Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright folks I’m brand new to the forum and after a couple hours of researching bear defense ammo I have a headache so I wanted to post here to get an easier answer. I hunt here in NC and we only have black bears where I hunt and they don’t get all that big. I want a good reliable handgun for black bear and I was thinking a glock 40 (have not made a purchase yet as I’ve still been researching) and the bear defense ammo conversation seems to be quite complex.

I’m simply wondering if I got a glock 40, what bear ammo for NC black bear should I get that I can shoot out of the box with a glock 40 (read some loads require different springs) and with ammo that doesn’t cause issues with lead. My plan is to only use the gun for bear defense when I’m hunting.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
39,431 Posts
Welcome aboard from North Texas. I’m not sure that I’d trust my life to a .40 against a pissed odd lack bear. 10mm on the other hand…

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Welcome aboard from North Texas. I’m not sure that I’d trust my life to a .40 against a pissed odd lack bear. 10mm on the other hand…
I took his post as asking about a recommended load for a G 40 in 10mm although I could be wrong,I knew when Glock announced the model 40 in 10mm was going to result in this confusion.

Reactions: j102 and Danzig

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
Alright folks I’m brand new to the forum and after a couple hours of researching bear defense ammo I have a headache so I wanted to post here to get an easier answer. I hunt here in NC and we only have black bears where I hunt and they don’t get all that big. I want a good reliable handgun for black bear and I was thinking a glock 40 (have not made a purchase yet as I’ve still been researching) and the bear defense ammo conversation seems to be quite complex.

I’m simply wondering if I got a glock 40, what bear ammo for NC black bear should I get that I can shoot out of the box with a glock 40 (read some loads require different springs) and with ammo that doesn’t cause issues with lead. My plan is to only use the gun for bear defense when I’m hunting.
Underwood 220gr hard cast. They have a coating on them that makes them okay to shoot through Glocks.

IMG_1626760063.392999.jpg

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Underwood 220gr hard cast. They have a coating on them that makes them okay to shoot through Glocks.

View attachment 252757

That would be my choice, hard cast lead, for myself coated or not as I'm one of those heathens that shoot bare lead in Gastons OEM rifling and has for over thirty years and gun and heathen remain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

View attachment 252757

My apologies to everyone I should have clarified, I am referring to the glock g40 10mm.

As for the underwood ammo, these did pop up a lot in quite a bit of the searches I did. From what I read, the vast majority of people were totally comfortable putting those loads through their glock g40 or 20 in 10mm. Would this be the only type of ammo you'd use that is lead for your glock? I know a lot of people mentioned buffalo bore on different forums but a lot of people also warned against using them in a glock since they weren't coated like you mentioned.

I guess my question is, is the underwood ammo my only option or safest option? The only other question I had was testing of this ammo. I read that its wise to obviously test the ammo, making sure everything shoots and loads as wanted but also taking extra care of the pistol to clean it after each range session using the underwood hard cast ammo just to be safe. Some folks even said shooting rounds of hard cast first and then a couple rounds of FMJ at the end before cleaning.

·
Low speed High drag
2,224 Posts
Buffalo Bore or Underwood is fine coated or uncoated. I've shot both and never had 1 issue in my glocks. I currently carry a 1911 10mm in the woods in N. Georgia and on my property for bear as we have a bunch that like to visit the lake in my backyard. I got some Hornaday hunting rounds loaded up just in case a bear decides to get to close (not my 1st choice) ,but I'm confident it will get the job done.I also got some rubber shotgun rounds to scare them off the property if they try and get over my fence. So far they've been good bears and stay to themselves.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Buffalo Bore or Underwood is fine coated or uncoated. I've shot both and never had 1 issue in my glocks. I currently carry a 1911 10mm in the woods in N. Georgia and on my property for bear as we have a bunch that like to visit the lake in my backyard. I got some Hornaday hunting rounds loaded up just in case a bear decides to get to close (not my 1st choice) ,but I'm confident it will get the job done.I also got some rubber shotgun rounds to scare them off the property if they try and get over my fence. So far they've been good bears and stay to themselves.
The buffalo bore seems to have ammo in stock pretty consistently but I did read a lot of people saying they wouldn't use buffalo bores ammo in their glock g40 10mm from lead fouling but couldn't get enough information on it to make a proper decision. I've had a lot of run ins with black bears when I used to hunt near the coast of NC in hyde county and they always just went the other way. I was 16-18 years old at the time and really couldn't have cared less about bears, now I laugh at how stupid I was lol. I used to go out and hunt with 2 PB&J sandwiches in my pack and wondered why I had bears at the base of my stand or more encounters than anyone else. It wasn't until a couple years back when I was walking out of the woods with just a phone flash light and had a momma bear and 2 cubs walk out 5 yards in front of me on the trail out when I realized I should probably be more prepared hahaha

