Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given the tragedy of recent events, my local theater does NOT have a posted "no weapons allowed" stickers, fliers, or posters.

My dilemma is, I want to see Dark Knight tonight. With no posted policy, if I walk in (dressed professionally, of course) open carrying, if they say anything to me, what can I do? I will not be a victim or a bystander.
 

·
GrassHopper
Joined
·
8,204 Posts
Ghost23 said:
Given the tragedy of recent events, my local theater does NOT have a posted "no weapons allowed" stickers, fliers, or posters.

My dilemma is, I want to see Dark Knight tonight. With no posted policy, if I walk in (dressed professionally, of course) open carrying, if they say anything to me, what can I do? I will not be a victim or a bystander.
Might I suggest concealed carry?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't have my CWP yet. Of course I don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable or on edge, but as I said, I want to be safe, also.
 

·
GrassHopper
Joined
·
8,204 Posts
Ghost23 said:
Don't have my CWP yet. Of course I don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable or on edge, but as I said, I want to be safe, also.
I open carry everywhere I can, movie theaters don't allow weapons here. You run a risk either way, persecution or potentially being unarmed during an attack.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,612 Posts
You'll be asked to leave, as a business they have the right to refuse you. If you don't leave, then your trespassing.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,612 Posts
True, but you would think that management would be understanding of such a concern.
Nope they don't care about you...
Yep, they are more concerned with everyone that could be offended by your handgun.

Not to be callous, but sit in the middle, away from any exits/entrances. If something happens drop to the floor and wait. I imagine that some of the injuries were from panicked people.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,460 Posts
True, but you would think that management would be understanding of such a concern.
No they will not. And you will not be speaking to management, at least not right away.

It'll be the ticketboy in the hall. Or the ticket sales clerk. If you ask to speak to a manager, it will still be seen as creating a scene, and attracting attention while carrying is the last thing you want.

Besides, (at least in Nevada) if any employee asks you to leave due to the open firearm, they are speaking on behalf of management, and (over here) you need to leave at the first request, otherwise it is trespassing.

And if someone did that in a theater where it is not posted, I will bet that either that afternoon or the very next day it will be posted. No Firearms Allowed.

It is sad, and it is unfortunate, and it is frustrating. But it is what it is.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Happysniper1 said:
No they will not. And you will not be speaking to management, at least not right away.

It'll be the ticketboy in the hall. Or the ticket sales clerk. If you ask to speak to a manager, it will still be seen as creating a scene, and attracting attention while carrying is the last thing you want.

Besides, (at least in Nevada) if any employee asks you to leave due to the open firearm, they are speaking on behalf of management, and (over here) you need to leave at the first request, otherwise it is trespassing.

And if someone did that in a theater where it is not posted, I will bet that either that afternoon or the very next day it will be posted. No Firearms Allowed.

It is sad, and it is unfortunate, and it is frustrating. But it is what it is.
I think I've decided against it. But when I do get my CWP, I'll carry everywhere but federal and local govt buildings. Well, airports too, but that's a given lol
 

·
Happy Member :)
Joined
·
5,220 Posts
It's a double edge sword in my opinion, if you wear it openly and someone is offended they might call the police on you( especially with what happened in CO) unless your state is a state where you can openly carry. Here in Florida you can openly carry while fishing or hunting and that is it. On the other hand if you get caught concealing a weapon without a license you can also be arrested for having a concealed weapon without a permit( which I believe would prevent you from getting a permit in the future).
 

·
GrassHopper
Joined
·
8,204 Posts
gladesbassin said:
It's a double edge sword in my opinion, if you wear it openly and someone is offended they might call the police on you( especially with what happened in CO) unless your state is a state where you can openly carry. Here in Florida you can openly carry while fishing or hunting and that is it. On the other hand if you get caught concealing a weapon without a license you can also be arrested for having a concealed weapon without a permit( which I believe would prevent you from getting a permit in the future).
Here in AZ it's a class three misdemeanor to CC under 21. It is a fine for $500 just like a speeding ticket, which is also a class 3 misdemeanor. That said, I have taken the legal risk before, out of concern for a greater personal risk.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
gladesbassin said:
It's a double edge sword in my opinion, if you wear it openly and someone is offended they might call the police on you( especially with what happened in CO) unless your state is a state where you can openly carry. Here in Florida you can openly carry while fishing or hunting and that is it. On the other hand if you get caught concealing a weapon without a license you can also be arrested for having a concealed weapon without a permit( which I believe would prevent you from getting a permit in the future).
Missouri is an Open Carry state
 

·
Happy Member :)
Joined
·
5,220 Posts
Well ghost, since your in an open carry state it wouldn't hurt to try. Better safe than sorry is what my grandfather taught me at a young age. Simple but effective in survival situations. If they tell you that you can't take it in the theater apologize and leave. Very respectful is the way to go.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
gladesbassin said:
Well ghost, since your in an open carry state it wouldn't hurt to try. Better safe than sorry is what my grandfather taught me at a young age. Simple but effective in survival situations. If they tell you that you can't take it in the theater apologize and leave. Very respectful is the way to go.
Yeah that's the way I'm thinking. Like I said, I just don't want to offend anyone after what happened yesterday. That's my biggest concern.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
If you open carry in a large public place like that with a lot of people just be careful who gets close to you. You never know if the person behind you is crazy enough to grab you gun.

Then again that is just my paranoid mind thinking. :)

Me personaly I all ways what till the movie come to dvd/blue-ray so I can enjoy it in the comforts of my own home.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Yeah that's the way I'm thinking. Like I said, I just don't want to offend anyone after what happened yesterday. That's my biggest concern.
Anyone with a brain should understand why your carrying there. lol :p
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Support Gunner said:
If you open carry in a large public place like that with a lot of people just be careful who gets close to you. You never know if the person behind you is crazy enough to grab you gun.

Then again that is just my paranoid mind thinking. :)

Me personaly I all ways what till the movie come to dvd/blue-ray so I can enjoy it in the comforts of my own home.
My left arm stays free at all times, always within six inches of my gun. And I'm using a blackhawk retention holster, which is hard to draw from without being right on top of it. Plus I have it angled forward at about a 70° angle.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Support Gunner said:
Anyone with a brain should understand why your carrying there. lol :p
I would hope so. But there's always that one liberal who screams it offends her. Haha
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top