Glock Forum banner
221 - 240 of 1009 Posts

· Registered
738 Posts
Nice, my wife is a professional Harpist. Bachelor of Arts in Church Organ for a private university and a Theory Masters from the Royal School of Church Music in England. Took up the harp after 30 years of church jobs (they pay nothing).
Nice, the harp is one of my favorite instruments. It's also widely misunderstood by (beginning) composers, where they write something that is easily playable on the piano but very difficult on a harp (hint: the harp is not a piano flipped on its side).

· Registered
20 Posts
My first day at the range with my own handgun, the Glock 17. It was a great learning and training experience, from 8 am to 5 pm. This was the USCCA basic hand gun safety training, with class instruction in the morning, and several hours on the outdoor range in the afternoon.

Have to admit that shooting my Glock rattled me a little bit in the beginning, despite my double ear protection (Axil GS and Walker muffs). The big bang coupled with the recoil is quite something. I am still a newbie to guns. And following all the instructions and processing everything in time is something that needs practice. I made a couple of mistakes.

That said it was fun. This was at the Richmond Rod and Gun Club, in Richmond, CA, which is approx. 30 minutes away from Oakland and/or San Francisco.

My instructors, Reggie and Mike:

View attachment 272651

The target - my virtual bad guy is pretty dead I think. Not too difficult because he didn't fire back. But the drills can be difficult.

View attachment 272652
The Glock 17 is about as mild a 9mm as you can buy. Your shot pattern tells you that you're afraid of the bang and recoil. Why are you taking up pistol training? On the range you can wear ear protection, in an actual situation where you'd have to actually use it, the ear protection isn't there, and you'll get spooked. If you don't love the smell of gun powder in the morning, don't get aroused by the sound of gunfire, then this sport is not for you. If you want to keep it for protection, then 911 would be a better option. But no one should consider a firearm if they're innately afraid of it because it won't change, and there's nothing wrong with it. Uvalde showed that even a gaggle of police officers were never made to carry a firearm. Guns are not the remedy against fear and anxiety.

· Registered
12 Posts
This afternoon I went to a local range, the San Leandro Rifle and Pistol Range. This is both an indoor and outdoor range. See link below.

This range is only 15 minutes away from where I live, so it is very convenient for me. Easy parking, but if you visit this range, one tip: put ear protection in before you get out of your car, because the outdoor range is close to the parking lot with no walls or sound barriers in between them.

This was the first time alone at the range, and I was a little bit nervous and apprehensive about breaking any range rules or doing something stupid. But the range safety officer was very nice and welcoming. I explained that I was a gun newbie and he explained the rules, asked whether I wanted to use the indoor or outdoor range, and afterwards gave me tips about accuracy, dry fire practice shooting at home, etc. I chose indoor, since it has a cable thing that allows the target to be closer or farther away.

I fired 80 rounds, with the target at various distances. Hit the target most all times, although accuracy goes down when it's farther away. Well doh, suppose that is normal.

Have to admit that I am still a little nervous around firearms, and my hands were a little bit shaky handling the Glock. And the banging from my own gun and the other people on the range rattled me a little bit. Is that normal? Will it get better over time?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum! As with your Range Officer, you’ll find a lot of friendly, knowledgeable people here.
Yeah…it’ll get better. I’m probably a rookie compared to many here…I seriously started shooting about 10-12 years ago. I remember my first couple trips to the indoor range near me. Dude a few stations over had a Mossburg 500. Swear I dropped a little mud.
Keep practicing & you’ll gain confidence with your gun handling capabilities. Dry fire. A lot. Get a Mantis. Got a buddy who shoots? That was a big help for me starting out. I eventually joined an outdoor range. MUCH more pleasant. As another poster said…try some competition. I shoot in Glock, Springfield Armory & smallbore leagues at my range. Lotta fun, great people and you learn a LOT.
Welcome to shooting! I love it. Friendly advice…get outta Kommiefornia. 😁

· Registered
738 Posts
Yup, much harder to play than our local university organ...

View attachment 273181

View attachment 273182
The harp looks deceptively simple, but isn't - your wife can probably tell a story or two about this.

A violin is a very simple instrument at face ... piece of wood with f holes in it, four strings, a bow. But getting to the level of Hillary Hahn requires a lifetime of hours of daily practice and lots of talent. And that is true for many instruments.

· Registered
738 Posts
PR, what language is this? Klingon, Romulan, Predator?

