New G30SF Shoots Low

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by officerX, Jun 18, 2012.

1. officerX

officerX Well-Known Member Supporter

Finally got to shoot my new G30SF yesterday only to find that it shoots about 2 inches low from 7 yards. Is there anything I can do about this?

2. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

The only thing that I can think of is that the front sight isn't fully seated, or drawn down. Which would be really odd on a brand new gun. But you might drop the slide & check it for full tightness. Something screwy going on. Perhaps someone else has an idea. I'm stumped.

3. bmg30

bmg30 New Member

I've had mine about 6months & it was exactly the same. I thought it was me for a long time. I just put new sights on & haven't been able to test it yet but I'm hoping it's better.

4. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Try aligning the sights to the inside of the (center of) the target and not at the bottom as shown in many pictures.
    Or, align the bottom of the white dot on the front sight, to the bottom of the cut out on the rear sight.

5. Oddball Gunner

Oddball Gunner New Member

What ammo are you using? Do you know your ammo's ballistics?

I run American Eagle 230gr FMJ through my 30SF for training and matches. It has the same ballistics as my self defense load, the Federal HST, so I know my training and shots will be the same. According to Federal's website, the ammo is zeroed for 25 yards. Their ballistics chart shows the round should hit 1 inch low at 7 yards, cross line of sight around 13 yards and again at 25 yards. Between 13 and 25 yards, it'll hit high. At 50 yards, it'll be 2 inches low.

I also found that I had to hold the front sight higher (basically raise it so the dot was bisected by the top of the rear sight) when using the standard 6.9mm rear sight. I switched the rear sight out for the 7.3mm and am able to have a proper (top edges of rear and front aligned) sight picture and be more consistent with my shot placement.

Are you hitting consistently low in the 6 o'clock region or is it also left or right of center? Perhaps it's a touch of trigger control problems? Here's a chart you can use that might help as well:

Do some experimenting and let us know how it turns out for you. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  6. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

Glad you posted this shot chart. It is much more accurate than the other one that is posted most of the time. It also reminded me of one of the main problems when people are shooting low is they drop their head down to the gun instead of bringing the gun up to the head. Revolvers (especially Round Butt Revolvers) do this also.