New Glock 19

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by TxGlock65, Jul 23, 2012.

1. TxGlock65

TxGlock65 New Member

Got my new Glock today, can't wait until Friday when I can head to the range. What is this copper lube that is in the gun. Manual says to leave it there as long as possible so I assume do not clean the gun? How many rounds before you clean. Had a guy tell me today he hadnt cleaned his in 2 years...lol

2. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forum TxGlock65! You can shoot Glocks straight out of the box but we always do a quick cleaning on ours before we shoot them - but we do leave the copper lube. We field strip ours after every range trip and detail strip after 1000 rounds or so. I like a clean gun. That way I know it's ready to go but that's just me. :) Enjoy!

3. TxGlock65

TxGlock65 New Member

I have always kept my guns clean too. Do you go back with the copper lube when you do give it a good cleaning?

4. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

No. Glocks actually like to run a little dry. They need very little oil. We use a little CLP on the rails and a couple of other places. The oil points should be in the owners manual.

5. TxGlock65

TxGlock65 New Member

Thanks. Sorry for the simple questions, my first Glock.

6. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Ask away!!!!

7. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

No problem at all. We like to help everyone out here. :)

8. Two-Guns

Two-Guns New Member

Shoot about 500 rounds down the tube and then put 2 drops of oil on the barrel hood and shoot 500 more rounds. Then it is ready for a wiped down and field clean.

9. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Congrats! Where are the pics? ;)

The copper lube isn't going to hurt anything. Leave it on like the manual says.

I clean mine (wipe down) after each range trip, but that's just me.

There are some on here, that "never" clean and their weapons function fine.

D

10. iamthedood

iamthedood The dude: "This aggression will not stand, man."

Indeed ...
    [​IMG]

11. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

Congrats on your new 19!

12. TxGlock65

TxGlock65 New Member

Also forgot to mention my Glock is US made. Will try to get some pics up tonight!.

13. couger09

couger09 New Member

looking forward to it :) There is a good picture thread to add them too as well

14. Grabber GT

Grabber GT New Member

Ohio
    Great choice! I shot mine at a range and had trouble with it at first. The range marshal checked it out and said a couple drops of oil should do the trick. No trouble since! My next two Glocks were cleaned and oiled right out of the box to get rid of the copper sludge. No problems. Follow the oiling directions in the manual. They don't need much and it'll stay clean longer too. Best of luck to you!