New Glock G19 3rd Gen

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by GlockMan805, Jun 15, 2012.

1. GlockMan805

GlockMan805 New Member

Hi everyone, i am a new glock owner, finally got to pick up my new g19 yesterday after my ten day waiting period, i was messing around with it shot some rounds through it shot great. One question i have is when i load 1 single round in the magazine and the slide is locked back, then release the slide (w/slide lock release), the round doesnt seem to go into the chamber and the slide stops on the round (not enough tension in the mag spring to push it up?), like the round is blocking the slide. Is more than one round suppose to be in the mag in order for the slide to chamber the round after releasing the slide lock? Please be gentle very new to glocks/first hand gun. Thank you :)

2. glock19desertranger

glock19desertranger New Member

Hey Glockman, did you try to pull the slide back vs using the slide release? If so, did the same thing happen again? I have a g19 gen3 as well and haven't had this problem before. :confused:
    Oh and welcome to the forum! :D

3. GlockMan805

GlockMan805 New Member

no i dont think i have tried that yet, ill try that after work, maybe you/or anyone else that reads this can try it, lol load 1 single round in the mag, the slide has to be open and locked, put in the magazine and release the slide with the slide release. If its cause there isnt enough tension in the magazine spring to load the one single round then it would make sense.

4. glock19desertranger

what kind of ammo is it? Hollow points or round nose? If anything maybe there is too much tension bacuse it is a brand new magazine and its pushing the round too hard or too fast into the chamber? I'm no expert, just throwing some ideas out there.....

5. GlockMan805

GlockMan805 New Member

they are round nose, ill check it out again at home, just seemed odd, and another thing, when the slide is closed and the mag is fully loaded, i cant snap the mag into the hand gun, ppl say since its brand new u just gotta slam it in there a few times so the spring can "break in"

6. glock19desertranger

Now you have me curious, I'm going to have to go home and try loading mine with 1 round in the mag. And yeah when they're new the mags are a tight fit. Once you run some more rounds through it, it will loosen up.

7. GlockMan805

GlockMan805 New Member

sorry to make u curious, lol let me know how it goes

8. glock19desertranger

Tried loading the one round in a mag, released the slide with the lever and released it by pulling the slide back, both times it chambered a round without a problem. I'd run a couple more hundred rounds through yours and then try it again to see if that does any good. I used a hollow point Winchester round just FYI. Sorry I couldn't help you more. I wouldn't worry too much about it, could be the newness of the gun. If it happens with a full magazine that's when I would worry. Take care and have fun with your g19.

9. GlockMan805

GlockMan805 New Member

ok i tried it again when i got home with the empty magazine that was in the case and it did it again, sooooo with the full magazine that was loaded i emptied it out and left 1 single round in it, i racked the slide back and put the mag in with the single round and released the slide with the slide release and VIOLAAA it chambered the round, i tried it both ways, with the slide release and releasing it manually with my hand and it worked! so i guess both of our theories were correct, the tension from the spring needs to break in and loosen up. Thanks man!!

10. glock19desertranger

No worries man, glad I could help! Enjoy that new G19 and safe shooting!

11. Yea enjoy that new G19 excellent choice.

12. MikeMT

MikeMT New Member

Glad you got it all sorted out. You might try the same experiment on your other mag as well (if you got another mag with your purchase).

My daughters 19 had 1 sticky mag and 1 that worked fine. It took a few loads to loosen up. Both work fine now.

Welcome to the forum and have fun with that Glock. The 19 is a fantastic weapon and will serve you well.

13. Ranger45

Ranger45 Senior Member

Welcome, and congrats on that G19! Never noticed the issue you mention. I'll have to see if I can replicate it with mine.

14. wrpNYFL

wrpNYFL Premium Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum. I haven't had that problem with my G19 Gen3s. I also haven't tried loading only one round. I do two rounds often without problems.

15. GlockMan805

GlockMan805 New Member

yea it was pretty weird, so now i have both mags fully loaded so the spring can loosen up

16. Glock_Fanatic

Glock_Fanatic Member

Not to be harsh or mean but the reason gaston Glock made the slide stop flat is because it's exactly that, a slide stop. If you do any firearms training (outside the military, and I hate that they don't teach us right) they will tell you to get in the habit of releasing the slide by pulling it back rather than using the slide stop. In a real gun fight, more than likely you will lose some fine motor control in your thumbs and it will be hard to operate the slide stop while reloading. But to answer your question it should still work using the slide stop with only 1 round in the magazine.

17. Glock_Fanatic

Glock_Fanatic Member

Oh and congrats on the 19! I love both of mine and I'll never get rid of em'

18. GlockMan805

GlockMan805 New Member

thanks man, im loving it so far, already i want to buy another lol