New Glock 17 owner

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Definitions, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Definitions

Definitions New Member

Hi guys I'm a new g17 owner from California. I came here to find out if I should clean my glock. I shot it yesterday for the first time went through 150 rounds. I'm gonna shoot next weekend also. I didn't do the break in clean at all. I just bought it and went and shot it. Oh one more question The gold lubrication on the slide I know you are not supposed to clean that off. Do I just apply oil over the gold lubrication or just leave that until I shoot it out?

2. teksid

teksid Well-Known Member

I cleaned and lubed my Gen 4 G17 before I shot it.Not because I felt I needed to but it's fun the first time,kinda like mowing the lawn for the first time each spring.
    I then put 750 rounds through it before I cleaned it the second time. I'd bet you don't have any issues not cleaning it,but if it was me I'd wanna get the copper grease out,clean it and lube it to my specifications.

3. Definitions

Definitions New Member

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the Glock Forum Definitions !!

The grease was put there by the manufacturer for a reason...

That being said, alot of members here are split...some say leave it there

until it works in...others get rid of it. I already let mine work itself in...

Your call...!!

5. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

Welcome to the Glock Forum!

6. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Hello, Definitions, and WELCOME to the Forum!

About your question, Shooter hit the nail on the head for ya!

Welcome, and enjoy yourself!

7. Welcome to the forum!

When I bought my glock 21 I wanted to see if it was going to live up to the hype, so I did not clean it before I shot it. I have a little over 500 rounds put threw it so far with no problems. Going to wait till I pass 1000 rounds threw it before I clean it for the first time. More then likely I will leave the gold factory lube on there.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. ;)