidate(s) must be an employee(s) of the school or college.
  • Candidate(s) must hold a valid License to Carry, issued through the Texas Department of Public Safety. (Copy submitted to TCOLE).
  • Candidate(s) must pass a psychological exam (TCOLE will provide this form).
  • Candidate(s) attends/completes TCOLE approved 80 hour School Marshal course.
3. Appointing Entity submits School Marshal Appointment Form and Fee. Once approved, a School Marshal license will issue to the candidate(s). He or she will be authorized to act as a School Marshal, per the written regulations adopted by the School Board/Governing Body.

—————————————————————
Now I will tell you this law has been praised and condemned by both sides of the argument. Unions and media having a left viewpoint claim no teachers are interested. That’s not true as I’ve talked to a few teachers that are interested in the program. A few school districts have started programs and the Uvalde shooting has convinced some other schools to sign on.
A similar program is happening in churches as well. I work security in churches and popularity in that program varies depending on location, parishioner makeup and other variables.
That's interesting, thanks for posting.

This morning there was an article in the Washington Post about Utopia, a small town in Texas, not too far from Uvalde (44 miles according to google maps). See link below.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/06/27/armed-teachers-texas-uvalde-permit/

Utopia is very rural, and if there were a school shooting incident, it would take law enforcement probably half an hour to even get to the school, which is a long time.

So after Sandy Hook in 2012 the school board allowed teachers to arm themselves, after completing the program for a carry concealed weapon. Apparently several teachers did, which is consistent with your experience.

“When you live out like this, you have to take care of yourself,” said Karen Heideman, Utopia Independent School District’s longtime business manager. She is working to get a permit so she can carry a firearm to work. “You can’t just dial nine-eleven and expect to have a policeman here in less than five minutes.”

To me that makes perfect sense. I live in Oakland and if there is a shooting incident and we call 911, the OPD will arrive within one or two minutes. We've had situations in our building, most recently some nutcase finding his way into one of the apartments and threatening the tenants with a screwdriver. At least half a dozen OPD squad cars showed up in no time to secure the building and after a stand-off of several, arrest the suspect.

The practical problem for teachers willing to arm themselves, is $$$ and time - it takes time to go through the program, and taking classes is not free.

· Registered
739 Posts
"how can we keep guns out of the hands of nutcases that plan to go a shooting spree in schools, churches, etc.?"
How about applying analytic thought to the problem? First step; identify the problem, which in this case means realizing and admitting that there are actually two types of problems with firearms in the US. They overlap but are different.
There are the actions of criminals and crazies with firearms which result in crimes, deaths, and injuries and are usually intentional.
Then there are the actions of legal but untrained or poorly trained individuals with firearms which result in crimes, deaths, and injuries and are usually unintentional.
The problems cannot be solved by lumping them together and attempting to create a one size fits all solution. Nor can they be solved unless and until responsible firearm owners take an active part in the problem solving process.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp..................

PS: I didn't want to divert the discussion so responded to your comment on education with a PM.
I agree - though there are actually three types of people who should not have access to guns:

1. Criminals
2. Untrained idiots (parents leaving guns outside safes etc)
3. Mentally unstable people who are legally able to purchase guns. Think of Uvalde but there are so many more examples.

· Registered
739 Posts
To address the legal side of the problem there is a simple initial step. Require all people that want to buy a firearm from a licensed dealer to show that they have completed a comprehensive firearms safety and shooting course before they can do so.
That is actually a really good idea. Even here in California to purchase a fire arm you only have to pass a background check, wait 10 days, and unless you're a felon you are good to go. The firearms dealer actually has to have you go through a basic test but that is so basic ... it's basically demonstrating that you are able to insert a magazine, release the magazine, and release any cartridges from the chamber by pulling the slide. Takes maybe two minutes.

I am a gun owner now but I can tell you that even after watching dozens of youtube videos and dry firing hundreds of snap caps I do not feel comfortable enough so I signed up with a full day gun safety course with a certified instruction on July 10 (all day, including several hours at a range).

· Registered
739 Posts
The gun debate is super extreme and polarized. You are either pro gun or anti gun. NO MIDDLE GROUND!!

Which seems like bull**** to me.

And I am a brand new gun owner, I'm still learning how to use my gun. I'm originally from Europe, I did not grow up with guns. Guns were for the cops or the military. No gun culture from where I come from. Some criminals had guns, the cops would arrest them, that was it.

I've been watching a lot of youtube videos on gun safety and gun policy over the past couple of weeks, I like this guy, Paul Harrell, former marine, now instructor. He is very articulate and well reasoned.

· Registered
739 Posts
Hey guys

On July 10 I'll get my first training on the range with my own Glock. I am a gun newbie so this is all pretty new to me. I talked to my instructor tonight, he's a former marine and now works for Homeland Security. He was endorsed by the USCCA. He sounds pretty solid to me.

I want to get this out of the training:

1. A solid understanding of gun safety and gun handling
2. A solid understanding of what I can and cannot do in California to protect me and my loved ones
3. A solid understanding of what 'loved ones' means - is it just me, or my neighbors? Or anyone being threatened with legal force? For example, Asian family with kids across the street being held at gunpoint. Just a hypothetical example.

Anything I am missing?

Thanks!

