New Glock 17 Gen 2

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by rogro, Apr 21, 2012.

1. I have a brand new G17 gen 2 model that I bought from my neighbor. It has only had 5 rounds shot through it before I got it. I have been shooting some 9X19 NATO ammo that I got and they jam about 1 in 25. I've shot about 150 rounds through it so far. Could this be because it is still new and not broken in???
    thanks ron:eek:

2. chadsaalfrank

chadsaalfrank New Member

In my experience a glock does not need "broke in". Every glock I own has shot flawlessly out of the box. I have been lucky. JMO tho

3. chilly613

chilly613 New Member

With a gun that old did you check to see if it's cleaned and has some lubrication?

4. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

Welcome to the forum!!! Ive never heard of Glocks needing breaking in, I have a Gen 3 17 and I didn't seem to have that problem.

What kind of ammo have you been shooting, have you tried switching it up? Where the mags stored with ammo in them for long periods of time?

5. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

I bought my first Glock in 1988 from a friend who had a problem with it stove piping. I had NO interest in owning a Glock and I talked to him and told him it could be the ammo or it could be he was limp wristing it and if he wanted me to I would take him out and see what he was doing and we would make sure he was shooting Good ammo. He was dead set on getting rid of it and so he made me an offer I couldn't refuse and I was the proud owner of a Glock that I had intended to use for trading material not for owning. Now I have NO idea if it was the gun, the ammo or him because I worked the action hundreds of times over the week and at night I would leave it locked open. It never jammed on me then or since! It became my carry gun until Glock came out with the 21 and it became my carry gun until Glock came out with the 30 and that is my EDC ever since! So to be honest I have heard of the older ones having to be broken in but I have never had that problem. But try leaving the slide locked back for a day or so and then take it out with Good Ammo and see if it happens again! You might be surprised ;)

6. I found the problem, yesterday after shooting it again. When I got the pistol, there were 2 after-market mags with it. I isolated the problem to the cheaper mags and both of them were causing the stovepipes. The two Glock mags work flawlessly with no problems. I may try to rework the after-market mags when i have some time,, but at least I know the factory mags work great. thanks for the posts and the help.
    ron

7. I had problems with the aftermarket mags I had bought for my G17 Gen1. Got a deal at the gunshow for 3 of them back along time ago they never have worked right only used them a couple of times.
    I only use factory mags for all my Glocks now.

The 3 aftermarkey mags have been gathering dust for atleast 20 years now, never have gotten rid of them but I will never ever use them.

8. chilly613

chilly613 New Member

Should try the aftermarket mags with Glock internals... Spring, follower and base plates. Really cheap to buy. That way you don't need to buy more factory mags and spend less.

9. strazz

strazz New Member

I have a gen 3 17 and I feel like its gotten better each time at the range

10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the Glock Forum rogro !!

Glad you isolated the problem...

11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the Glock Forum strazz !!

12. chadsaalfrank

chadsaalfrank New Member

Or maybe your just getting better and more comfortable each time? The gun is shooting the same.

13. Thanks for all the reply's. I can see this is a great forum.:)