Glock Forum banner
241 - 260 of 1009 Posts

· Registered
2,411 Posts
I went back to the range yesterday, and noticed I was much less rattled by the noise and the bang. It's probably just a matter of getting used to it. I don't I'll ever really enjoy it but who knows. it's not a sport for me, it's a means of self defense, so I just want to be as good as I can be. Yes 911 is the first go to and I love my local OPD but if somebody comes kicking down my door it'll take them some time to get here, by which time there's a good chance I will be dead or seriously injured. I'd rather shoot back and have the OPD over to investigate the details.
Keep in mind that shooting skills are a diminishing skill set. If you don't use them regularly (practice) your skills will diminish very quickly. Learn proper fundamentals. Stance, grip, sight alignment, trigger control. With a solid foundation with the fundamentals you will quickly see vast improvement in your shot groups. I don't candy coat firearms training results. Based on the photo of your target, I question the skill and ability of your instructor. First time shooter or not, that target is plain bad. I don't blame the shooter, I blame the instructor. They should have identified which of the fundamentals you are weak and correct you on the spot. That would show an immediate improvement on your target results. Too many instructor give kudos and praise for subpar results. They want the student to feel good so they will come back. What they are really doing is lining their pockets rather than teaching proper skills. I will give students praise when they have earned it. Their results are a direct reflection on my ability to teach proper fundamentals. Choose your instructors wisely.

· Banned
160 Posts
It's an artist work / live community, in an industrial neighborhood called Jingletown.
Never knew this about that area in Oakland:

"Jingletown, a vibrant arts community covered in murals and mosaics, lies adjacent to the Oakland Estuary. The name originated long ago, when there were large numbers of Portuguese immigrants living in the area, largely from the Azores in the Atlantic. The story goes that the Portuguese mill workers would stand around on the street corners in the evenings, chatting and fraternizing with one another while jingling the coins they had in their pockets. In the 1950s and '60s, the area saw an influx of families from Latin America, and it was the center of the Chicano civil rights movement of the late '60s and early '70s."

· Banned
995 Posts
Oh she’s definitely a beauty! Those old school Benzes are built like tanks and they are beautiful cars. These two below have always been on my short list of cars I’d love to have.

View attachment 272899

View attachment 272900
A fully accessorized Bentley Continental GT Speed is on my "when I win the Lotto" wish list. :)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...............

· Banned
160 Posts
A fully accessorized Bentley Continental GT Speed is on my "when I win the Lotto" wish list. :)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...............
My close friend has an orange convertible Bentley Continental GT Speed to match his orange McLaren 720S. The Bentley is definitely both a beauty and a beast with that roaring V12!

Tire Wheel Car Sky Vehicle

· Registered
735 Posts
My close friend has an orange convertible Bentley Continental GT Speed to match his orange McLaren 720S. The Bentley is definitely both a beauty and a beast with that roaring V12!

View attachment 273294
Very nice ... this is my current ride that I am actually very happy with.

Not super fancy or expensive, and the gas mileage is pretty bad, but it gets me everywhere in any weather, without having to change tires. Sun, rain, sleet, snow, mud, it's all good.

Plus I can mount my mountainbike on a bike rack.

213,000 miles and after new engine and transmission good for another couple of hundred thousand miles.

I love Jeeps, this is my 4th Jeep.

Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Tire

· Registered
735 Posts
Gorgeous. And the way the harp works is this:

1. You notice the metal thingies beneath the top of the string?
  2. They can rotate, and they are controlled by the pedal at the bottom of the harp.
  3. When they engage, they shorten the string, resulting in a higher pitch. Think of the guitar, when you a press a string down on a fret, it produced a higher note.
  4. The rotating thingies are controlled by pedals, at the bottom. There are seven of them, on each side, controlling each note in the scale: DCB (on the left) - EFGA (on the right).
  5. When the pedal is in the middle position, the strings it controls are neutral. Push the pedal down, and the note becomes sharp (half tone up); flip it up, and the note becomes flat (half tone down). By changing pedals harpists can play in any key.
  6. Changing harp pedaling takes a little bit of time though, so composers have to allow for that physical action. Harpists are not formula 1 drivers, lol.
  7. A good composer takes that into account, and orchestrators / copyists can help harpists by indicating pedal changes. The general rule is to leave pedaling to harpists, but include pedal markings for glissandi (that's where both hands go up and down the harp, very well known technique which you've seen many times).
  8. And the general rule for harps is that once plucked, the strings will keep ringing, unless the composer specifically includes a dampening sign.
And that's the harp in a nutshell! A beautiful instrument.

