Never reloaded before

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by jebarlow, Jun 10, 2012.

1. jebarlow

jebarlow New Member

I have done the due diligence and read the watched the books and videos. What I do not know is which machine to start with. I want to reload one at a time I am doing this as a project to enjoy for myself and not as a service to others. I shoot only once a week and have the rest of the week to get ready, so again My question is, which machine would be a good machine to reload 45 cal. ACP amuuition?

2. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

I still use RCBS equipment from the 70's. Just a one at a time press, set up for .45 ACP, and .44 Special/.44 Mag. I don't think it will ever wear out.

3. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

I have been reloading for over 10 years, and still use the original RCBS RockChucker Supreme single-stage reloading press I bought when I bought my first handgun. It does the job reliably, with a lifetime no-questions-asked warranty from RCBS, and I cannot justify the expense of a progressive press.

My $0.02 cents.

Cheers!

4. jebarlow

jebarlow New Member

Well that's two for two, RCBS single-stage, Thank you.:)

5. zipper046

zipper046 Member Supporter

When i started reloading 6 yrs ago i did the same research. Went with a Dillon 550. Loaded 10's of thousands of rounds...no issues. A little maintenance here and there and good to go. Plus their customer service and warranties are GREAT! Highly suggest Dillon...a little more expensive but worth it in the long run...

6. bassace

bassace New Member

I have a RCBS from the mid eighties I still use. I also use a Lee hand press a lot when I load pistol ammo.

7. Captain

Captain New Member

IL
    Keep in mind that once you start reloading you will in all probability start shooting more.

I personally think that A lee Turret is a great press. Especially for someone new to reloading. It is inexpensive, easy to set up and relatively fast (100 rounds 35-40 minutes). If you decide on a Lee Turret be sure to get the upgraded "Pro" Auto Disk Powder Measure. It's only a few bucks more. The standard powder measure tends to leak fine grained powder a little but the Pro powder measure is designed a little differently and eliminates and powder leakage.

8. I agree with the Captain..I have had a turret press since '89 and have reloaded more than I care to remember...Loading for multiple calibers is a breeze...just have a separate turret for each...saves set up time...

Good Luck and Have Fun while you are saving money!

9. bluzy788

bluzy788 New Member

I use a RCBS Rockchucker. One cartridge at a time. Thousands under my belt. I find I reload to get away for a few hours. I'm in no hurry and have had no trouble with my green monster. It's kind of theraputic, or, as a non-shooter friend said, "I understand why you do it. It's repetitive motions with mechanical devices." Exactly.

10. BLK RIFLE

BLK RIFLE New Member

MS
    I'll go with captain. I've loaded for a lot of years and had had no problems with Lee. In fact I just bought and set up a Lee Loadmaster and it works. great.