Glock Forum banner
181 - 200 of 1009 Posts

· Registered
735 Posts
By the way, Richmond puts on some righteous matches, including the Golden Bullet Area 2 match.

Yeah, it's a nice range, and not too far from where I live. I am thinking of joining them as associate member. There is another range which is closer to me physically, only 15 minutes away, in San Leandro. I'll check them all out and see what it's like. I do need a lot of practice, that much is for sure.

· Legitimate Combatant
8,377 Posts
Have to admit that shooting my Glock rattled me a little bit in the beginning, despite my double ear protection (Axil GS and Walker muffs). The big bang coupled with the recoil is quite something. I am still a newbie to guns.
9mm is not much recoil and not much bang for the buck. You will need to shoot enough rounds to feel absolutely comfortable with your new firearm and fully expect what it delivers. I once took a break from shooting and it took a few hundred rounds to feel normal again.
Enjoy!!!

· Banned
67 Posts
Glad you had your first day on the range with your own pistol! What a great day, it sounds like you got some good training. Build on it whatever way you decide, I just joined a range about 16 miles from me even though I have a bermed in 50 yard range here at the house. Like Olga17 said, once you get there, shooting fast and accurately can be a somewhat perishable skill so it's good to get to the range and shoot. I found that beyond a certain point, a little competition tends to improve the shooter and sometimes get him or her to their "next level". That's a little down the road, so for now, enjoy your next day of shooting, and make it soon!

· Registered
735 Posts
9mm is not much recoil and not much bang for the buck. You will need to shoot enough rounds to feel absolutely comfortable with your new firearm and fully expect what it delivers. I once took a break from shooting and it took a few hundred rounds to feel normal again.
Enjoy!!!
Thanks!

Yeah, I plan to go back this week. I need to get this routine down until I am totally comfortable with my gun, range practices, how my ear protection works, what's the best time to visit the range, and so on.

I work out every day, whether it is running, cycling, the gym. I'm not exactly 18 anymore but I try to stay in shape. My philosophy is that it is probably the same thing with guns. Just need to get into the groove and make this a routine thing.

· Registered
735 Posts
This afternoon I went to a local range, the San Leandro Rifle and Pistol Range. This is both an indoor and outdoor range. See link below.

This range is only 15 minutes away from where I live, so it is very convenient for me. Easy parking, but if you visit this range, one tip: put ear protection in before you get out of your car, because the outdoor range is close to the parking lot with no walls or sound barriers in between them.

This was the first time alone at the range, and I was a little bit nervous and apprehensive about breaking any range rules or doing something stupid. But the range safety officer was very nice and welcoming. I explained that I was a gun newbie and he explained the rules, asked whether I wanted to use the indoor or outdoor range, and afterwards gave me tips about accuracy, dry fire practice shooting at home, etc. I chose indoor, since it has a cable thing that allows the target to be closer or farther away.

I fired 80 rounds, with the target at various distances. Hit the target most all times, although accuracy goes down when it's farther away. Well doh, suppose that is normal.

Have to admit that I am still a little nervous around firearms, and my hands were a little bit shaky handling the Glock. And the banging from my own gun and the other people on the range rattled me a little bit. Is that normal? Will it get better over time?

Thanks!

· Super Moderator
58,807 Posts
This afternoon I went to a local range, the San Leandro Rifle and Pistol Range. This is both an indoor and outdoor range. See link below.

This range is only 15 minutes away from where I live, so it is very convenient for me. Easy parking, but if you visit this range, one tip: put ear protection in before you get out of your car, because the outdoor range is close to the parking lot with no walls or sound barriers in between them.

This was the first time alone at the range, and I was a little bit nervous and apprehensive about breaking any range rules or doing something stupid. But the range safety officer was very nice and welcoming. I explained that I was a gun newbie and he explained the rules, asked whether I wanted to use the indoor or outdoor range, and afterwards gave me tips about accuracy, dry fire practice shooting at home, etc. I chose indoor, since it has a cable thing that allows the target to be closer or farther away.

I fired 80 rounds, with the target at various distances. Hit the target most all times, although accuracy goes down when it's farther away. Well doh, suppose that is normal.

Have to admit that I am still a little nervous around firearms, and my hands were a little bit shaky handling the Glock. And the banging from my own gun and the other people on the range rattled me a little bit. Is that normal? Will it get better over time?

Thanks!

I dry fire 99% of the time. The range is for recoil only and wasting my money on ammo.

· Premium Member
3,628 Posts
Flying with a weapon is a PITA, and you normally can only check a small amount of ammo. And the closest airport to Ft Bragg is Santa Rosa, with limited flights from the bay area, plus rental car.

181 - 200 of 1009 Posts