· Registered
735 Posts
A few pictures from a climbing expedition I went on in the Himalayas, back in 2004. Mt. Baruntse was the target, a little over 7,000 meters. I didn't make it to the summit, got frostbitten fingers and toes and had to be evacuated by chopper back to Kathmandu.

This was back in the day when parts of the countryside were controlled by Maoist rebels. You had to pay $40 "fee" per expedition member, or they wouldn't let you through. We decided not to risk it and paid up. If you didn't pay, there was a good chance that at some point guys would show up with AK47s and kindly ask you to return. Not worth the risk, we were responsible for a big group of porters and sherpas.

Sky Mountain Ecoregion Tent Natural landscape
Skin Blue Smile Facial expression Window
Plant Smile Botany People in nature Happy
Smile Cool Fun Event Cap
Sky Cloud Mountain Snow Slope
Glasses Snow Goggles Vision care Mountain
Sky Mountain Snow Cloud Slope
. Fond memories, Nepal is really beautiful.

· Glockin’ since 1993
51,446 Posts
A few pictures from a climbing expedition I went on in the Himalayas, back in 2004. Mt. Baruntse was the target, a little over 7,000 meters. I didn't make it to the summit, got frostbitten fingers and toes and had to be evacuated by chopper back to Kathmandu.

This was back in the day when parts of the countryside were controlled by Maoist rebels. You had to pay $40 "fee" per expedition member, or they wouldn't let you through. We decided not to risk it and paid up. If you didn't pay, there was a good chance that at some point guys would show up with AK47s and kindly ask you to return. Not worth the risk, we were responsible for a big group of porters and sherpas.

View attachment 273335 View attachment 273336 View attachment 273337 View attachment 273338 View attachment 273339 View attachment 273340 View attachment 273341 . Fond memories, Nepal is really beautiful.
I watched the TV show Everest: beyond the limit. Amazing all the work, preparation, money, time and mental/physical exertion involved.
Incredible.
Helmet Gas mask Sports gear Sports equipment Headgear

· Glockin’ since 1993
51,446 Posts
The Glock 17 is about as mild a 9mm as you can buy. Your shot pattern tells you that you're afraid of the bang and recoil. Why are you taking up pistol training? On the range you can wear ear protection, in an actual situation where you'd have to actually use it, the ear protection isn't there, and you'll get spooked. If you don't love the smell of gun powder in the morning, don't get aroused by the sound of gunfire, then this sport is not for you. If you want to keep it for protection, then 911 would be a better option. But no one should consider a firearm if they're innately afraid of it because it won't change, and there's nothing wrong with it. Uvalde showed that even a gaggle of police officers were never made to carry a firearm. Guns are not the remedy against fear and anxiety.
People don’t have to love it. It’s another tool for self defense. Some people it comes naturally some have to get used to it. Gun sales have set records the last 2 years because people are realizing that the police can’t be relied on. BLM/Antifa and no political will to address them means you and yours are on their own at the worst of times.
As far as ear protection and effects of not having it in a defensive encounter? There’s auditory exclusion.

· Super Moderator
58,807 Posts
Very nice ... this is my current ride that I am actually very happy with.

Not super fancy or expensive, and the gas mileage is pretty bad, but it gets me everywhere in any weather, without having to change tires. Sun, rain, sleet, snow, mud, it's all good.

Plus I can mount my mountainbike on a bike rack.

213,000 miles and after new engine and transmission good for another couple of hundred thousand miles.

I love Jeeps, this is my 4th Jeep.

View attachment 273334
You are a smart man.

· Registered
2,411 Posts
It’s my first Cadillac restoration & I’m already hoping I even break even on it. It’s a project car my bro & I am fixing up.
I hate to break it to you. Restoring a Caddy is a sink hole into the abyss. The chrome and bright work alone is a bank account killer. That said, I hope you can see it though to completion. Sexy rides when done up nice.

· Premium Member
15,195 Posts
I hate to break it to you. Restoring a Caddy is a sink hole into the abyss. The chrome and bright work alone is a bank account killer. That said, I hope you can see it though to completion. Sexy rides when done up nice.
Yeah, I know. You’d be surprised though. I sold my last restoration 1/2 way through. It was a 1965 Buick Rivera GS. I had no idea they had a cult like following. Guy made me an offer I couldn’t refuse. I loved the clam shell head light on that car, lol!!

241 - 260 of 1009 Posts