Glock Firearms banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Low speed High drag
2,250 Posts
I'm pretty sure that was it. I think it was called something else though and it looked a bit different. It's been some years since I had it so I'm sure they changed a bit. I also had the dangerous game ammo that they sell. Both worked fine....atleast on the deadly tree I eventually unloaded them into.

·
Low speed High drag
2,250 Posts
I had a g21 then built a 10mm upper for it and loved it. Then I decided to do a Rowland 460 conversion to it and use the 460 rounds for bear. I have never shot a bear so can't say much on actual real life stopping power. Now I've taken a few deer with a 10mm and it did the job very effectively.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
If I was going to mix rounds for bear defense. I’d maybe consider the Underwood 220gr linked above, & maybe these.

I thought I saw mixed ammo in one magazine brought up a few posts ago.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
I had a g21 then built a 10mm upper for it and loved it. Then I decided to do a Rowland 460 conversion to it and use the 460 rounds for bear. I have never shot a bear so can't say much on actual real life stopping power. Now I've taken a few deer with a 10mm and it did the job very effectively.
I had to shoot an Elk with my G20. Double tapped & it was over. I had just hit it with my H2 going probably 35 mph…fwiw, lol!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Appreciate all the info folks this was super helpful. I called Underwood today and their customer service was top notch. They also confirmed I’ll be good to go with the glock g40 10mm and their hard cast bullets. They also let me know their .45acp hard cast bullets would work great in my smith and Wesson shield so I’ll be ordering some for that gun as well for the time being

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
Appreciate all the info folks this was super helpful. I called Underwood today and their customer service was top notch. They also confirmed I’ll be good to go with the glock g40 10mm and their hard cast bullets. They also let me know their .45acp hard cast bullets would work great in my smith and Wesson shield so I’ll be ordering some for that gun as well for the time being
Underwood’s customer service is part of the reason I buy a lot of their ammo.

·
Registered
696 Posts
If you mean a G40 in 10 MM then hard cast Underwood. If you mean a Glock in 40 cal, then hard cast Underwood.
Lots of well intended advice here. The thing is can you handle and shoot 300+ grain ammo at 1400 fps velocity. That is a handful for anyone.
I've seen first hand what the .40 Underwood 200 grain hard cast does to a charging sow (pig) that weighed in a shade over 300 pounds. I'll also tell you it took near a full mag to put her down. Fotunately there was that sort of time, and the young uns she was so irritated about were plenty big enough to fend for themselves. BTW, every round entered and exited. the fourth to the brain pan finally shut her down. All were lethal hits, but adrenaline and pure rage is a hell of a drug.

·
Registered
Fox Pepper Spray and....................
617 Posts
Huh thats a different kind of bear "pissed odd lack bear. " 😁 but any bear pissed off I think I want a 10mm

Reactions: Lucian_253

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
If you mean a G40 in 10 MM then hard cast Underwood. If you mean a Glock in 40 cal, then hard cast Underwood.
Lots of well intended advice here. The thing is can you handle and shoot 300+ grain ammo at 1400 fps velocity. That is a handful for anyone.
I've seen first hand what the .40 Underwood 200 grain hard cast does to a charging sow (pig) that weighed in a shade over 300 pounds. I'll also tell you it took near a full mag to put her down. Fotunately there was that sort of time, and the young uns she was so irritated about were plenty big enough to fend for themselves. BTW, every round entered and exited. the fourth to the brain pan finally shut her down. All were lethal hits, but adrenaline and pure rage is a hell of a drug.
Just like anything. A fatal shot can take a while to take effect. Any pistol should be a last ditch effort to save your life…maybe against a large charging animal. This thread is just about how to get the most out of that last ditch effort, imho!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Just like anything. A fatal shot can take a while to take effect. Any pistol should be a last ditch effort to save your life…maybe against a large charging animal. This thread is just about how to get the most out of that last ditch effort, imho!
Yep, we knew there were plenty of pigs there, just not "right there". The bullets did exactly what one should expect of a hard cast, and never stop shooting until the threat is no longer a threat.
That moment was when my friend and I decided to never be on that property again without a rifle. Even then, I'm convinced the events may have been very similar.

·
Low speed High drag
2,250 Posts
Where can you find 10mm in 300+grain at 1400fps? I've only found 200-220 grain and lower. On a charging bear you're probably only gonna get 1-2 shots,maybe more if you're lucky. So I'd say that someone who isn't new to firearms could handle atleast a few shots with 10mm 220grain.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
Where can you find 10mm in 300+grain at 1400fps? I've only found 200-220 grain and lower. On a charging bear you're probably only gonna get 1-2 shots,maybe more if you're lucky. So I'd say that someone who isn't new to firearms could handle atleast a few shots with 10mm 220grain.
I think he was referring to the post about 300gr + .44 mag. The link with the Ruger Alaskan.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Yep, we knew there were plenty of pigs there, just not "right there". The bullets did exactly what one should expect of a hard cast, and never stop shooting until the threat is no longer a threat.
That moment was when my friend and I decided to never be on that property again without a rifle. Even then, I'm convinced the events may have been very similar.
It’s a catch 22. A rifle would be a bit more “difficult” to swing around and aim at the pig.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I don't 10 MM, but, yea I was referring to the above pic of the BB 340 44Mag. .42 cal?
No matter, after full penetration is achieved, anything above that is just troublesome for the loose nut pulling the trigger. I have a 454 Casull that I don't shoot any more thanks to issues, but it would have been a poor choice, all things equal. 6 shot, vs 15 shot, and much slower on the trigger. No matter what you may think of your PC choice, it is still a PC and only pokes holes by direct contact. In this case, any of the above would make the same or so close to the same hole, not much difference.
It’s a catch 22. A rifle would be a bit more “difficult” to swing around and aim at the pig.
Kind of, and it depends. I've always been handy with a rifle. Former life ingrained that. I'll take 26 rounds of 6.5 Grendel in a fast handling unit any day of the week, all things considered. I'll take 30 5.56 all day long as well for that size game.

While we are at it, apples to oranges, still comparing a like sized animal, with heavy bone, and thick hide. A 300 Black bear is a beast in most places and usually only get that big in coastal forest regions, from my understanding. The likelihood of either coming at you is low, but the bear is lower. Either with little ones and all bets are off.

Reactions: j102 and Lucian_253
21 - 40 of 42 Posts