Glock Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone:

I am a gun newbie, and this is my first handgun, a Glock 17, third generation. I also got an ammunition box, a gunsafe from Amazon, several speed loaders (the lula and Ludex), and hearing protection (Axil GS 2 and the Walker Razor). Next up are gun safety classes and range time. I dry fired the gun with snap caps for several days (and watched probably hundreds of youtube videos) to understand the basis physics, I think I am getting there. But nothing like firing live ammunition.

Cheers from sunny California,

Peter
Musical instrument accessory Luggage and bags Bumper Automotive exterior Bookcase
Rectangle Musical instrument accessory Gadget Wood Bag
Netbook Trigger Automotive exterior Bumper Gadget

·
Premium Member
7,815 Posts
Welcome to the forum, the G 17 is a great first choice.

Reactions: pr5992 and Olga17

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
You do not need to use snap caps to dry fire a Glock 17
Here is a video that is worth watching when you first start to shoot.
Actually you do, otherwise there is nothing to absorb the energy from the firing pin and it will eventually blow out the breach face. I have seen this many times, especially in competition, where shooters tend to dry fire thousands of times.

As far as Leatham's video, that is still wasted on most experienced shooters, let alone brand new newbies. Get thru you basic gun safety class first, then practice simple drills to get your fundamentals (gundamentals) down: stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control. Followed by transitions and movement. Consider shooting competition next, USPSA/IDPA or Steel Challenge (SCSA). Then look at Leatham's video and you will understand.

"Learn how to jerk the trigger without moving the gun. It's that simple, it's just hard to do"

All the Grand Masters will tell you the same thing.

Cutting mat Bumper Rectangle Material property Automotive exterior

·
Registered
202 Posts
Actually you do, otherwise there is nothing to absorb the energy from the firing pin and it will eventually blow out the breach face. I have seen this many times, especially in competition, where shooters tend to dry fire thousands of times.

As far as Leatham's video, that is still wasted on most experienced shooters, let alone brand new newbies. Get thru you basic gun safety class first, then practice simple drills to get your fundamentals (gundamentals) down: stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control. Followed by transitions and movement. Consider shooting competition next, USPSA/IDPA or Steel Challenge (SCSA). Then look at Leatham's video and you will understand.

"Learn how to jerk the trigger without moving the gun. It's that simple, it's just hard to do"

All the Grand Masters will tell you the same thing.

View attachment 271320
Actually you don't. Glock says you don't, every person I know says you don't and I've probably dry fired my Glock 19 50,000 time without a snap cap.

And this guy has never shot before and that video just helps him understand. We are not all highly experienced grand master shooters like you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually you don't. Glock says you don't, every person I know says you don't and I've probably dry fired my Glock 19 50,000 time without a snap cap.

And this guy has never shot before and that video just helps him understand. We are not all highly experienced grand master shooters like you.
Actually I did fire a Glock and took a safety class, but many years ago (10 years? can't remember). Only once though, couple of hours and then on the range. Much to my surprise I was a pretty good shot apparently, got all shots within the circle (?) even at the longer distance. Don't ask me how long that was, can't remember.

But aside from whether dry firing damages your Glock, the other thing I need to practice is getting rounds into the magazine, pull back the slide after I dry fire and see how they pop out, etc. etc. Inserting cartridges into a magazine is not easy (and the plastic thingie that came with the Glock is totally useless, or am I missing something?) but I bought two speedloaders, the maglula and the Ludex. I'm trying to figure out which works easiest, both work well. The Ludex has a rubber stop at the bottom which makes it easy to firmly plant it on a flat surface like a kitchen counter, and then quickly insert the cartridges. Doing that over and over again is also training, right?

·
Glockin’ since 1993
46,265 Posts
Actually I did fire a Glock and took a safety class, but many years ago (10 years? can't remember). Only once though, couple of hours and then on the range. Much to my surprise I was a pretty good shot apparently, got all shots within the circle (?) even at the longer distance. Don't ask me how long that was, can't remember.

But aside from whether dry firing damages your Glock, the other thing I need to practice is getting rounds into the magazine, pull back the slide after I dry fire and see how they pop out, etc. etc. Inserting cartridges into a magazine is not easy (and the plastic thingie that came with the Glock is totally useless, or am I missing something?) but I bought two speedloaders, the maglula and the Ludex. I'm trying to figure out which works easiest, both work well. The Ludex has a rubber stop at the bottom which makes it easy to firmly plant it on a flat surface like a kitchen counter, and then quickly insert the cartridges. Doing that over and over again is also training, right?
I never heard of the Ludex.
The Glock loader is ok you just need to do it right on a firm surface. I’ve got a Lula and it’s the best one I’ve found for pistols.

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
New 10 round mags are hard to load, so just put 9 rounds in. When not shooting, leave them loaded and the spring will relax. 17 rounders do not have that problem.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
New 10 round mags are hard to load, so just put 9 rounds in. When not shooting, leave them loaded and the spring will relax. 17 rounders do not have that problem.
Thanks!

I can manually load the 10 round magazine up to say 6 rounds, and then it's oof. But with the lula or the Ludex, it's easy to get all 10 rounds in.

And I am in California, so 10 round is the max for me. Should be enough to stop the bad guys. I hope.

·
Glock G17, G26, G22, G27, and Remington 870 tac 14 20 gauge.
800 Posts
Hey everyone:

I am a gun newbie, and this is my first handgun, a Glock 17, third generation. I also got an ammunition box, a gunsafe from Amazon, several speed loaders (the lula and Ludex), and hearing protection (Axil GS 2 and the Walker Razor). Next up are gun safety classes and range time. I dry fired the gun with snap caps for several days (and watched probably hundreds of youtube videos) to understand the basis physics, I think I am getting there. But nothing like firing live ammunition.

Cheers from sunny California,

Peter View attachment 271308 View attachment 271309 View attachment 271310
That's basically how I store my self defense ammo. I use an old paintball ammo can.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts