Glock Firearms banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a WV resident and I have to attend to some business in GA for a couple of days and I am wondering if I am allowed to carry my handgun in my car and if so, where in the vehicle is accepted and can it be loaded? Thanks in advance.

p.s.
I have read that you can carry it in the vehicle loaded showing or in glove compartment but not sure if I understood it correctly.

·
22 Posts
I am a WV resident and I have to attend to some business in GA for a couple of days and I am wondering if I am allowed to carry my handgun in my car and if so, where in the vehicle is accepted and can it be loaded? Thanks in advance.

p.s.
I have read that you can carry it in the vehicle loaded showing or in glove compartment but not sure if I understood it correctly.

on this matter it would be best to read...for yourself...the most current laws on a wv gov web site...also...youll need to verify if ga honors your ccw permit/lic....word of mouth could be wrong and could cause jail time...better safe than sorry

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm not GA leo, but I can google the hell out of some stuff... Usacarry.com has a map that shows you if your resident state has reciprocity with another. GA does not with WV and is not open carry unless you have a license they recognize. In your vehicle it has to be in a closeable compartment such as glove box or center console only. If you get a license they recognize (i.e. Pa) you can carry concealed on your person, open carry, or however you want in your vehicle. It's advisable to contact GA's Attorney Generals office with a simple phone call to verify this for your own assurance, as I'm not legal counsel. Here is my source for this information:
http://www.usacarry.com/georgia_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

·
Registered
555 Posts
Straight from the books:

RV/Car Carry Without A Permit/License
§ 16-11-126. Possession and Carrying a Concealed Weapon; Penalty for Violating Licensing Requirement
(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.
(b) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a long gun without a valid weapons carry license, provided that if the long gun is loaded, it shall only be carried in an open and fully exposed manner.
(c) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry any handgun provided that it is enclosed in a case and unloaded.
(d) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun who is eligible for a weapons carry license may transport a handgun or long gun in any private passenger motor vehicle; provided, however, that private property owners or persons in legal control of property through a lease, rental agreement, licensing agreement, contract, or any other agreement to control access to such property shall have the right to forbid possession of a weapon or long gun on their property, except as provided in Code Section 16-11-135. No Permit License Is needed to carry the firearm inside your Motor Vehicle either openly or concealed.
Note: The GA Court of Appeals ruled in (Hubbard v. State, 210 Ga. App. 141, 143-44 1993) that if you do not have a permit/license honored in GA you can only carry a firearm in “Your Own Vehicle.” This means you can carry in “Your Own Vehicle” without a permit/license but if you are riding in a vehicle that is not yours you must have permission of the person who has legal control of the vehicle

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nyckid211 said:
Straight from the books:

RV/Car Carry Without A Permit/License
§ 16-11-126. Possession and Carrying a Concealed Weapon; Penalty for Violating Licensing Requirement
(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.
(b) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a long gun without a valid weapons carry license, provided that if the long gun is loaded, it shall only be carried in an open and fully exposed manner.
(c) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry any handgun provided that it is enclosed in a case and unloaded.
(d) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun who is eligible for a weapons carry license may transport a handgun or long gun in any private passenger motor vehicle; provided, however, that private property owners or persons in legal control of property through a lease, rental agreement, licensing agreement, contract, or any other agreement to control access to such property shall have the right to forbid possession of a weapon or long gun on their property, except as provided in Code Section 16-11-135. No Permit License Is needed to carry the firearm inside your Motor Vehicle either openly or concealed.
Note: The GA Court of Appeals ruled in (Hubbard v. State, 210 Ga. App. 141, 143-44 1993) that if you do not have a permit/license honored in GA you can only carry a firearm in “Your Own Vehicle.” This means you can carry in “Your Own Vehicle” without a permit/license but if you are riding in a vehicle that is not yours you must have permission of the person who has legal control of the vehicle
Thanks. I will call them just to make sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts