Need Help Can't Remove Slide

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by JPochron, Mar 24, 2012.

1. JPochron

JPochron New Member

Hope someone can offer some expertise on removing a slide off a Glock 23 Gen4 with the trigger remaing in the cocked position. I installed Lone Wolfs Carry package kit which includes the 3.5# trigger connector and the NY trigger spring. As I mentioned in another thread the trigger stays in the same position even after pulling it. I've tried to remove the slide but since the trigger is in this position I can't get it off. Any suggestions in removing it and correcting this problem would be greatly appreciated. I'm certain I assembled everything correctly so I'm at a lost as to what could be causing this issue.

Thanks,

Joe

2. NvRBanArms

NvRBanArms Member

Try wrapping tape around the trigger to hold it back then do the strip.

3. NvRBanArms

NvRBanArms Member

That's just to get it off for now. But I never messed with the trigger spring on my guns or trigger kits. So I really don't know. Just trying to help.

4. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Can the slide be returned to battery, or is it frozen solid?

I am not familiar with the Lone Wolf connector installation, but found this note on another website:

As well as this note:

Now, I do not know how similar or how different the Ghost connector is, but read the info below on installation, as it (the Ghost part) is not a drop-in installation:
    http://www.ghostinc.com/c=Vaudp69Jlm1HP9cGrWDTh1x8t/category/istallationinstructions/

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Good luck to you, and please let us know what happens!

5. rivalarrival

rivalarrival Are we there yet?

Pulling the trigger normally, the sear pulls back on the striker. At the end of the travel, the sear is pulled downward by the connector, releasing the striker to move forward of the sear. If the striker is behind the sear when you release the slide, the striker grabs the sear, preventing the slide from releasing. This is why you have to pull the trigger. This is why it it sucks to be you if you can't get the sear to drop down so the striker can move in front of it. This seems to be what's happening.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could just pull the striker out of the back of the gun, so the rest of the slide could just fall forward?

Ever detail strip the slide?

Lock the slide back, and you can depress the striker sleeve with a punch/pen/q-tip/toothpick or a Glock Disassembly Tool if you want to be all boring about it. Remove the back plate, remove the striker itself. With the striker removed, you should be able to release the slide, pull the takedown lever, and drop the slide off the front. I just did this with my Gen 3 G26. Removed the slide from my glock for the very first time without having to pull the trigger first. :)

Let us know how it goes!

Photos to come, as soon as my phone starts playing nice...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  6. rivalarrival

rivalarrival Are we there yet?

Photos pretty much say it all - if you've detail stripped your slide before, you'll understand them.

Attached Files:

7. JPochron

JPochron New Member

The slide moves as it is supposed to. No problem in racking it just can't get it off.

Joe

8. JPochron

JPochron New Member

Thanks very much for your detailed instruction. I will try your method and let you know how it goes. Very informative.

Thanks

Joe

9. JPochron

JPochron New Member

Thanks to everyone that responded. I will update once I get it operational again.

Joe

10. voyager4520

voyager4520 New Member

11. JPochron

JPochron New Member

Omg I have a difficult enough time field stripping as it is with arthritis in my hands and that will be even tougher to remove the slide. However I will find a way to get er done. Thanks for the info.

Joe

12. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Just don't get so frustrated with it that you start thinking about a hammer and a pry-bar :D

13. voyager4520

voyager4520 New Member

If you have a vice, you could put a pen that you don't mind crushing into the vice and tighten it, then field strip while pushing the trigger against the pen to keep the trigger to the rear.

14. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Moved to the correct sub forum: Gunsmithing

15. JPochron

JPochron New Member

Lol I ASSure you that's not going to happen.

Joe

16. JPochron

JPochron New Member

Eureka I can't thank you all enough. I got it off by removing the back plate. Y'all have been a great deal of help and I learn more and more about taking a Glock apart than I can possibly imagine. I have a titanium Firing Pin Safety I think it's called in place and after I removed the slide it fell out on its own. Could that have been part of my problem? Isn't that item supposed to be locked into place?

Thanks

Joe

17. JPochron

JPochron New Member

Thank you for your advice, it worked. Your information was extremely helpful. Was able to disassemble easily with your method. I don't think the problem is with the sear. I think it is the NY trigger spring that installed which keeps the trigger in the ready position. I suppose icing reinstalled the stock spring this would prove my theory.

Joe

18. JPochron

JPochron New Member

I tried as you suggested and for me utterly impossible to remove the slide with that method. Had to remove the back cover to disassemble the slide. But thanks for your advice.

Joe

19. JPochron

JPochron New Member

Where do you find the gunsmithing section? Sorry I didn't see it.

Thanks,

Joe

20. JPochron

JPochron New Member

Found it on my iPad but not the iPhone. Surprisingly the formats are a tad bit different.

Joe