·
Low speed High drag
2,224 Posts
If you're just using the ammo for self defense then the lead won't build up. Years ago I had alot of Buffalo Bore hard cast 10mm rounds and decided they all needed to be shot at a tree. I shot atleast 200 rounds out of my glock 21 with 10mm upper and had 0 issues. You'll be fine with Buffalo Bore if that's what you choose.

·
Low speed High drag
2,224 Posts
I got 1 huge black bear that's always around and if I didn't like bears and ate bear I'd take him when the season opens up. I've seen alot of black bears and he is by far the biggest I've ever seen. The dogs also seem to keep the bears at a distance with their barking.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
10mm should do it. But, you would still need to hit the bear coming at you.
I carry a gun and rifle while hunting for the same reasons, but I was told that the best bear defense is bear spray.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
39,431 Posts
My apologies to everyone I should have clarified, I am referring to the glock g40 10mm.

As for the underwood ammo, these did pop up a lot in quite a bit of the searches I did. From what I read, the vast majority of people were totally comfortable putting those loads through their glock g40 or 20 in 10mm. Would this be the only type of ammo you'd use that is lead for your glock? I know a lot of people mentioned buffalo bore on different forums but a lot of people also warned against using them in a glock since they weren't coated like you mentioned.

I guess my question is, is the underwood ammo my only option or safest option? The only other question I had was testing of this ammo. I read that its wise to obviously test the ammo, making sure everything shoots and loads as wanted but also taking extra care of the pistol to clean it after each range session using the underwood hard cast ammo just to be safe. Some folks even said shooting rounds of hard cast first and then a couple rounds of FMJ at the end before cleaning.
Leading is usually only an issue if the lead is not sufficiently hardened. I believe hard cast is hardened and won’t lead your barrel.
I leaded a barrel a long time ago using pure lead reloads. Looked like silver bubble gum all inside. Not good. Learned from that experience. That was before the internet and not having any gun knowledge I was lucky.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
The whole no lead from a Glock is over blown to start with,98% of the ammunition shot out of my Glocks,9mm,40 S&W and 45 ACP are grease groove and more recently coated lead alloy bullets.I load 10 mm but all of the arms it is used in are revolvers

If one matches the lead alloy to the pressure of the round lead build up is nil to non existent and this is the key to not leading any bore,I have been using lead bullets from OEM barrels for over thirty years and not problem one with the barrel or arm.

I am a bandloader and caster, the only ammunition I don't load for is 22 rimfire and ammunition for self defense use everything else I produce for myself. A year back I stated polycoating or better yet HiTec coating, less time consuming and less messy than grease grove lubing.

Anything that Buffalo Bore or Underwood is loading is fine to shoot from your Glock 10 mm and would be my choice for your intended use.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you're just using the ammo for self defense then the lead won't build up. Years ago I had alot of Buffalo Bore hard cast 10mm rounds and decided they all needed to be shot at a tree. I shot atleast 200 rounds out of my glock 21 with 10mm upper and had 0 issues. You'll be fine with Buffalo Bore if that's what you choose.
Is this the buffalo bore ammo you were using out of your 10mm? HEAVY 10MM OUTDOORSMAN Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

1 - 20 of 31 Posts