New Ar15 swelling brass and bending to one side.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by sigpi11, Mar 29, 2012.

1. sigpi11

sigpi11 New Member

Let first start off by saying not a bit familiar with ARs.

My buddy just picked up his new AR. We went to shoot it and was picking brass up to reload when we noticed brass was split. We checked more and all was bulging near the head. It also bulged to one side causing the brass to be bent to one side.

My question is anyone have this issue or no what might be causing this?

2. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Chamber is out of spec?

Barrel extension nut was not installed properly?

Incorrect headspace?

Photos would help....

3. sigpi11

sigpi11 New Member

I am trying to get pics from him now. I failed to mention every brass had a small nick in it. The nick is in the same place on each brass. As soon as I get pics I'll post. The gun was built by a guy who builds guns for a lot of local and county LE.

4. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Yes, please post them.

It'll be hard to give advice unless we can see what the damage looks like.

Now, you say every single case is this way?

(While waiting for the pics, can you please describe in detail the AR15?)

5. sigpi11

sigpi11 New Member

image-4023352981.jpg

image-1067159895.jpg

image-1737722637.jpg

image-4103056522.jpg

image-936954698.jpg

image-301402692.jpg

image-3889450672.jpg

image-1443762040.jpg

Every brass looks this way. We shot wolf and Remington and some other bulk ammo. All came out the same with the swell to one side, the nick in the brass and the rim looking stretched more on one side. Hope with these pics you can help my buddy out. Still waiting on the guy who built it get back to us. He is out of town doing some SRT training.

Attached Files:

6. Tape

Tape New Member

not as bad as you made it sound, looks like the chamber is not fully supported and using hot loads.

7. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

@Tape:

AR15 chambers are fully enclosed, and therefore fully supported. Any in-chamber bulging like is shown in the photos is not only as bad as he described, it is downright dangerous (given the assumptions that it is a brand new rifle with no gas feed issues, and the ammo being fired is within specifications for the chambering, meaning he is using .223Remington ammo in a .223Rem or 5.56mm NATO chamber, and not using 5.56mm NATO ammo in a .223 chamber).

8. Tape

Tape New Member

nope, not all are fully supported but all semi-autos are fully enclosed. I bet from the case his rifle is not fully supported, if it is a .223 you can take that to the bank but most 5.56 will be fully supported because of the higher pressures, like my colt ar A3

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  9. Tape

Tape New Member

IMO it is not "unsafe" I have seen wayyyy worse and the shooter kept shooting and shooting and this was out of a 309 and you know how powerful they are. The cases were ripped from top to the base and the shooter said "it alway does that" like it was normal, all I could do was roflmao

10. Tape

Tape New Member

"IF" it is fully supported then he does have a problem, it is a simple way to check if it is fully supported, it should only take the op 10 seconds to check it.

11. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Deleting my previous post, if Tape says this condition is OK.

12. Tape

Tape New Member

if the op's rifle chamber is not fully supported then the ammo must be hotter then standard ammo, you should use standard ammo and it shouldn't bulge out, If it is fully supported then there is a problem.

13. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Not sure if these would be hot loads.

14. Tape

Tape New Member

here is an example, the right one is obviously not fully supported. [​IMG]

15. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

For the OPs benefit, could you post similar pics showing supported and not fully supported AR-15 chambers?

16. Tape

Tape New Member

Hs, it would be hard to get a picture because of the position, if he can rack his slide and lock it then install a cartridge in the chamber and compare to the picture I posted with a flashlight it would be alot easier.

I will see if I can find a picture of the .223/5.56

17. sigpi11

sigpi11 New Member

The loads where all factory loads. I'm going to rack back and drop cartridge in and check for support.

Thanks for all the support. My buddy is taking back tomorrow and the guy is going to check it out and replace upper.