Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

· Premium Member
3,624 Posts
You do not need to use snap caps to dry fire a Glock 17
Here is a video that is worth watching when you first start to shoot.
Actually you do, otherwise there is nothing to absorb the energy from the firing pin and it will eventually blow out the breach face. I have seen this many times, especially in competition, where shooters tend to dry fire thousands of times.

As far as Leatham's video, that is still wasted on most experienced shooters, let alone brand new newbies. Get thru you basic gun safety class first, then practice simple drills to get your fundamentals (gundamentals) down: stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control. Followed by transitions and movement. Consider shooting competition next, USPSA/IDPA or Steel Challenge (SCSA). Then look at Leatham's video and you will understand.

"Learn how to jerk the trigger without moving the gun. It's that simple, it's just hard to do"

All the Grand Masters will tell you the same thing.

Cutting mat Bumper Rectangle Material property Automotive exterior

· Premium Member
3,624 Posts
New 10 round mags are hard to load, so just put 9 rounds in. When not shooting, leave them loaded and the spring will relax. 17 rounders do not have that problem.

· Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Thanks!

The CCW permit thing is interesting. The course was advertised as a course to get a CCW, but the laws in California are such that it is very difficult to get a CCW permit and I most likely don't qualify. You have to have "good cause", which is a pretty strict test. But now that the Supreme Court has declared a similar statute in New York unconstitutional, it's a bit of a grey area ...

But regardless, it's $180 for an all day course including several hours on the range, so that's a pretty good deal. Even if I don't get the CCW it'll be fun and a good learning experience.
Depends on the county you live in. Some agencies contract out training, some do not. Check with the issue agency first. Still best for speed and accuracy is competition. Contact your nearest USPSA/IDPA club and see if any of the Grand Masters/Masters hold classes, most do. Fundamentals first: stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control. Then transitions and movement.

· Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Maybe I am overthinking all of this being a gun newbie, but I'm in California and you have to be careful here.
Yes, you will have far more to worry about than a video if you get into a shooting here. Again, depends on the responding LEO, CHP, PD or Sheriffs. And what they DA says about the case and in which county it occurred.

You know CA is going to require liability insurance in the near future? Some cities already put it in place. I'm curious to know what it's going to cost.

Aside, but the gun parts law has already taken place on July 1. All gun parts have to be purchased from an FFL now.

· Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Flying with a weapon is a PITA, and you normally can only check a small amount of ammo. And the closest airport to Ft Bragg is Santa Rosa, with limited flights from the bay area, plus rental car.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts