Glock Forum banner

Need advice with first glock

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  glock_mathews 
#1 ·
So 2 weeks ago i bought my very first glock. Its a G30S. After about 150 rounds i got some issues with my groupings. I first started with some 8in diameter steel plates from about 15 yards. I didn't connect a single time with 10 shots. So i got out some paper targets to see how far off i am. After a magazine, i can tell I'm shooting way low and to the right. After i adjusted my sight picture, I'm hitting where i want but my groups are still horrible.im using standard american eagle federal ammunition and I've been shooting for about 15 years now, and the only pistols i've shot regularly are 1911s, Sigs, and Rugers. So I'm totally new to the safe action trigger, and have little experience with striker fired pistols in general, and i would like to believe it isn't poor shooting fundamentals on my part.

So i need some advice and solutions. As i said I'm new to the safe action trigger. Does it take time to get use to it? apparently 150 rounds isn't enough for me.

would yall suggest i get a 3.5lb connector, instead of the stock 5.5lb?

How the hell is the best way to adjust the sights?

thanks,

clay

See less See more
#2 ·
I wouldnt say its poor shooting on your part but there is always room for improvement. For me personally going from 1911s to Glocks was different to say the least but i did get used to it. Only things ive changed on my glock is a heavier connector and meprolight night sights. Oh and lots of ammo. Hope any of this helps.

Es Mi Tierra

#3 ·
My advice is to master the trigger reset. The reset is to me your best friend in accuracy with the Glocks. JMO.

Sent from my iPod touch using Glock Forum

#4 ·
The chart

The chart will help. (I'm not being a wise-a**). When I first went from a Colt 1911 to my 1st Glock, I was ready to take it right back to the gun shop for one that "shot straight". For me it was in the grip, (too tight) going from a gun with a grip safety to a gun without one.

Attachments

#7 ·
Good advice above. 150 rounds is just enough to get warmed up. As stated snap caps are a great tool. Some will say you don't need them with a Glock but its CHEAP insurance.

A small amount of trigger practice a few days a week will make a big difference. Better to do 5min a few days a week than an hour once a week.

Sent from my iPhone

#9 ·
Thanks guys i appreciate it. I'm a lefty so i need to loosen up my grip. I guess I'm just frustrated spending $600 and that was my first results. But overall i love it. the 30s is a great concealable pistol, and i love the fact its 10+1 of 45 in a great compact size. i got at least another 100-150 rounds set aside for this weekend to get more practice with it.

Also still, whats the best way to adjust the rear sights?

-clay

#10 ·
Best way to adjust the sights is to replace them; the stock sights are the worst part of a new Glock. I like Truglo TFOs, but there are a lot of good options out there.

#11 ·
The chart for our southpaw friends

Thanks guys i appreciate it. I'm a lefty so i need to loosen up my grip.
The lefty chart

Attachments

#12 ·
Also still, whats the best way to adjust the rear sights?

-clay
Clay, before you do any sight adjusting, I would absolutely make sure that your shooting technique(s) is not adding to the problem you are experiencing. Practice and dry-firing to improve trigger control should help things get better, so get a good baseline first - before moving the rear sight.

If you have a friend that shoots "lights out" and you can trust, have them shoot your Glock just to be sure the sights are "on." Only after you spend some more time with your gun (or if someone else can confirm if the sights are ok) should you consider moving the sights. Best of luck and regards.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.