View attachment 273203
LOL, too funny. That's a chart of a piece of music in F major, with sustained pedal notes and then arpeggiated patterns in the treble clef. The slur (wiggly thing in the treble clef) indicates that the notes should be played 'together', although on a harp you don't really have a choice as everything rings unless you dampen it (and then you have to indicate it with a dampen sign). Nice engraving by the way.

· Registered
738 Posts
I went back to the same range in San Leandro today, by the way, and I was less nervous and jittery. The safety range officer is Brian, really nice guy, very welcoming.

I had a plan: fire 80 rounds in total, starting out at the longest distance (20 yards which is approx 20 meters) to see how well I did. After firing 10 rounds I brought the paper target back, to see how I did. Not too terrible, but I noticed I tend to fire a little bit to the left. I marked the bullet holes with a black marker as "1" and then rolled the target back to the 20 yard line, and fired the second 10 rounds. After rolling the paper target back I marked those with "2", and I two more 10 round sessions. I noticed that every time I got a little bit better, some hitting the bulls eye.

It's a process or a journey ... 1. I need to get comfortable with the bangs and everything 2. I need to get accurate at close and longer distance and 3. I need to make this a routine workout as I will.

I'm still not sure whether I like guns but I chose to buy one, and now I got to live with it.

· Banned
995 Posts
Shooting to the left is common and usually means you need to work on your grip.

"I'm still not sure whether I like guns but I chose to buy one, and now I got to live with it"
Even if you eventually decide you don't like firearms and decide to give them up at least you now know something about them and those that own and use them.
Now when you're at some high falootin Bay Area social event and someone starts in with the usual evil guns and gun owners BS you can shock them with some actual facts. ;)
In the meantime you're working at becoming competent with yours instead just sticking in a drawer which is more than a lot of folks do. Congrats. :)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp....................

· Registered
738 Posts
Shooting to the left is common and usually means you need to work on your grip.

"I'm still not sure whether I like guns but I chose to buy one, and now I got to live with it"
Even if you eventually decide you don't like firearms and decide to give them up at least you now know something about them and those that own and use them.
Now when you're at some high falootin Bay Area social event and someone starts in with the usual evil guns and gun owners BS you can shock them with some actual facts. ;)
In the meantime you're working at becoming competent with yours instead just sticking in a drawer which is more than a lot of folks do. Congrats. :)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp....................
LOL

I'm not going to be at any high flying Bay Area social event. They don't want me, because I am not rich or famous.

Even if I were invited, I'd probably politely decline. I don't care for socializing.

That said, I do like the range in San Leandro. They cater to anyone, even gun noobs like me. That's the kind of party I like.

· Registered
738 Posts
The Glock 17 is about as mild a 9mm as you can buy. Your shot pattern tells you that you're afraid of the bang and recoil. Why are you taking up pistol training? On the range you can wear ear protection, in an actual situation where you'd have to actually use it, the ear protection isn't there, and you'll get spooked. If you don't love the smell of gun powder in the morning, don't get aroused by the sound of gunfire, then this sport is not for you. If you want to keep it for protection, then 911 would be a better option. But no one should consider a firearm if they're innately afraid of it because it won't change, and there's nothing wrong with it. Uvalde showed that even a gaggle of police officers were never made to carry a firearm. Guns are not the remedy against fear and anxiety.
I went back to the range yesterday, and noticed I was much less rattled by the noise and the bang. It's probably just a matter of getting used to it. I don't I'll ever really enjoy it but who knows. it's not a sport for me, it's a means of self defense, so I just want to be as good as I can be. Yes 911 is the first go to and I love my local OPD but if somebody comes kicking down my door it'll take them some time to get here, by which time there's a good chance I will be dead or seriously injured. I'd rather shoot back and have the OPD over to investigate the details.

· Super Moderator
58,810 Posts
I went back to the range yesterday, and noticed I was much less rattled by the noise and the bang. It's probably just a matter of getting used to it. I don't I'll ever really enjoy it but who knows. it's not a sport for me, it's a means of self defense, so I just want to be as good as I can be. Yes 911 is the first go to and I love my local OPD but if somebody comes kicking down my door it'll take them some time to get here, by which time there's a good chance I will be dead or seriously injured. I'd rather shoot back and have the OPD over to investigate the details.
Good reply.

· Super Moderator
58,810 Posts
221 - 240 of 1009 Posts