New Federal Guard Dog Ammo

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by gen4fde, May 28, 2012.

1. gen4fde

gen4fde New Member

Have seen this new ammo in a couple magazines but not in my local gun stores here in north Florida. Anyone have any experience with this ammo yet?

image-4163944575.jpg

2. Shoots nice, like most Federal

3. Based on this, I wouldn't touch it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA7f69skz9g[/ame]

4. Redhairdontcare

Redhairdontcare New Member

5. Did you watch the video? :confused:

6. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

I did, the penetration results are pretty poor, I would imagine the low grain wt/mass just loses to much energy. I wonder if they have a vid on .45 acp? I looked but didn't see one.

7. Redhairdontcare

Redhairdontcare New Member

Yea is it because of the lack of penetration ? I'm not trying to be rude I just don't know much about ammo and I'm learning from the forum

8. Blades

Blades Senior Member

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  9. wow that is pretty poor. I sailed some at a few paper targets trying it out. My friend uses it EDC, i should show him this.

10. Lugwrench

Lugwrench New Member

I think it is intended for locales that don't allow hollow points

11. Blades

Blades Senior Member

Or a gun that doesn't feed hollow points; or those concerned with over penetration.

12. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

This ammo is intended for "Home Defense" it's designed to help with over penetration. It is designed to not blow through walls and hit someone else in the other room.

I WOULD NOT use this as carry ammo but WOULD use it for home defense in where I had kids in the house and don't want a round to over penetrated and Danger someone in the other room.

13. Well as the vid shows, it went through 2 layers of sheetrock and still penetrated the ballistic gel block. So.....

14. EDC?? Ouch!!!!! Ya, you need to show him that vid.

15. Yea sometimes i think he buys things based on the box or colors.

16. glocknloaded

It's not gonna stop once hitting Sheetrock but prevent through and throughs.

I just think it was designed to not penetrate has much as a standard defense round

17. I agree but according to the test posted, IMO they dont penetrate enough or inflict enough damage on intended target.

18. glocknloaded

I don't think I would use it.

Thanks to the original poster for putting up the video, very informative.

19. glocknloaded

Here's what federal has to say-

"A step beyond traditional home-defense hollow points. The polymer-filled, FMJ-style bullets will not plug with barrier material, enabling them to deliver reliable, devastating expansion and minimal penetration through interior walls."

20. Glockmaster

Glockmaster New Member

Thanks for the video MikeP. I think I'll pass as well.