Glock Forum banner
201 - 220 of 1009 Posts

· Super Moderator
58,810 Posts

· Banned
160 Posts
Keep a watch on your tires the climate terrorists might slash them.

Luckily it's not an SUV, and just a somber looking AMG sedan. Most people wouldn't even know there's a 5.5L V8 bi-turbo under hood with 650 hp.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

· Registered
738 Posts
Luckily it's not an SUV, and just a somber looking AMG sedan. Most people wouldn't even know there's a 5.5L V8 bi-turbo under hood with 650 hp.

View attachment 272883
Very nice.

But since we are getting off topic, I am of the opinion that the best Mercedes Benzes were manufactured back in the 1950 to say late 1980s.

They were beautiful. They were all mechanical. They were easy to maintain and repair, and virtually indestructible. Here's the W126 I drove way back in the Netherlands. This is how she looked after a hail storm with hail pellets as big as oranges.

Before emigrating to the US, I sold it to a friend of a friend. Many years later, he sold it to a German couple.

It's still running fine these days.

Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Wheel Car

· Banned
160 Posts
Very nice.

But since we are getting off topic, I am of the opinion that the best Mercedes Benzes were manufactured back in the 1950 to say late 1980s.

They were beautiful. They were all mechanical. They were easy to maintain and repair, and virtually indestructible. Here's the W126 I drove way back in the Netherlands. This is how she looked after a hail storm with hail pellets as big as oranges.

Before emigrating to the US, I sold it to a friend of a friend. Many years later, he sold it to a German couple.

It's still running fine these days.

View attachment 272895
Oh she’s definitely a beauty! Those old school Benzes are built like tanks and they are beautiful cars. These two below have always been on my short list of cars I’d love to have.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Vehicle Car Grille Automotive parking light Hood

· Banned
995 Posts
"Will it get better over time?"
Most people improve and get more comfortable with their firearms and all the conditions of shooting, noise, recoil, etc. in proportion to the amount of time they practice. A few folks never get over being uncomfortable with or around firearms and eventually just quit shooting.
It sometimes helps to have a shooting partner to go to the range with. Especially if they're on or near the same level of experience. This gives you someone to discuss technique, results, and any concerns you might have with. Plus a little good-natured competition can be fun.
You also might want to double up on your ear protection. If you're using earmuffs try adding a set of foam ear plugs under them.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp..............

· Registered
Glock 19 Gen 5
4 Posts
As someone who is also relatively new to the forum and pistols, yes you do get used to the recoil, noise and your overall surroundings but it does take time.

I wouldn't say I'm completely comfortable at the range but I feel like that (extra) awareness does keep me from getting into bad habits.

Also agree with the good Dr, it's more fun to go with a partner.

· Registered
738 Posts
"Will it get better over time?"
Most people improve and get more comfortable with their firearms and all the conditions of shooting, noise, recoil, etc. in proportion to the amount of time they practice. A few folks never get over being uncomfortable with or around firearms and eventually just quit shooting.
It sometimes helps to have a shooting partner to go to the range with. Especially if they're on or near the same level of experience. This gives you someone to discuss technique, results, and any concerns you might have with. Plus a little good-natured competition can be fun.
You also might want to double up on your ear protection. If you're using earmuffs try adding a set of foam ear plugs under them.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp..............
Thanks ... yes, I used Axil in ear plugs doubled up with Walker Razer muffs (both electronic). Guess I need a bit more time on the range to get used to the noise.

The range officer said it takes a while to get comfortable with all the noise around on a range. The outdoor range is a bit less noisy.

· Registered
738 Posts
As someone who is also relatively new to the forum and pistols, yes you do get used to the recoil, noise and your overall surroundings but it does take time.

I wouldn't say I'm completely comfortable at the range but I feel like that (extra) awareness does keep me from getting into bad habits.

Also agree with the good Dr, it's more fun to go with a partner.
Thanks. I'm a loner by nature and like to do things by myself, so I can plan it whenever I have time, depending on my daily schedule.

I'll go back early next week, avoiding the busy weekend.

I learned a lot of things over time by being patient and persistent, and practice. As a musician I know from experience that you cannot buy an instrument and expect to be good at it after playing it a few times. You may know how the strings are tuned and basic technique, but it takes years of diligent practice to become any good.

· Premium Member
1,281 Posts
My first day at the range with my own handgun, the Glock 17. It was a great learning and training experience, from 8 am to 5 pm. This was the USCCA basic hand gun safety training, with class instruction in the morning, and several hours on the outdoor range in the afternoon.
Great range report. The Glock 17 is a great choice.

I got the Advantage Arms .22 Caliber Conversion Unit for mine so my wife and youngest daughter shoots it too.

· Registered
738 Posts
PR, what's your instrument?
Guitar, classical guitar to be more precise. That's the instrument with the nylon strings, think of Andres Segovia, John Williams (not the film composer, but the equally famous guy from Australia), Pepe Romero etc. I fell in love with it when I was in my teens and studied at the conservatory of music back in the 1980s to get a teaching degree. Figured out pretty quickly that while I was talented, I was not superstar talented, so I enrolled first in business school and then law school to have a shot at a money making career. That was all possible back in the day in the Netherlands, for not a lot of $$$ in college tuition, though it meant no partying for me ... it was always studying either music or law. But I loved it, and it got me a very good education and a great job after I graduated. Still love music and still love the classical guitar, but these days my day job is in law, and my night job is music (as a composer).

201 - 220 of 1009 Posts