· Registered
739 Posts
If you get a CCW permit where you can and cannot carry.
How to fortify your home and plan if there’s a break in.
Thanks!

The CCW permit thing is interesting. The course was advertised as a course to get a CCW, but the laws in California are such that it is very difficult to get a CCW permit and I most likely don't qualify. You have to have "good cause", which is a pretty strict test. But now that the Supreme Court has declared a similar statute in New York unconstitutional, it's a bit of a grey area ...

But regardless, it's $180 for an all day course including several hours on the range, so that's a pretty good deal. Even if I don't get the CCW it'll be fun and a good learning experience.

· Registered
739 Posts
If you have legal questions find a pro 2A lawyer and talk to him.
Laws change and people interpret them differently and instructors are not lawyers! I've arrested more than 1 who said ...but my instructors said....well your instructor was wrong!

And as Danzig said. Find other instructors and take their courses.

You're already on the right path with your willingness to learn. Listen,take notes,ask questions and relax. On the range don't worry about speed. Focus on form and grip, sight picture, and overall technique. Then put it all together so it's all 1 smooth action. Speed will come with time.
Slow is fast and fast is slow.
Yeah, I was thinking about talking to a lawyer. I joined USCCA over the weekend (after watching youtube videos on legal force which made me more nervous the more I watched, lol). There's one guy right here in Oakland listed on their website who seems like a pretty solid defense attorney. If I ever do get myself in a live shooting situation which I dearly hope will never happen, a local lawyer will be more useful than the best defense attorney in NYC.

I also thought reaching out to the Oakland police department and get their opinion. There was an incident a few months ago where some crazy guy with a screwdriver managed to get inside one of the apartments in our building in the middle of the day. OPD came out with at least a half dozen squad cars, and it took several hours to defuse the situation. Afterwards the building managers had a couple of OPD officers over to go over the building and offer safety tips. Maybe I should go back to them and see if they have any specific guidance on lethal force. It's also good in terms of building relationship with the OPD, there is a lot of 'defend the police!" sentiment in the Bay Area (until they get that uninvited visitor at 3 am of course, then the cops can't get to their homes fast enough). Never hurts imo to show your cops that you do appreciate their service to the community, right?

· Registered
739 Posts
Hey everyone:

Does anybody here carry a body cam? Anything you can recommend? This one?

I'm not a cop, I was thinking of buying one in case I ever get in a situation where I have to shoot in self-defense, just for evidentiary purposes and the legal aftermath. That's probably going to be a really messy situation with a lot of 'he said she said', and a good chance I won't be able to remember exactly what happened.

I have a car cam which saved me a lot of money when my car was hit by two other cars, and everyone except me was lying about exactly what happened and who did what. I was able to show the car cam video to the insurance companies and force them to reimburse me (after threatening them with a lawsuit).

Thanks!

· Registered
739 Posts
While it’s becoming more popular in vehicles, I think we’re a ways away from personal civilian bodycams.

Whatever happened to the Google glasses? That seemed the easiest way to wear a bodycam.
I just looked up Google glasses, but those are expensive. And I am not sure what happens to the footage. For sure I don't want it to be uploaded anywhere. I want something simple and cheap, and sturdy, that I can hand over to a police officer and just say "here's what happened", and then they can see for themselves.

Maybe I am overthinking all of this being a gun newbie, but I'm in California and you have to be careful here.

· Registered
739 Posts
Yes, you will have far more to worry about than a video if you get into a shooting here. Again, depends on the responding LEO, CHP, PD or Sheriffs. And what they DA says about the case and in which county it occurred.

You know CA is going to require liability insurance in the near future? Some cities already put it in place. I'm curious to know what it's going to cost.

Aside, but the gun parts law has already taken place on July 1. All gun parts have to be purchased from an FFL now.
Yeah, I read about that. I'm not wild having to pay for yet more insurance, especially considering that the insurance policy will likely have an exclusion for illegal use or misuse of the gun. So it'll just benefit the insurance companies, they'll have another source of revenue.

· Registered
739 Posts
This is the body cam I got. Built very sturdily, and records high definition video with night cam etc. Lots of settings.

Not exactly "stealth recording" but this is the kind of thing that you can switch on with the click of a button while keeping both hands free.

I might use it on the range to record my progress as well.

Digital camera Reflex camera Camera accessory Cameras & optics Gadget

· Registered
739 Posts
Ray Ban makes smart glasses which you can use for video audio and some other things too. theyre around $300.00
Yeah, those look nice, and much more 'concealed' if you will than a body cam.

This weekend I tested the body cam on a 2 1/2 hour bike ride, works very well and sturdy, but it also pulls the shirt down. If you want a device to record your bike ride (for purposes of evidence in case you get into an accident or just to put pretty footage on youtube etc) this is not the best device, a gopro would probably be better.

But the prime purpose for me and why I posted is to have something that is easy to use in case of a bad situation so I can record everything easily and quickly while keeping my hands free.

· Registered
739 Posts
Have you considered a backhoe and a good local chop shop to take care of the vehicles left behind?
I am happy to leave that to the local authorities. Many crashed vehicles here, lots of trash laying around.

These days technology helps. I take a picture, report it through some smart app, and voila few days later some agency cleans up the mess.

21 - 40 of 217 Posts